Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why does the CDC recommend Covid-vaccinated people wear masks in public?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Why does the CDC recommend Covid-vaccinated people wear masks in public?

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:49 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:47 am
Look, this is all about risk analysis. Living in a free country comes with risks, and we as human beings living in a free country take risks every day. I'm simply trying to figure out where the threshold is in our society whereby curtailing our freedoms is outweighed by saving lives. Because we're quickly approaching the territory of where to remain logically consistent with our policies, there are a lot of other behaviors that need to be banned or significantly restricted, eventually to the point where we're all just living in a sterile bubble.
It’s one thing you can do to not get somebody else sick. Just like washing your hands. It’s polite just like not spitting your gum on the sidewalk or taking a crap on someone’s front porch. There are things you can do to make the world slightly better. AND PEOPLE ALIVE AND WELL TODAY ALREADY REGULARLY PRACTICE IT.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:50 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:46 am
It should be basic politeness to try not to get somebody else sick. Otherwise you should have no problem with someone or multiple people coughing directly in your face.
If valuing personal freedom and liberty makes me "self-centered" then so be it. Do we really want to go down the road of coming up with a list of "self-centered" behaviors that pose a risk to others? I could create an entire laundry list if you like.

I'll start with one of my favorites - speed limits. Studies unequivocally show that with every 5 MPH you raise the speed limit, more people die. Yet, what is our speed limit up to on some roads in Michigan? 75 MPH? The need to drive like a bat out of hell is a self-centered behavior. I assume you support dropping these speed limits to 45 or 50 MPH in the name of saving lives?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:51 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:50 am
Rate This wrote:
It should be basic politeness to try not to get somebody else sick. Otherwise you should have no problem with someone or multiple people coughing directly in your face.
If valuing personal freedom and liberty makes me "self-centered" then so be it. Do we really want to go down the road of coming up with a list of "self-centered" behaviors that pose a risk to others? I could create an entire laundry list if you like.

I'll start with one of my favorites - speed limits. Studies unequivocally show that with every 5 MPH you raise the speed limit, more people die. Yet, what is our speed limit up to on some roads in Michigan? 75 MPH? The need to drive like a bat out of hell is a self-centered behavior. I assume you support dropping these speed limits to 45 or 50 MPH in the name of saving lives?
Those 75mph roads have very low traffic levels. The entire secondary point of the freeway system was to get people where they want to go faster than the 55mph backroads. 70mph roads (or more) aren’t new. That’s how they were prior to the 70’s. That’s not particularly self centered. And I don’t buy that roads become more dangerous with speed either. If that were true then the autobahn (the model for our highways) would be the most dangerous road on earth.
Last edited by Rate This on Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:52 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:49 am
It’s one thing you can do to not get somebody else sick.
Humans aren't meant to wear masks all the time while in public. End of story. You want to live the rest of your life not being able to see other people's faces?

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:53 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:51 am
bmw wrote:
Rate This wrote:

Those 75mph roads have very low traffic levels.
Fine. I-75. Speed limit is 70. Heavily traveled. Dropping the speed limit to 45 or 50 would save a lot of lives. Would you support that?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:57 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:53 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:51 am
bmw wrote:
Rate This wrote:

Those 75mph roads have very low traffic levels.
Fine. I-75. Speed limit is 70. Heavily traveled. Dropping the speed limit to 45 or 50 would save a lot of lives. Would you support that?
No. That would defeat the purpose of having it. Higher speed limits do not cause more deaths. If that were true then the autobahn would be the worst road on earth.

As for the mask thing let me make it really clear...

I AM NOT CALLING FOR MASK USE FOR ETERNITY. I AM SAYING THAT IF YOU GET THE FLU OR SOMETHING WHEN THIS IS ALL OVER YOU MIGHT CONSIDER WEARING A MASK UNTIL YOU FEEL BETTER OUT OF POLITENESS AND TO REDUCE THE CHANCES OF GIVING IT TO SOMEBODY SO THEY DONT HAVE TO BE MISERABLE TOO. CAPICHE?

This isn’t fucking rocket science.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:00 pm

My position on the flu (and even cold) is that if you have one or the other, you shouldn't be at work or out in the public, period, unless it is an absolute emergency. Stay home.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:02 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:00 pm
My position on the flu (and even cold) is that if you have one or the other, you shouldn't be at work or out in the public, period, unless it is an absolute emergency. Stay home.
And that’s fine, I agree. But it should still become an accepted part of society to wear a mask if you don’t feel well. A lot of people myself included were raised with the old school attitude “if you aren’t on your deathbed then you’re going”. That means a ton of people whether needing to be at work to not get fired if they get sick a lot or needing to be at school or whatever makes them have to go out are going to do just that anyways. Notice this isn’t a mandate by the government. It’s a societal thing. Just like not talking with you mouth open or picking your nose and eating it. Nobody mandates that, it just is.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:05 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:57 am
Higher speed limits do not cause more deaths.
Rising speed limits over the past 25 years have cost nearly 37,000 lives, including more than 1,900 in 2017 alone, a new study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety shows...a 5 mph increase in the maximum speed limit was associated with an 8 percent increase in the fatality rate on interstates and freeways — the roads most directly affected by changes to the maximum speed limit — and a 3 percent increase on other roads. In total, over the 25-year study period, there were 36,760 more deaths — 13,638 on interstates and freeways — and 23,122 on other roads — than would have been expected if maximum speed limits hadn't changed over that time.
https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/speed- ... ty%20shows.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:08 pm

If your position is simply that sick people should wear a mask when in public for a few days, I take no issue with that.

The point I was trying to make with this entire post is that the CDC guidance of suggesting that ALL people wear masks whenever in public, including fully vaccinated people, seems ridiculous when you actually dig into the numbers, and that it is inconsistent to recommend that all Covid-vaccinated wear masks while not also recommending that all people wear masks through the duration of flu season.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:05 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:57 am
Higher speed limits do not cause more deaths.
Rising speed limits over the past 25 years have cost nearly 37,000 lives, including more than 1,900 in 2017 alone, a new study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety shows...a 5 mph increase in the maximum speed limit was associated with an 8 percent increase in the fatality rate on interstates and freeways — the roads most directly affected by changes to the maximum speed limit — and a 3 percent increase on other roads. In total, over the 25-year study period, there were 36,760 more deaths — 13,638 on interstates and freeways — and 23,122 on other roads — than would have been expected if maximum speed limits hadn't changed over that time.
https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/speed- ... ty%20shows.
And peoples poorer driving habits, the rise of more powerful cars that get up and go way better and higher traffic levels have done nothing? Bullshit.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:08 pm
If your position is simply that sick people should wear a mask when in public for a few days, I take no issue with that.

The point I was trying to make with this entire post is that the CDC guidance of suggesting that ALL people wear masks whenever in public, including fully vaccinated people, seems ridiculous when you actually dig into the numbers, and that it is inconsistent to recommend that all Covid-vaccinated wear masks while not also recommending that all people wear masks through the duration of flu season.
I don’t agree with him much but see what Bryce wrote. It was a bullseye.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:18 pm

I don't have a problem with a recommendation to wear a mask during flu season. Seems to me we had drastically reduced infection rate this year because of mask wearing. I draw the line at mandate.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:21 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:52 am
You want to live the rest of your life not being able to see other people's faces?
Some? Yes!

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:22 pm

The problem with having such a recommendation from the CDC is that power-hungry governors (such as ours) will use that guidance to issue a state-wide mandate. Then you have corporate-owned businesses that for political reasons will institute such requirements for anyone to walk through the door. It will never end.

If I haven't made it clear yet, I hate masks, I hate wearing them, and the day it becomes legal to stop wearing them in public I'm inclined to have a mask-burning ceremony.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic