Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MLB pulls all-star game and draft out of Georgia over new voting laws

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Chrocket87

Re: MLB pulls all-star game and draft out of Georgia over new voting laws

Post by Chrocket87 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:18 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 am
bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 am
Even from a PR and economic standpoint, I just don't understand why professional sports leagues as of late insist on making political statements. Do they not get that the average person watching their games does so precisely to ESCAPE from the real world and from politics for a few hours? And baseball in particular has for decades been known as "America's pastime." How does this recent move help with that image?
So what they have done is anti-American and opposing the Georgia law by extension is also anti-American?
You focused on the wrong word in my use of the phrase "America's pastime." I was referring specifically to not helping with the image that watching baseball is an apolitical hobby.
+1
I watch sports to not have to hear partisan political statements. I have plenty of other avenues to go to if I want partisan politics.

On the other hand, congratulations to the Texas Rangers for hosting a home opener with 100 percent capacity. Every stadium should be doing this.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:39 pm

zzand wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:54 am
Which still proves my point that they chose bad
Yes but at 70-some percent that’s “it’s your own damn fault since you’re the majority there why don’t you have control of the place if you think it’s so bad” territory. That context matters.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:41 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:18 pm
bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 am
bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 am
Even from a PR and economic standpoint, I just don't understand why professional sports leagues as of late insist on making political statements. Do they not get that the average person watching their games does so precisely to ESCAPE from the real world and from politics for a few hours? And baseball in particular has for decades been known as "America's pastime." How does this recent move help with that image?
So what they have done is anti-American and opposing the Georgia law by extension is also anti-American?
You focused on the wrong word in my use of the phrase "America's pastime." I was referring specifically to not helping with the image that watching baseball is an apolitical hobby.
+1
I watch sports to not have to hear partisan political statements. I have plenty of other avenues to go to if I want partisan politics.

On the other hand, congratulations to the Texas Rangers for hosting a home opener with 100 percent capacity. Every stadium should be doing this.
I don’t think we are quite ready for 100% capacity. Certainly not here with the way things are going.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:00 pm

And certainly not with the way this virus essentially hides itself before someone knows they have it. Being outdoors will help mitigate some of that, I hope beyond hope.

While everyone that attended accepted the risk, they didn't do so for anyone they might come into contact with outside of the ballpark if they get sick with COVID.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:24 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:00 pm
And certainly not with the way this virus essentially hides itself before someone knows they have it. Being outdoors will help mitigate some of that, I hope beyond hope.

While everyone that attended accepted the risk, they didn't do so for anyone they might come into contact with outside of the ballpark if they get sick with COVID.
And I’ve heard more than a few people begin there response to that decision to accept the risk and put others at risk as “how dare you?”...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:05 pm

I love the letter that Senator Rubio penned.

Indeed, he was SPOT ON.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:14 pm

Nobody plays victim like a conservative.
Are you a Republican voter irked by the state of American politics? If so, party leaders have some exciting marching orders for you: Dump your Diet Coke and shut off that episode of “NCIS” — or whatever ViacomCBS show you may be watching. Cash in your Delta plane tickets, close your Citibank account, flush your Merck meds and tell your kids not to ship you anything via UPS. And, oh, yeah, no patronizing Major League Baseball until further notice. Not the Yankees. Not the Dodgers. Not even the poor Pirates.

These restrictions may sound extreme, especially for a pandemic-weary populace, but they are part of a crucial new front in the culture war, the latest mark of true MAGA patriotism. The Republican Party has declared war on segments of corporate America for daring to protest, through words or, worse still, direct action, the ongoing assault on voting rights, and the troops are being rallied. Starting out, this means boycotts. Sprawling ones. (The hundreds of verboten Coca-Cola products alone are hard to keep track of — Dasani, vitaminwater, Topo Chico!) But even more sacrifices, and chaos, may be yet to come.

Ordinarily, Republicans enjoy a snuggly relationship with corporate America, which appreciates the party’s tax-slashing, antiregulatory inclinations. But the G.O.P.’s latest crusade hasn’t been so much pro-business as antidemocratic: pushing hundreds of measures in dozens of states that are expected to make voting more burdensome, especially for poor and minority communities.

In Georgia, for instance, the Republican-controlled legislature passed a bill last month that contains “16 key provisions that will limit ballot access, potentially confuse voters and give more power to Republican lawmakers,” according to a Times analysis. These include tightening restrictions on absentee voting and making it illegal to provide water to people waiting in line to vote. (It remains unclear when proper hydration became part of a partisan power grab by Democrats.)

This manipulation of the electoral system has sparked a fierce backlash. Activists, including some of Georgia’s faith leaders, have moved to organize boycotts against locally based companies they say did too little to oppose the bill. They also have called on companies to stop donating to lawmakers who backed it.

Prominent executives, some of whom said precious little about the bill before its passage, have been speaking out in recent days. “Let me be crystal clear and unequivocal. This legislation is unacceptable,” James Quincey, the C.E.O. of Cola-Cola, told CNBC last week. The C.E.O. of Delta, Ed Bastian, was similarly emphatic. “I need to make it crystal clear that the final bill is unacceptable and does not match Delta’s values,” he said in a memo to employees on Wednesday.

On Friday, Major League Baseball turned up the heat, announcing that it is was pulling July’s All-Star Game and the M.L.B. draft out of the state.

It’s a pity that these heavy hitters were not so clear about their objections before the bill passed. It’s easier to stop a noxious law than to repeal one — although the history of so-called bathroom bills shows that a reversal possible. In 2016, North Carolina legislators passed a measure restricting which public restrooms could be used by transgender people. The legislation spurred widespread pushback. Businesses froze planned investments in the state. Concerts and TV projects were canceled. The N.C.A.A. and N.B.A. pulled games. Key elements of the law were repealed in March 2017, and similar efforts were ultimately abandoned in other states.

Determined not to let this happen with their beloved voting restrictions — in Georgia or elsewhere — Republicans are launching a counterpressure campaign. From his Elba-like exile at Mar-a-Lago, former President Donald Trump issued a call on Saturday for the MAGAverse to boycott many of the companies speaking out against the restrictive voting measures. “Don’t go back to their products until they relent,” he directed. “We can play a better game than them.”

The Senate minority leader, Mitch McConnell, has proclaimed corporations’ meddling “stupid” and released this ominous statement: “Corporations will invite serious consequences if they become a vehicle for far-left mobs to hijack our country from outside the constitutional order. Businesses must not use economic blackmail to spread disinformation and push bad ideas that citizens reject at the ballot box.”

What sort of “serious consequences”? Well, some Republican senators are calling to remove pro baseball’s antitrust exemption, and there is talk of punishing other purveyors of “woke capitalism” using tax law. Last Wednesday, the Georgia House voted to strip Delta of a major tax break. With the session ending, the State Senate declined to take up the matter, but the message was clear. Economic blackmail, indeed.

With all the talk of boycotts and other penalties, it’s increasingly difficult to know what political statement one would be making by enjoying an ice-cold Fresca. Which is precisely the sort of muddiness and confusion that suits Mr. Trump and his merry band of nihilists.

Republicans have made clear that their preferred outcome in this matter is for corporations to shut up and go back to serving as campaign cash machines. During a Monday gripe session about how these businesses should “stay out of politics,” Mr. McConnell clarified that he was “not talking about political contributions.” Of course not. Fighting to classify unlimited campaign cash as constitutionally protected speech has been a cornerstone of his political career. In that one area, he is happy for corporate America to sound off all it wants.

As you’d imagine, the late-night comedians are having a field day with this mess. “Republicans say they’re going to boycott baseball,” riffed Jimmy Fallon on Monday. “They’re already boycotting the N.F.L. and the N.B.A. Soon their only sports will be golf and Jarts.”

Jarts are hilarious. Less so is the saga of how the Republican Party gave up on winning over voters with its ideas and instead adopted an antidemocratic, antimajoritarian strategy of retaining power.

The right to make one’s voice heard is a fundamental tenet of democracy. Efforts to undermine that right cannot go unchallenged. No matter how confounding the debate gets, the issue is too important for anyone, including America’s corporations, to stay silent.
Michelle Cottle New York Times

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:59 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:14 pm
And nobody plays the race card while lying their ass off like a lib.

No clear thinking individual takes the New York Slimes seriously any longer.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 pm

Yep, keep towing the party line...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:13 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:59 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:14 pm
And nobody plays the race card while lying their ass off like a lib.

No clear thinking individual takes the New York Slimes seriously any longer.
So that would be similar to say the Washington Times? Cant see how a clear thinking individual could take that seriously either.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:52 pm

A VERY good question was posed to CNN's Jake Tapper. "Will CNN be moving it's headquarters out of Atlanta?" He dodged the question. Imagine that.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:40 am

Kudos to whomever asked Tapper that question! :)

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:16 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:52 pm
A VERY good question was posed to CNN's Jake Tapper. "Will CNN be moving it's headquarters out of Atlanta?" He dodged the question. Imagine that.
No, it was a pointless showboat question on the order of asking a cashier at your local Starbucks why they might be using non-free trade beans. You want to know the reason behind some corporate decision? Ask the CEO, not some line worker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic