Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another Black Eye For The F.B.I.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Another Black Eye For The F.B.I.

Post by Bryce » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:20 pm

(CBS) — Brandon Scott Hole, the suspect in the Indianapolis FedEx shooting rampage, was interviewed last year by the FBI after Hole’s mother believed he might try to take his own life by engaging in a violent confrontation with police.

Hole’s mother contacted the FBI in March, 2020 “to report he might try to commit ‘suicide by cop,’ ” the FBI said in a statement.

The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department put Hold in mental health detention while agents investigated, the statement said.

A shotgun was seized at his residence and he was interviewed by the FBI in April. Agents found no criminal violation. The agents also did not believe Hold showed any signs of racially motivated violence, according to the statement.
Another mass shooting suspect that was on the F.B.I.'s radar. Reported mental health issues. Yet, it doesn't seem they saw fit to enter him into the data base of people not allowed to purchase a firearm.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Re: Another Black Eye For The F.B.I.

Post by TC Talks » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:44 pm

If they were your type of cop they would have just killed him on the spot.

The point is that law enforcement really can't do anything until someone commits a crime or behaves in a way that suggests violence is very likely.

If they did an evaluation and he happened to be in a good frame of mind at that time what should they have done?

I'm getting tired of the lazy boy quarterbacking going on by old white guys.

The reality is we should have better gun laws and this wouldn't have happened.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:54 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:44 pm

The reality is we should have better gun laws and this wouldn't have happened.
Really? I can't wait for our resident racial, policing and firearm expert from the north to tell us which laws that we don't already have would have kept this from happening.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 pm

If there were only means of intervention where police and family members could identify and take custodial action against people who exhibit dangerous behavior and hold firearms...

OH FUCK... I THINK THEY ARE CALLED "RED FLAG" LAWS, like the proposals Mitch McConnel deep-sixes every time they get in the same area code as the Senate floor.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:24 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 pm
If there were only means of intervention where police and family members could identify and take custodial action against people who exhibit dangerous behavior and hold firearms...

OH FUCK... I THINK THEY ARE CALLED "RED FLAG" LAWS, like the proposals Mitch McConnel deep-sixes every time they get in the same area code as the Senate floor.
Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(d), it is unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution.”
If the FBI wanted to, they could have entered this person into the federal NCIS data base. If purchasing through a FFL, he would have been denied. They didn't. They should have.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:21 am

Um, the State of Indiana HAS a Red Flag Law in place. But, like any law, it does little good if it's not used or enforced.

Local law enforcement confiscated the shotgun he had during the initial investigation, the FBI conducted a follow up investigation and neglected to follow through.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:36 pm

I gotta say this.
Before we dog the FBI for letting this one fall thru the cracks, I have to ponder how many have they stopped. Seems we only hear about the ones they didn't stop. What's their ERA?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:48 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:21 am

Um, the State of Indiana HAS a Red Flag Law in place. But, like any law, it does little good if it's not used or enforced.

Local law enforcement confiscated the shotgun he had during the initial investigation, the FBI conducted a follow up investigation and neglected to follow through.
This link to the Indianapolis Star might make it a bit more clear for you:
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/cri ... 276439002/

As you point out, it's an Indiana law, so it's their jurisdiction. Put it in federal law and if the FBI blows it then it's on them. I don't understand the hard-on you have against the FBI.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:55 pm

The Indiana law needs more teeth for sure, but Bryce is completely correct that the FBI dropped the ball.

I guess they are only interested in white collar criminals and drug lords. It's unacceptable, and FBI leadership needs to be held accountable.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:55 pm
The Indiana law needs more teeth for sure, but Bryce is completely correct that the FBI dropped the ball.

I guess they are only interested in white collar criminals and drug lords. It's unacceptable, and FBI leadership needs to be held accountable.
I guess the larger point to me is as long as there's a hodgepodge of local, state and federal statutes in terms of "red flag" actionability it should be no surprise whatsoever that individual cases will fall through the cracks. It simply makes it ripe for "spin the bottle" on which agency plays the fall guy during the next massacre. Are we really ahead of the game if this week's shooting happened because the FBI fucked up, then next week's is an ATF screwup and the week after is some local police department? Seems like an excuse to write it all off and do nothing but shrug and give yourself absolution by racking it up to "Can't stop crazy people" while the dead bodies stack up.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:36 pm

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:48 pm
I don't understand the hard-on you have against the FBI.
I don't have a hard-on against the F.B.I. If you need a book keeper, an accountant or lawyer to solve a crime, they do a bang up job. Occasionally, they solve a case involving a serial killer, (They didn't do such a bang up job with our Oakland County child killer and how many years have they had with Jimmy Hoffa?) When it comes to the local day to day policing of a community, they suck more than a Hoover.

One thing they are SUPPOSED to be good at is lists and databases. The F.B.I. is in charge of keeping the NICS registry. Anyone that should not be allowed to purchase a firearm from an FFL is supposed to be on that list.

A person reported to local law enforcement, by a parent, as someone that is a prime candidate to do a "suicide by cop" and has their firearm taken away by local law enforcement and then subsequently interviewed by the F.B.I. which found questionable evidence, certainly seems like a prime candidate NOT to be allowed to purchase two AK-47's. They didn't follow up. He didn't get added to the data base. They own this.

We don't need more gun laws when we can't even use the ones we have.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic