Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WSJ: Lockdowns should not have happened

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: WSJ: Lockdowns should not have happened

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:35 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:56 pm
We already have had cases of reinfection. The people who got COVID one year ago are at risk now again. Your immunity wears off after a year based on the findings of most virologists (I happen to know one as well). That puts those who contracted COVID a year ago at risk.
The studies I'm able to locate refute what you're claiming. First, one published last month in the journal Science. They followed 188 Covid-positive patients and concluded that "Substantial immune memory is generated after COVID-19, involving all four major types of immune memory. About 95% of subjects retained immune memory at ~6 months after infection.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... 9/eabf4063

Assuming this study is ongoing, I'll be curious to see the immunity levels at 1 year.

Moreover, a large-scale study done in Denmark looked at re-infection rates between the first and second wave (roughly 6 months apart from each other). What they found was that natural immunity has 80 percent efficacy in younger people and 44 percent efficacy in adults 65 and older.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/stud ... der-adults

So perhaps not as good as vaccinated immunity, but significant immunity nonetheless. These findings also seemingly suggest that vaccinations are much more important for the elderly than for younger people.

Oh, and on a side-note - if immunity does significantly wear off after a year, that would strengthen my argument that government intervention trying to slow the spread may actually significantly harm our chances of ever reaching herd immunity.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:49 am

Here's an arrow for your quiver bmw.

90 percent of Plain community hit by virus (Lock Haven, PA Express)

Unfortunately we don't know how many in the Amish and Mennonite community died to reach herd immunity.

From a purely scientific standpoint, it is interesting to study and learn from.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:11 am

A story this morning on CBS pinned a lot of the national spike in carjackings directly to the lockdowns. Not sure if they have proof to back that up, but it's plausible.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:06 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:49 am
Here's an arrow for your quiver bmw.

90 percent of Plain community hit by virus (Lock Haven, PA Express)

Unfortunately we don't know how many in the Amish and Mennonite community died to reach herd immunity.

From a purely scientific standpoint, it is interesting to study and learn from.
and to respond to this specifically:
Six infectious disease experts with whom LNP ‘ LancasterOnline spoke expressed unease with a reliance on the notion the Plain community had achieved herd immunity here. And they pointed out that if not the case, past infections and existing antibodies may provide limited protection.
I'm so tired of the "scientific community" poo-poo-ing on herd immunity while at the same time pimping vaccinations like there's no tomorrow. Their bias in favor of one and in opposition to the other is a bit baffling to me, because one thing I'd point out is that once herd immunity is achieved in a particular community, EVEN IF it wears off at some point, the death rate of a second wave in the same group of people will be FAR LOWER, if not zero, because the ones susceptible to dying have already died the first time around.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic