Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Rush Limbaugh Dies

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Rush Limbaugh Dies

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:41 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:25 am
Oh and I almost forgot the comments that got Maher fired in 2001 after a bunch of advertisers abandoned ship - where just days after 9/11, one of his guests (Dinesh D'Souza) said that the people who hijacked planes and flew them into the trade towers were "warriors," and Maher AGREED with this statement, saying, and I quote, "We have been the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, [it's] not cowardly."
He’s not exactly wrong about that... isn’t D’Souza a celebrated conservative?

None of those other quotes (except maybe the Arab guys one) look like anything but innocuous opinions.

kager

Post by kager » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:51 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:38 pm
kager wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:29 pm
It's sad the biggest discussion of Rush Limbaugh's passing rests here in PolPot sted of a radio forum, but this is apparently where he, his biggest fans and his biggest detractors live.

Early on (mid-late 80's?), when the show's comedy and commentary were less about US politics, and more along the lines of current events / world politics / host ego, his show was decent, if not sophomoric entertainment (Gorbasms, Spatula City, etc.) I'd even sneak a listen to bits of the show off the bird in cue during my shift - I liked the irreverence towards politicians and world figures. Then again, I liked John Landecker, too...

A few years later, free of a shift that occupied the same time slot, I soon found that the ability to take in 3 hours of the guy at will was a little less compelling than I thought it would be. That, and the pace, tone and timber of the show had changed to the point where it was less funny or innovative. More serious-like. Past its freshness date for me.

I never stopped listening completely; sometimes taking in a few minutes to catch up on national events, just mingling with AM static rhythms, trying prevent what they call country music from getting any more share, or in betting that even those entertainers who are past their prime still have moments that prove they still have it in 'em to have a good show.

Rush had a much longer run than anyone could have imagined. Frustrated some. Empowered others. Kept AM lit, and Air America dark.

RIP Rush.
Oh, you mean the decade where he celebrated every time a prominent gay man died of AIDS?
Swing and a miss.

I did buy a spatula, but it wasn't even from Spatula City.

The AIDS epidemic of the 80's-90's - and the reasons for the heightened level of polarization and intolerance that accompanied it - would probably make for a good discussion topic, if posters could be respectful, keep it civil and stay on topic.

So, not here.
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:55 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:41 am
bmw wrote:
Oh and I almost forgot the comments that got Maher fired in 2001 after a bunch of advertisers abandoned ship - where just days after 9/11, one of his guests (Dinesh D'Souza) said that the people who hijacked planes and flew them into the trade towers were "warriors," and Maher AGREED with this statement, saying, and I quote, "We have been the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, [it's] not cowardly."

None of those other quotes (except maybe the Arab guys one) look like anything but innocuous opinions.
Christian shaming. Acceptable
Disabled people shaming. Acceptable
Slut shaming. Unacceptable.

Got it.

btw - still waiting for those quotes that you claim are far worse.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:19 am

Is your Google broken?

Let's start with these...

https://people.com/politics/rush-limbau ... l-moments/
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:41 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:55 am
Rate This wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:41 am
bmw wrote:

Christian shaming. Acceptable
Disabled people shaming. Acceptable
Slut shaming. Unacceptable.

Got it.

btw - still waiting for those quotes that you claim are far worse.
So there’s something wrong with believing that religion is a little whacko and saying it?

As for the disabled kids thing... the sad thing is that until a certain point in intelligence there isn’t a great deal of difference between the inputs of a pet and a kid.

zzand

Post by zzand » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:47 am

When you attack religion you are a bigot against all those who practice, so yes, there is something wrong with that and it is sad that has to be pointed out. As for your disgusting comment against disabled children, there is nothing that can be said that would improve your shit for brains attitude. TCT, you bitching about BMW doing his own google, you have done the same thing so shut the fuck up about it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:30 pm

zzand wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:47 am
When you attack religion you are a bigot against all those who practice, so yes, there is something wrong with that and it is sad that has to be pointed out. As for your disgusting comment against disabled children, there is nothing that can be said that would improve your shit for brains attitude. TCT, you bitching about BMW doing his own google, you have done the same thing so shut the fuck up about it.
So criticizing religion is not ok but the religious criticizing others for not belonging to their religion is A-ok? Do I have that right?

The other thing isn’t a shit for brains attitude. It’s a dispassionate one. Learn the difference and figure out how to detach yourself from your emotions once in a while. Do a little critical thinking instead of knee jerk reacting while you’re at it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:55 pm

Some Christians are self-righteous and have no business calling out others who aren't Christians; you will get no argument from me on that point. Where I take issue with Maher's attacks on religion is that they go far beyond just stating an opinion of the religion itself. He views all religions as scientifically unfounded fairytales (he's certainly entitled to that opinion), but where he goes from merely having an opinion to outright being a bigot is when he says that because belief in a religion is irrational, therefore all people who practice a religion must be irrational, and thus inferior people.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:25 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:55 pm
Some Christians are self-righteous and have no business calling out others who aren't Christians; you will get no argument from me on that point. Where I take issue with Maher's attacks on religion is that they go far beyond just stating an opinion of the religion itself. He views all religions as scientifically unfounded fairytales (he's certainly entitled to that opinion), but where he goes from merely having an opinion to outright being a bigot is when he says that because belief in a religion is irrational, therefore all people who practice a religion must be irrational, and thus inferior people.
Well... if you started from the premise that religion is an irrational belief system the logical conclusion is that anyone who believes in it is inherently irrational because you would have to be in order to believe in something irrational.. whether they are inferior or not is up for debate... but if they were irrational then calling them over and handing them the keys to the castle and saying “you look responsible!” Is probably not a good choice...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic