Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Reduce police forces and bring in the professionals

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Reduce police forces and bring in the professionals

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:58 pm

The data is starting to roll in on New Concepts of trying to manage problems without the police and it seems that police have absolutely no business handling many issues they are called to address. Just think if we cut the police down to an appropriate amount and replaced some of them with mental health professionals.

Most police have very little training except for when they act like they're in a war zone all the time.
A Denver city councilmember who supports defunding police weighs new success of replacing cops with mental health teams. Six months in, the team has responded to almost 750 calls, without one arrest.
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/08/97494142 ... bbed-a-suc

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Shuts Up

Re: Reduce police forces and bring in the professionals

Post by TC Shuts Up » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:06 am

And a Federal Stasi will replace it.

State and local police will be relegated to speed traps where they generate more income than criminal enforcement.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:54 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:06 am

State and local police will be relegated to speed traps where they generate more income than criminal enforcement.
Don't worry. They will still find a way to shoot Blacks.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 02, 2022 8:10 pm

This is what I expected, cops break laws and cry self defense.
A former New York City police officer who claimed he was acting in self-defense when he swung a metal flagpole at a fellow officer during the attack on the Capitol last January was convicted on Monday of all charges, including assault.

The former officer, Thomas Webster, was the first person charged in connection with the riot to defend himself at trial by claiming that the officers protecting the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, had used excessive force against the pro-Trump mob that stormed the building. The guilty verdict in the case — returned within two hours on the first full day of deliberations — could give pause to other defendants planning to use similar arguments at their own trials.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon May 02, 2022 11:35 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:54 am
TC Shuts Up wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:06 am

Don't worry. They will still find a way to shoot Blacks.
Someone once said we should trust the science....

“In 2018, the latest year for which such data have been published, African-Americans made up 53% of known homicide offenders in the U.S. and commit[ed] about 60% of robberies, though they are 13% of the population,”

Yet of the 996 fatal police shootings in 2018, only 209, or 21 percent, involved black suspects, meaning, according to Mac Donald, that the share of black suspects shot by the police was in fact “less than what the black crime rate would predict.”

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 03, 2022 12:56 pm

I agree that police training is inadequate and outmoded.

It's hard to fix those problems if funding is slashed.

Police brutality and malfeasance would be lessened in quick order if (a) police agencies weren't responsible for reviewing alleged misconduct by other police agencies, and (b) if union contracts were stripped of clauses designed to protect irresponsible or unethical officers.

Even better, reform qualified immunity laws. Prior court rulings on application of qualified immunity are inherently flawed.

Deadline Detroit has an outstanding article on its web site regarding misconduct within the DPD. Time and time again, violent officers in Detroit get little more than a slap on the wrist.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue May 03, 2022 1:47 pm

I was talking to my cop daughter awhile back about policing. She is now a sargent and not out on routine road patrol anymore.
I asked her how many citizens a night she would have face to face interactions with when she was on road patrol. Her answer was probably 10-15. That's NOT just people "pulled over". That could be called out to a disturbance of some sort which may be active or may have already ended but does result in a face to face exchange with a citizen. .
For sake of discussion and my number crunching, if a car was pulled over with 3 people in it I'll call that 3 interactions since the cop hater crowd often suggests all cops are trigger happy and just "looking for an excuse" to shoot somebody.

According to BLS statistics there are about 690,000 police in America with badges, guns, handcuffs and arrest powers.
Let us suppose each of them works 5 days a week 44 weeks a year (a generous 8 weeks vacation)
That would be 220 days of "hunting citizens" per cop. Times that by 690,000 cops and we get 151,800,000 police hunting days a year.
If we use my daughters 10 per night interactions that would be 1,518,000,000 (1.5 billion) opportunities to kill a citizen.
Even at half that we are looking at 759,000,000 face to face cop/citizen encounters a year.
Yet they only manage to "bag" about 1000 of which 85% + are armed according to the Washington Post.

I have more numbers that will show cops are about 15 times more likely to be killed by a citizen than the other way around.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue May 03, 2022 2:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:56 pm
I agree that police training is inadequate and outmoded.

It's hard to fix those problems if funding is slashed.

Police brutality and malfeasance would be lessened in quick order if (a) police agencies weren't responsible for reviewing alleged misconduct by other police agencies, and (b) if union contracts were stripped of clauses designed to protect irresponsible or unethical officers.

Even better, reform qualified immunity laws. Prior court rulings on application of qualified immunity are inherently flawed.

Deadline Detroit has an outstanding article on its web site regarding misconduct within the DPD. Time and time again, violent officers in Detroit get little more than a slap on the wrist.
Even harder when the police themselves along with their supporters believe it doesn't need fixing...

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:19 pm

Then they should not stop us innocent civilians for no reason and then try to make something out of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic