Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Chicago activists want to cancel... Obama????

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Chicago activists want to cancel... Obama????

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:57 pm

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 14896

Re: Chicago activists want to cancel... Obama????

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:33 am

Naming something after Obama? No big deal to me. But changing names because of whatever happened 200 years ago? I don't like it. It's time to stop the silliness.

What's next? Renaming streets?
I'm sure there is more than a few boulevards that are named after someone that owned a slave over 150 years ago. Stop the insanity.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:28 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:33 am
Naming something after Obama? No big deal to me. But changing names because of whatever happened 200 years ago? I don't like it. It's time to stop the silliness.

What's next? Renaming streets?
I'm sure there is more than a few boulevards that are named after someone that owned a slave over 150 years ago. Stop the insanity.
If the road is open and you get where you want to go does it really matter what the goddamn street name is?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:51 am

“I will not be part of renaming a school after someone who did not and does not represent the undocumented community,” said District 60 school board member Edgar Castellanos, who says he came to the U.S. as an undocumented child, according to ABC 7 Chicago.
Since its actually a crime to enter the country "undocumented" perhaps we should call undocumented immigrants criminal immigrants instead.
Having said that I'm not a hard ass who thinks every one of them needs to be rounded up and kicked out. At the same time we can't just let everyone stay who manages to sneak in.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:23 am

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:51 am
“I will not be part of renaming a school after someone who did not and does not represent the undocumented community,” said District 60 school board member Edgar Castellanos, who says he came to the U.S. as an undocumented child, according to ABC 7 Chicago.
Since its actually a crime to enter the country "undocumented" perhaps we should call undocumented immigrants criminal immigrants instead.
Having said that I'm not a hard ass who thinks every one of them needs to be rounded up and kicked out. At the same time we can't just let everyone stay who manages to sneak in.
Keeping them out isn’t exactly working... so why not an Ellis Island style system? At least we’d have some track of them then.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:45 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:23 am

Keeping them out isn’t exactly working... so why not an Ellis Island style system? At least we’d have some track of them then.
Can you clarify how you envision an Ellis Island system today?
That was a different time in history. Most immigrants were coming from Europe on ships.

I'm not some anti immigrant guy and don't pretend to have answers.
But it seems to me some liberals favor almost an open border or blanket amnesty without actually admitting it.
They loudly object to what they don't like but seem short on answers to what would work in the big picture.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:49 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:45 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:23 am

Can you clarify how you envision an Ellis Island system today?
That was a different time in history. Most immigrants were coming from Europe on ships.

I'm not some anti immigrant guy and don't pretend to have answers.
But it seems to me some liberals favor almost an open border or blanket amnesty without actually admitting it.
They loudly object to what they don't like but seem short on answers to what would work in the big picture.
A central location to legally process these people, trying to stop them is clearly failing no matter what we do. They are going to come absent seriously investing in their home areas to make them attractive enough to stay. At least this way there would be some organization to it. How they get here is wholly immaterial. The country eventually shut Ellis Island down in a fit of xenophobia.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:15 pm

I don't want to misinterpret you.
This central location, what percentage of people get in? Separate from some obvious rejects like known criminals, if everything seems " morally acceptable" do 100% get in? 50% ? Some predetermined set number like the first XX,000?.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:15 pm
This central location, what percentage of people get in? Separate from some obvious rejects like known criminals, if everything seems " morally acceptable" do 100% get in? 50% ? Some predetermined set number like the first XX,000?.
Those are details we can flesh out... I would lean towards a more the merrier approach myself. But we have to get some handle on this and organizing it seems more productive than making it heavily illegal and thus easy for criminal organizations to exploit people to make a boat load of money.

Recall that immigrants 100 years ago were not exactly welcomed either.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:59 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Those are details we can flesh out... I would lean towards a more the merrier approach myself. But we have to get some handle on this and organizing it seems more productive than making it heavily illegal and thus easy for criminal organizations to exploit people to make a boat load of money.

100 years ago we had 48 states and less than 1/3 the population. When Ellis Island first opened we had 1/5 the population.
If we did a "more the merrier" approach I would imagine a floodgate would open. I would also imagine a great number of these folks would come with minimal skills needing minimal skill jobs. How many jobs can we create for them? What happens to current citizens with minimum skills?
Can our healthcare system handle millions and millions of new people?
Can our social safety nets absorb the number of these minimum skill people who might struggle with basic necessities?
What happens to those central American countries when they lose a large number of the "good people"? People fed up with the situation at home wanting a better life?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:06 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:59 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 pm
craig11152 wrote:

100 years ago we had 48 states and less than 1/3 the population. When Ellis Island first opened we had 1/5 the population.
If we did a "more the merrier" approach I would imagine a floodgate would open. I would also imagine a great number of these folks would come with minimal skills needing minimal skill jobs. How many jobs can we create for them? What happens to current citizens with minimum skills?
Can our healthcare system handle millions and millions of new people?
Can our social safety nets absorb the number of these minimum skill people who might struggle with basic necessities?
What happens to those central American countries when they lose a large number of the "good people"? People fed up with the situation at home wanting a better life?
All good questions and they can be debated. But let’s have that debate. That’s more than our leaders are giving us now. And if the flood of folks was from Finland you’d see my idea happen in a heartbeat with everybody getting a cigar on the way in.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:22 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:06 pm

All good questions and they can be debated. But let’s have that debate. That’s more than our leaders are giving us now. And if the flood of folks was from Finland you’d see my idea happen in a heartbeat with everybody getting a cigar on the way in.
And there goes the debate. :roll: Try to turn it in to some raciest thing.
It isn't Finland and the reasons it isn't should be obvious. Finland doesn't suffer from poverty, drug cartel crime, repressive Governments, lack of jobs, lack of skills, I could go on but instead I'm withdrawing because the debate took an unacceptable turn. Not interested going down the racism, white privilege , white supremacy road you want to go.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:36 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:22 pm
Rate This wrote:

It isn't Finland and the reasons it isn't should be obvious. Finland doesn't suffer from poverty, drug cartel crime, repressive Governments, lack of jobs, lack of skills, I could go on but instead I'm withdrawing because the debate took an unacceptable turn. Not interested going down the racism, white privilege , white supremacy road you want to go.
You really don’t like to engage with someone who disagrees with you do you? Even if it’s in good faith?

Either you fix the countries they are coming from or let them in. Otherwise the problem will not be solved. Get your head out of your ass on the shitty attitude. It’s really tiring and quite frankly rather smug. Screw off if that’s how you want to be. I was trying to Have an honest conversation but you’re having none of it. Typical Craig I must say.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:10 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Rate This wrote:

I have to agree with you on this. There are differences that ave to be considered. You can't just sit here and pretend an orange is an apple.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:32 pm

Big Al wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:10 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Rate This wrote:

I have to agree with you on this. There are differences that ave to be considered. You can't just sit here and pretend an orange is an apple.
Go ahead and expand on that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic