Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WSJ: Lockdowns should not have happened

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: WSJ: Lockdowns should not have happened

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:52 am

It may be a tad premature to look at Texas' numbers relative to the lifting of the mask mandate - but if those numbers continue to decline for another few weeks, then I think it is fair to say that the mask mandates there were completely useless. I'd be curious to see data on how many people there are still voluntarily wearing masks. Per the IHME site, it appears that observed mask-wearing has only fallen a few percentage points. Not sure how accurate this is.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:36 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:58 am
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:39 pm
Matt, we have studies out of the UK and U-M(your alma mater) that say the Gretchen led lock downs saved lives. Academia doesn't agree that they were useless. States like Florida and Texas are still struggling with cases. And even if they don't lead to deaths, the great cost and "legacy" of COVID will be the long haulers and amount of long term disability faced. This will put a H*** strain on our PCP's. More than likely, we will see these cases of heart failure surge in the next 5-10 years. Right wing conservatives will blame obesity, but it will be COVID related. Just watch.
Texas is doing GREAT since they ended their mask mandate. You maskzis are NOT going to like this data: https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2021/03 ... as-n351435
Invalid Repube site. Try again.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:49 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:58 am
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:39 pm
Matt, we have studies out of the UK and U-M(your alma mater) that say the Gretchen led lock downs saved lives. Academia doesn't agree that they were useless. States like Florida and Texas are still struggling with cases. And even if they don't lead to deaths, the great cost and "legacy" of COVID will be the long haulers and amount of long term disability faced. This will put a H*** strain on our PCP's. More than likely, we will see these cases of heart failure surge in the next 5-10 years. Right wing conservatives will blame obesity, but it will be COVID related. Just watch.
Texas is doing GREAT since they ended their mask mandate. You maskzis are NOT going to like this data: https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2021/03 ... as-n351435
Texas is beaming in from where illinois was at their peak. They were doing TERRIBLY and it’s just coming back down to earth.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:17 am

One step closer to herd immunity. The quicker we get there, the better. And MCRF can argue all he wants that herd immunity is unattainable - I'm not buying it. When you have a vaccine that is 95% effective and a virus that is as contagious as Covid is, we will rocket past the 70% threshold in no time.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:40 am

And 'herd immunity' isn't an on/off switch. Cases are not magically going to disappear once we reach that threshold, but as more and more actually contract it or get vaccinated, that's less and less vulnerable every single day.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:56 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:17 am
One step closer to herd immunity. The quicker we get there, the better. And MCRF can argue all he wants that herd immunity is unattainable - I'm not buying it. When you have a vaccine that is 95% effective and a virus that is as contagious as Covid is, we will rocket past the 70% threshold in no time.
We already have had cases of reinfection. The people who got COVID one year ago are at risk now again. Your immunity wears off after a year based on the findings of most virologists (I happen to know one as well). That puts those who contracted COVID a year ago at risk. Many of them are people of color who also happen to be wary of vaccines. Those who live closer in proximity are at risk of community spread. So many in the city live in apartment buildings with shared ductwork or 2-5 family flats. Combine that with children who don't know how to wear masks properly and teachers who don't believe in the virus(and fail to properly space students desks far enough apart), and you have a real problem. Add to that the fact you also have plenty who take the bus, and you have plenty who experience 15+ minutes of exposure. With the new variants, that's more than enough time for spread. But of course, I am the one with no facts.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:05 pm

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:56 pm
bmw wrote:
We already have had cases of reinfection. The people who got COVID one year ago are at risk now again. Your immunity wears off after a year based on the findings of most virologists (I happen to know one as well). That puts those who contracted COVID a year ago at risk. Many of them are people of color who also happen to be wary of vaccines. Those who live closer in proximity are at risk of community spread. So many in the city live in apartment buildings with shared ductwork or 2-5 family flats. Combine that with children who don't know how to wear masks properly and teachers who don't believe in the virus(and fail to properly space students desks far enough apart), and you have a real problem. Add to that the fact you also have plenty who take the bus, and you have plenty who experience 15+ minutes of exposure. With the new variants, that's more than enough time for spread. But of course, I am the one with no facts.
So when do we go back to normal? This is gonna behave like the flu... it’ll just be another thing to catch. We can’t simply take precautions in perpetuity. Society will collapse. People have been more than patient but they won’t take it forever.

Gretchen will be the first to get thrown out on her ass.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:16 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:05 pm
bmw wrote:
So when do we go back to normal? This is gonna behave like the flu... it’ll just be another thing to catch. We can’t simply take precautions in perpetuity. Society will collapse. People have been more than patient but they won’t take it forever.

Unless the GOP runs Candice Miller, Whitmer is going nowhere. I feel that by the fall, we will have enough people vaccinated where it will slow down somewhat. And we are going to have businesses that are going to require vaccines for entrance because people will have had the enough of the spread and reinfections. Q supporters/vaccine decliners will be asked to stay home as karma will turn their own words around to bite them in the ass.

Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:30 pm

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:16 pm
Rate This wrote:
bmw wrote:

Unless the GOP runs Candice Miller, Whitmer is going nowhere. I feel that by the fall, we will have enough people vaccinated where it will slow down somewhat. And we are going to have businesses that are going to require vaccines for entrance because people will have had the enough of the spread and reinfections. Q supporters/vaccine decliners will be asked to stay home as karma will turn their own words around to bite them in the ass.
I’m telling you that if we still have a mask mandate in 2022 Whitmer is a goner.

You won’t even bother to answer my question by the way.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:04 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:30 pm
Rate This wrote:
bmw wrote:

I’m telling you that if we still have a mask mandate in 2022 Whitmer is a goner.

For simplification, here is the question for MCRF: So when do we go back to normal?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:36 pm

Was watching the segment on 60 minutes about the WHO and the origins of the virus.

They showed clips where they showed the "foremost experts in the world in infections diseases" when they were traveling last year to Wuhan.

What were they wearing? Full hazmat suits? No!

N95 masks? No!

Double masks?

No!

Just regular "surgical" masks!!!

What does THAT tell you about how contagious they think this thing is?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:01 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:04 pm
Rate This wrote:
Rate This wrote:
bmw wrote:

For simplification, here is the question for MCRF: So when do we go back to normal?
As soon as your GOP brethren stop fucking around and wear their masks.....

Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:13 am

Wrong - normal includes not wearing masks. Enough of the partisan bullshit, we're asking for a real answer.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:16 am

bmw wrote:
We already have had cases of reinfection. T Many of them are people of color who also happen to be wary of vaccines. Those who live closer in proximity are at risk of community spread. So many in the city live in apartment buildings with shared ductwork or 2-5 family flats.
Early vaccination numbers would bear this out...

13K vaccinated in first three days at Ford Field, mobile sites; 72% White, 14% Black

Detroit News.

I would guess that if you drew a ten mile radius around Ford Field, the population percentages would be just about the opposite of the percentages vaccinated.

Is it truly because the black population is wary of the vaccine or are there other factors at play? Logic would dictate that those at greater risk would be more inclined to get the vaccine.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:56 am

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:01 am
Matt wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:04 pm
Rate This wrote:
Rate This wrote:
bmw wrote:

As soon as your GOP brethren stop fucking around and wear their masks.....
We want to know when we can be mask free if COVID is like the flu... that is here to stay and there’s nothing we can do but accept it and move on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic