Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Banning the Bible from Libraries

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Banning the Bible from Libraries

Post by TC Talks » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:13 pm

It's not age appropriate, it's message includes homophobia, murder, advocacy of slavery.

Since we are banning controversial books, let's ban the one promoting hate and causes more wars than any other ever published.
A panel of Fox News hosts expressed outrage on Thursday after one Texas school district temporarily removed the Bible for review during a push by conservatives to ban certain school books.

Fox News host Kayleigh McEnany reported the news on the Outnumbered program. She said Anne Frank's diary is also facing review. In total, about 40 books are being reviewed by the Texas district.

Hosts of the Fox News program argued that the review should be limited to books with gay and transgender themes.

"The Bible, the most read book in human history," McEnany remarked, "Over the last 50 years, nearly 4 billion copies have been sold. Compare that to Harry Potter, which is number three at 400 million."

"Not only that, foundation of the world's largest religion," she continued. "A classic historical text. If you don't believe it in the religious context, at least it can be appreciated in that context. But that's the one we're removing!"

"What's so difficult to digest here is that the whim of a few has such an impact on the many," co-host Emily Compagno said. "This is literature that this school should be exposed to. And yet because someone else said we're going to review it again, all of the sudden it's back under review."

"The fact that because one person or three people put the Bible on the list [is] absolutely horrifying," she continued. "And this is when the school administrators need to step up and say absolutely not."

She added: "Because the default here as well is if someone subjected it to review, then it's automatically taken off the shelf while they decide. But every day without the Bible is a day lost!"

McEnany agreed and said that only "new" books should be banned.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Banning the Bible from Libraries

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:20 pm

Well, the right wingers banned "To Kill a Mockingbird" from libraries and schools because it could make kids uncomfortable. Under their same standards, wouldn't Song of Solomon be considered grooming material? What about Old Testament violence?
Last edited by MotorCityRadioFreak on Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:28 pm

There's too much sex in the Bible. All that begetting. And what about Job and his daughters.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:35 pm

You're getting my point. Any library banning books should include the bible. Most people who profess to be Christians never read the thing anyway. They would be behaving a lot differently than they are. You can pick and choose scriptures and justify being a horrible person.
Students at the Keller Independent School District outside Fort Worth, Texas, went back to school Wednesday. But instead of the focus being on their return, much of the attention has been heaped on an email that was sent out the day before, instructing school staff to pull all copies of a list of more than 40 books from classrooms and school libraries.

The books that were pulled include the graphic novel adaptation of Anne Frank's diary, all versions of the Bible and numerous books with LGBTQ+ themes or characters. The School Board did not say why the Bible and the Anne Frank book were removed, but parents had objected to them, according to the list.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:55 pm

Years ago my wife worked as hotel maid. She says the one item most often stolen from rooms is the Bible.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:57 am

Interesting discussion.
Let's just say Christians and conservatives went along with pulling the Bible off the shelves for the reasons Turkey and TC have brought up. Sure seems to be a powerful tool to use to have other books they don't agree with pulled.

kager

Post by kager » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:34 am

What were those who founded the US were looking for?

Freedom of what?

Ah, but that's passe now...

Face it: the founders were so naive, and you, well - so much smarter and self-aware...

You just keep enjoying those freedoms whilst your spreading hypocritical hate about them.
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:11 am

How different is banning books you don't like from tearing down statues you don't like?
Both are a form of art that may have controversial themes.
I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:16 am

Banning books from everywhere, or just trying to make things more age-appropriate in schools??

Should we be teaching 2nd graders about the world by showing them graphic pictures of ISIS torturing their captives? That's just reality, isn't it? Might be uncomfortable and controversial, but shouldn't we be teaching them about life? [/sarc]

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:55 am

km1125 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:16 am

... Should we be teaching 2nd graders about the world by showing them graphic pictures of ISIS torturing their captives? That's just reality, isn't it? Might be uncomfortable and controversial, but shouldn't we be teaching them about life? [/sarc]
Well, if you're going to go there, just what should kids still in primary be taught? Should education at those ages be focused more on getting math, reading and writing down pat first?

Using your example, who cares about ISIS if they don't know long division yet.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:23 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:55 am
km1125 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:16 am

... Should we be teaching 2nd graders about the world by showing them graphic pictures of ISIS torturing their captives? That's just reality, isn't it? Might be uncomfortable and controversial, but shouldn't we be teaching them about life? [/sarc]
Well, if you're going to go there, just what should kids still in primary be taught? Should education at those ages be focused more on getting math, reading and writing down pat first?

Using your example, who cares about ISIS if they don't know long division yet.
I think we're on the same page (you did see the /sarc at the end of my post, right?)

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:45 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:11 am
How different is banning books you don't like from tearing down statues you don't like?
Both are a form of art that may have controversial themes.
I'm just saying... If a library is going to ban books, let's start with this one.

I am for the open access to all books, including the The Anarchist Cookbook.
― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:10 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:45 pm
I'm just saying... If a library is going to ban books, let's start with this one.

I am for the open access to all books, including the The Anarchist Cookbook.
Circling around :) to what I said about Christians and Conservatives going along with banning the Bible for the reasons Turkey and yourself state, they'll never think outside the box.

I'm reminded of Dearborn 20 years ago. Remember when Arabs wanted to put loudspeakers on top of the temples and announce (I think it was a call to prayer) 3 times a day. People in Dearborn pissed and moaned about it. Instead of saying "Sure, sounds like a great idea". And turn around and start blasting The Lord's Prayer from bullhorns on top of Christian churches.

How quick would the same people supporting what the Arabs wanted to do say "Whoa, wait a minute" if the Christians had done the same thing?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:35 pm

Deleted User 15783 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:10 pm

OK

Who just deleted?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:44 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:35 pm
Deleted User 15783 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:10 pm

OK

Who just deleted?
"In The Bleachers".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic