Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The latest victim of 2021's political correctness? The game of Monopoly

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

The latest victim of 2021's political correctness? The game of Monopoly

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:19 pm

Toy company Hasboro announced it is updating all 16 Community Chest cards featured on the Monopoly board game. The game's traditional cards required players to $50 for 'doctor's fees' or winning $10 for 'coming in second place in a beauty contest.' New cards will have players pay money for acts such as failing to recycle the trash or winning money for running a non-profit's social media account. The new 'Go to Jail' cards will be due to acts such as playing music too loudly but for 'rescuing a puppy,' the player can get out of jail for free.
:barf

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -them.html

Rate This

Re: The latest victim of 2021's political correctness? The game of Monopoly

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:36 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:19 pm
Toy company Hasboro announced it is updating all 16 Community Chest cards featured on the Monopoly board game. The game's traditional cards required players to $50 for 'doctor's fees' or winning $10 for 'coming in second place in a beauty contest.' New cards will have players pay money for acts such as failing to recycle the trash or winning money for running a non-profit's social media account. The new 'Go to Jail' cards will be due to acts such as playing music too loudly but for 'rescuing a puppy,' the player can get out of jail for free.

They updated the cards to match 2033 and not 1933. Oh the humanity. How ever will we survive this tragedy. I mean it’s not like there are hundreds of millions of monopoly sets floating around already. What ever will we do to stop this evil?

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:49 pm

Yeah, I know there's tons of old versions out there, but that's not the point. Monopoly is a classic. It is not like some obscure Dr. Seuss book nobody has ever heard of. If they wanted to release a new "millennial" edition that would be one thing.

What's next? Are we going to start writing characters out of movies for re-release because they no longer fit the times?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:00 pm

Maybe they should update it to reflect the aging demographics of those of us who grew up playing the game. Boardwalk could become Board walker. Reading Railroad could be renamed Reading Glasses.. Waterworks could be water pills.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:48 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:49 pm
Yeah, I know there's tons of old versions out there, but that's not the point. Monopoly is a classic. It is not like some obscure Dr. Seuss book nobody has ever heard of. If they wanted to release a new "millennial" edition that would be one thing.

What's next? Are we going to start writing characters out of movies for re-release because they no longer fit the times?
It could happen. Political Correctness is a polite way of describing neo-Victorianism when you think about it. Like it or not there’s nothing liberal about it. It’s incredibly conservative. This is one area where the parties flip ends of the spectrum. It’s annoying as hell and I wish it was top of the priorities list but it’s down at the bottom. We have much bigger fish to fry. I wish we had it that good right now.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:01 pm

bmw wrote:

You joke about movies, but I heard they've changed the Juno credits on Netflix to list Elliot Page. How did Elliot get knocked up?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:45 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:01 pm
bmw wrote:

You joke about movies, but I heard they've changed the Juno credits on Netflix to list Elliot Page. How did Elliot get knocked up?
Movie magic perhaps?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:45 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:19 pm

Is there a Washtenaw County version where nobody goes to jail?

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:30 am

I’d like to know who uses the term Community Chest anymore? Let alone what the silly cards read.

Keep in mind the folks selling Monopoly want it to be relatable for a new crop of consumers. So they’ll buy it.

It’s all about REAL money, Monopoly fans!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:32 am

These changes are being made to grow demand for the game and increase value of older versions. Has nothing to do with "political correctness."

Are we going to blame political correctness every time a brand attempts to update its image? Some of you don't understand marketing perhaps.

Now, I will say this - if Mr. Monopoly's image is removed from the cards, THAT would be a big mistake.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:05 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:32 am
These changes are being made to grow demand for the game and increase value of older versions. Has nothing to do with "political correctness."

Are we going to blame political correctness every time a brand attempts to update its image? Some of you don't understand marketing perhaps.

Now, I will say this - if Mr. Monopoly's image is removed from the cards, THAT would be a big mistake.
But YOU don’t understand... everything has to stay exactly the same as it was in the mid-20th century. You remember that time period.. the one where everybody vastly updated lots of things and developed new ones because “progress” was the coolest thing ever? “Progress” was what people demanded.

Some folks are just stuck with the world having to be exactly the way they know it and they bitch and moan if it changes one bit. Thing is a lot of the things they protect so dearly aren’t the original configurations of the outrage dujour... ironic to say the least. Then when you ask “what was going on before they changed it” and dig into it a lot of the changes make sense and the way it was really sucked or was dated or whatever in comparison.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:42 pm

Monopoly has had many variants through the years. They had one for the University of Michigan, and many other universities. Just updating and refreshing an old legend.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:01 pm

I saw a Florida themed version, last year when I was there.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:39 pm

I take no issue at all with all the different variations. My only issue is with the outright replacement of the original. That is all.

And MW - why would Hasboro care at all about raising the value of the older versions? They won't make any money off that. I do agree generally that this is a marketing gimmick.

Deleted User 15520

Post by Deleted User 15520 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 pm

I've always liked The Iron myself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic