Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dr. Seuss books are racist

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
screen glare

Re: Dr. Seuss books are racist

Post by screen glare » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:35 am

Turkeytop and I both appreciated The Friendly Giant - which was a Canadian kid’s show.
I even remember the theme song. Played on a wooden flute.

But my fav was Captain Kangaroo. Never missed a morning - school day or weekend. Ate breakfast in front of the TV. (“One, Two, Three. Grandfather!” You we’re watching, too if you remember what that line was for.)
Last edited by screen glare on Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zzand

Post by zzand » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:40 am

"A business decision. Fortunately nobody cares about or has heard of 5 of the 6."

When did you have the time to talk to every person to make the statement that that nobody cares or has heard of 5 of them?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:02 pm

zzand wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:40 am
"A business decision. Fortunately nobody cares about or has heard of 5 of the 6."

When did you have the time to talk to every person to make the statement that that nobody cares or has heard of 5 of them?
They aren’t exactly books that everybody is dying to get their hands on.. do you think for a second they would touch one of the books that makes them a boatload of money?

As for people caring... with all of the problems we have in this country focusing on this for even 5 minutes should make us re-examine whether everything else may just be A-ok. I suspect folks hurting economically or medically or in some other way are gonna put Dr. Seuss down the priorities list no matter how hard FOX News pushes it. They are still at it 4 days later once or more an hour by the way.

62 of his 68 books remain available... it’s all over now... get your affairs in order, the fat lady Is warming up. We’ve reached the end times.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:18 pm

Fox is focusing on culture wars. Why? Because if you’re Fox your boy just got trounced. And you’ve lost the House, Senate, plus The White House!

So you must instead focus on some culture war thing to fill your time. You don’t have a serious issue to report on and talk about that makes Republicans look good, or the Fox audience feel good. So - ignore - and fall back on culture crap.

Culture wars WILL fill the time. Everything from Dr. Seuss books - to The War on Christmas.

Sheesh!

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:44 pm

A "business decision"? Who was calling for ebay to ban the books? Anybody? Anybody at all? As you note, they're mostly obscure books. How does ebay benefit as a business from banning their sale, other than maybe their 1 day of publicity?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:05 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:44 pm
A "business decision"? Who was calling for ebay to ban the books? Anybody? Anybody at all? As you note, they're mostly obscure books. How does ebay benefit as a business from banning their sale, other than maybe their 1 day of publicity?
It’s a corporate image thing. They can say they took a stand over something with a product that hardly anybody wants or needs. It’s a win-win for them. If the book was The Cat And The Hat or something I doubt you’d see this happen so fast.

Nobody has to be calling for eBay to ban the books in order for them to make the business decision to do it. I must have missed the Corporation as Democracy principle of capitalism.

If you support the free market than you support the right of a company to make a decision about its business for a good reason, a bad reason or no reason.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:09 pm

You seem so stuck on the question of legality. Just like with Trump's twitter ban. I'm not contending that any of these big tech companies are not within their legal rights to do these things. I'm merely expression my concerns over corporate censorship (and yes, I did use the word censorship properly here).

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:19 pm

If it was just a business decision because those books didn't sell well then nobody would care. The company went out of their way to make a social statement that they deemed the books offensive to the point where they were unwilling to print more copies. Why? Because it might 'corrupt' little kids??

Ebay further followed with their policy of banning them because they were "offensive". Why? Why would or should they care if someone wants to sell an old book that's collecting dust in their basement and there might be a potential Suess fan who's looking to complete their collection of his books. Why should that be banned??

What are they afraid of? Or is it just a power play for manipulative purposes, just because 'they can'?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:23 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:09 pm
You seem so stuck on the question of legality. Just like with Trump's twitter ban. I'm not contending that any of these big tech companies are not within their legal rights to do these things. I'm merely expression my concerns over corporate censorship (and yes, I did use the word censorship properly here).
But corporate censorship is also a protected principle of the free market.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:30 am

It appears the media, both news and social, are what is keeping this discussion alive. I have seen pissed off people on several platforms, all sides of the political spectrum upset about this and have seen little to no support for it. Local and National news has had stories about it, from local book sellers to Amazon and others. While to some it may be no big deal, to a lot it seems to be a big deal.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:25 am

You guys do realize it is Dr. Seuss Enterprises itself that decided to pull the six books due to racist imagery, right? No one is "canceling" anything. They made a business decision.

The books in question are obscure because educators and libraries long ago decided not to stock those books because of the imagery in question.

Pencil me into the "no big deal" camp. Why should they continue publishing books that (a) don't sell well, (b) contain inappropriate imagery and (c) are bad for corporate image?

Ironically, the books in question will probably become valuable collectors' items now.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:06 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:25 am
You guys do realize it is Dr. Seuss Enterprises itself that decided to pull the six books due to racist imagery, right? No one is "canceling" anything....Ironically, the books in question will probably become valuable collectors' items now.
You must have missed the part where ebay decided to ban the sale of the original prints on their platform. What are your thoughts on that?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:51 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
You guys do realize it is Dr. Seuss Enterprises itself that decided to pull the six books due to racist imagery, right? No one is "canceling" anything. They made a business decision.

The books in question are obscure because educators and libraries long ago decided not to stock those books because of the imagery in question.

Pencil me into the "no big deal" camp. Why should they continue publishing books that (a) don't sell well, (b) contain inappropriate imagery and (c) are bad for corporate image?

Ironically, the books in question will probably become valuable collectors' items now.
Thank you! Who cares?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:53 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:06 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
You guys do realize it is Dr. Seuss Enterprises itself that decided to pull the six books due to racist imagery, right? No one is "canceling" anything....Ironically, the books in question will probably become valuable collectors' items now.
You must have missed the part where ebay decided to ban the sale of the original prints on their platform. What are your thoughts on that?
I thought you supported companies doing what they want? How is Ebay any different?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:04 pm

I wouldn't have made that decision myself, but who cares. Nothing I'm gonna lose any sleep over. There are other platforms for online used merchandise resale.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic