Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Global COVID-19 vaccine distribution efforts

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
jadednihilist

Global COVID-19 vaccine distribution efforts

Post by jadednihilist » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:53 pm

While the US approaches a tipping point in supply vs demand (vaccine hesitancy/increasing appointment vacancies), much of the rest of the world lags behind in the vaccination effort. India is in the midst of its worst surge to date and is running desperately low on resources, including oxygen, to treat patients. The Biden administration to date has denied urgent requests to lift bans on vaccine exports amid the surge, essentially reinforcing the "America First" policies of the previous administration. Instead, it seems as if China is positioning themselves to aid the world's largest democracy: https://www.newsweek.com/china-ready-he ... an-1585839

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Matt

Re: Global COVID-19 vaccine distribution efforts

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:40 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:53 pm
While the US approaches a tipping point in supply vs demand (vaccine hesitancy/increasing appointment vacancies), much of the rest of the world lags behind in the vaccination effort. India is in the midst of its worst surge to date and is running desperately low on resources, including oxygen, to treat patients. The Biden administration to date has denied urgent requests to lift bans on vaccine exports amid the surge, essentially reinforcing the "America First" policies of the previous administration. Instead, it seems as if China is positioning themselves to aid the world's largest democracy: https://www.newsweek.com/china-ready-he ... an-1585839
There has been some criticism of the administration for sitting on the AstraZeneca vaccine when it doesn't have emergency authorization here, which I believe is very fair. As we pass the tipping point, we really need to look at providing supply to allies, including our neighbors to the north. The lack of responsiveness to requests from India is a H*** strategic blunder.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:06 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:40 pm

There has been some criticism of the administration for sitting on the AstraZeneca vaccine when it doesn't have emergency authorization here, which I believe is very fair. As we pass the tipping point, we really need to look at providing supply to allies, including our neighbors to the north. The lack of responsiveness to requests from India is a H*** strategic blunder.

Your neighbours to the north are the laggards among the world's wealthy, industrialized nations, That's because we were dumb enough to elect an incompetent Liberal government. Our Prime Minister couldn't run a lemonade stand.

Lend us Joe Biden for 100 days.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:18 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:06 pm
Matt wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:40 pm

Your neighbours to the north are the laggards among the world's wealthy, industrialized nations, That's because we were dumb enough to elect an incompetent Liberal government. Our Prime Minister couldn't run a lemonade stand.

Lend us Joe Biden for 100 days.
You can have him forever.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:25 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:53 pm
You must have missed my thread from just a few days ago talking about how the Chinese vaccine sucks compared to ours. Independent studies found it to barely be over 50% effective after 2 doses (perhaps as low as single-digit effective after 1 dose).

https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 24&t=57417

Having China vaccinate the world is NOT going to get us to worldwide herd immunity with those kinds of numbers.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:38 pm

Thank you for sharing the link to the previous thread. I agree the Chinese vaccine efficacy is low, but my post is more to do with the optics of resource sharing vs the strategy of hoarding resources -- especially towards key strategic allies, like India. The Chinese vaccine may not be the solution, but fight against COVID-19 is global and the US has the means and the obligation to assist in global efforts. Otherwise, as Matt has pointed out, it will be yet another of many blunders in our foreign policy.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:52 pm

I agree that the US should be leading the worldwide effort to get people vaccinated. I fear that our current administration will be focused on forcing demand here that doesn't exist and hoarding supplies for said non-existent demand instead of sending those supplies where they WOULD make a big difference. Not only that, for obvious political reasons, we don't want to be upstaged by China in this effort.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:02 pm

Agreed. The easiest thing the US can do here is lift the export ban.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:19 pm

:
Such fucking hypocrisy from the usual suspects. Biden has done a masterful job of distributing the vaccine...let's give him a chance to see what he can do now that things have changed rather quickly.

And you assholes actually think your idol idiot Trump would have helped other countries in need?!? :lol :lol: :lol. Only if they paid up!

The censorship king from out of state.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:38 pm

I voted for Biden, but that does not mean that I won't be critical of his administration just as I would any other. He's in the driver's seat now, not Trump. The metric in which we hold our leaders accountable should not be in how they compare to their predecessors, but how the manage the challenges they encounter in the present. Should the Biden Administration change course, I would absolutely applaud that. The sooner it happens, the better.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:46 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:38 pm
I voted for Biden, but that does not mean that I won't be critical of his administration just as I would any other. He's in the driver's seat now, not Trump. The metric in which we hold our leaders accountable should not be in how they compare to their predecessors, but how the manage the challenges they encounter in the present. Should the Biden Administration change course, I would absolutely applaud that. The sooner it happens, the better.
Exactly. Give it time. If Biden doesn't pivot with the vaccines in the next 7-10 days, I will agree with the criticism.

But these fools had been blowing Trump for his America ONLY philosophy for 4 years. Everybody knows he would ignore India in a time of real need. Now, they pretend to care.

The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:33 pm

The administration is going to share 60M AstraZeneca vaccines with the world, per the WSJ.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:08 pm

Biden needs to get the AstraZeneca vaccine to India ASAP; Matt is correct.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:14 pm

That is positive news. I did see that Biden tweeted a commitment to helping out India as well.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Wed May 05, 2021 6:27 pm

As ineffective as it is, the Chinese will not send their vaccines to India or Taiwan. We need to send our vaccines there, after our people are vaccinated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic