Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Who guns are actually killing

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Who guns are actually killing

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:20 pm

Here are facts, not truthy factoid parroted by NRA card holding losers.
Last year at least 371 children stumbled across a loaded gun and fired, causing 143 deaths and 243 injuries. In one case, a 3-year-old shot himself to death with a pistol that had fallen out of the pocket of a member of his family — apparently while the adults were playing cards.

None of this has led to any significant change in the national attitude toward deadly weapons. Many Americans like to arm themselves to the teeth as protection from crime — and bleep over the danger that comes with all that hardware, especially in the hands of people who aren’t really equipped to use it.

“Research shows that 39 percent of gun owners have no safety training,” reports Everytown for Gun Safety, which thinks a lot about this sort of thing. Another survey found only 14 percent of the people living with gun owners had any formal instruction.

Now handling a gun properly, being capable of aiming it accurately, and following the guidelines for safe storage isn’t easy. Kudos to the people who make the effort. But even they aren’t necessarily going to be able to keep their cool in some sort of shooting crisis. You have to worry how many overoptimistically imagine that they can.

And what some of them will do in quieter moments. A majority of all gun deaths are suicides. One study found that in 2018, an average of 67 Americans shot themselves to death every day.

Given the deep downside of gun proliferation, it’s remarkably easy to buy one legally. But some gun enthusiasts — oh, heck, let’s just call them the gun crazies — seem to regard any rules whatsoever as a betrayal of the founding fathers.

“Who do you think you are — to disarm Americans and leave them vulnerable?” our old friend Representative Lauren Boebert of Colorado asked the House, as members prepared to pass — by a narrow margin — two bills making very modest adjustments in our current, wildly inadequate, gun safety laws. Both are on their way to the Senate, where supporters are girding for battle, with approximately as much optimism as the Baltimore Orioles.

“I have to believe there’s hope. Otherwise I’d have trouble coming to work in the morning,” said Senator Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut.

Connecticut legislators have been among the nation’s most dedicated gun safety crusaders, especially since 2012, when a disturbed 20-year-old killed his mother, grabbed the household assault rifle and two pistols, then marched off to Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, where he killed 26 people, 20 of them children.

I can remember exactly where I was sitting at The Times when I heard the news. Way at the beginning of my career I was a part-time reporter for The Newtown Bee. The relationship was infinitesimal, but the memory still haunts me.

We’ve had a lot of tragic gun-related headlines lately. The story of the baby’s death was overshadowed by a crisis in Minnesota, where an officer yelling “Taser! Taser!” pulled the trigger on a man she’d stopped for expired tags. And, as the whole nation now knows, the Taser was actually a loaded gun.

“Holy shit!” the officer shouted in horror after she realized what she’d done. How many Americans do you think muttered the same thing when they first heard the story? We are thinking about this tragedy in terms of race, and police relations with minority communities. As well we should.

One partial answer to the problem of police shootings is regular, intensive instruction on how to handle a gun in a crisis. Most departments require at least an occasional trip to the shooting range for target practice, but, as Blumenthal notes, “that’s not really training for how to react in an emergency situation,” when things are moving fast and other people may already have their weapons drawn.

Given that there are close to 400 million guns in the land, many of them loaded, it should be very clear that our greatest domestic security challenge is carving the number down and making sure the people who possess them are responsible citizens.
NY Times

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Re: Who guns are actually killing

Post by km1125 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:34 pm

That's the paper they use to line cat litter boxes, right?

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:39 pm

I'm pretty sure the New York Times would revoke your subscription if they knew you were routinely copying and pasting entire pay-for articles.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:02 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:39 pm
I'm pretty sure the New York Times would revoke your subscription if they knew you were routinely copying and pasting entire pay-for articles.
Go ahead report me. I bet if I posted the editorials renouncing covid-19 safety protocols you wouldn't say a word.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:03 am

km1125 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:34 pm
That's the paper they use to line cat litter boxes, right?
generally when things start showing up in the New York Times laws or policy soon follow.

― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:08 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:20 pm
a crisis in Minnesota, where an officer yelling “Taser! Taser!” pulled the trigger on a man she’d stopped for expired tags. .
NY Times
Expired tags? Well, I guess that's better than the air freshener from the rear view narrative that first was put forth. Yet, the person opining fails to mention the active warrant, resisting and failure to comply part. N.Y. Times. Imagine that?

Question regarding gun related suicides. What leads you to believe that someone hell bent on suicide wouldn't find another way if a firearm wasn't available to them? We going to control razor blades and bathtubs too? Jumping off of overpasses into oncoming traffic?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:12 am

TC Talks wrote:

Given the deep downside of gun proliferation, it’s remarkably easy to buy one legally.
NY Times
Would you care to venture a guess as to the rate of of gun deaths caused by legally purchased and owned firearms versus those purchased and kept illegally?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:51 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:08 am
TC Talks wrote:
a crisis in Minnesota, where an officer yelling “Taser! Taser!” pulled the trigger on a man she’d stopped for expired tags. .
NY Times
Expired tags? Well, I guess that's better than the air freshener from the rear view narrative that first was put forth. Yet, the person opining fails to mention the active warrant, resisting and failure to comply part. N.Y. Times. Imagine that?

Question regarding gun related suicides. What leads you to believe that someone hell bent on suicide wouldn't find another way if a firearm wasn't available to them? We going to control razor blades and bathtubs too? Jumping off of overpasses into oncoming traffic?
We already control suicide. It’s illegal. Therefore trying to cut oneself, trying to drown oneself or jumping off an overpass to flatten oneself are all illegal and you can throw trespassing onto that last one.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:06 am

And you see how well mkaing suicide illegal has done...No one ever offs themselves...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:10 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:51 am
We already control suicide. It’s illegal. Therefore trying to cut oneself, trying to drown oneself or jumping off an overpass to flatten oneself are all illegal and you can throw trespassing onto that last one.
I would assume committing suicide with a gun is illegal too? Not sure I understand your counter point to my premise here.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:27 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:10 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:51 am
I would assume committing suicide with a gun is illegal too? Not sure I understand your counter point to my premise here.
My point was that you said are we going to control the weapons commonly used absent a gun... my point is that we already due as soon as there is a whiff of suicide and the authorities get wind of it.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:39 pm

Yes, committing suicide with a gun is illegal. Committing suicide with anything is illegal.

In some cases, the police don't call it 'murder', they call it 'suicide by cop'. The police didn't kill him; he killed himself; the police just pulled the trigger.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic