Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Rush Limbaugh Dies

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Robert Faygo

Re: Rush Limbaugh Dies

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:49 pm

Good read from Dick Purtan:

https://www.facebook.com/358949523567/p ... 804153568/
Yesterday, Broadcasting lost one of it’s legends with the passing of Conservative Icon Rush Limbaugh who was taken by Cancer at age 70.

Sometime after Rush’s show went coast to coast, I went to hear him give a speech at the Michgian Inn in Southfield. After his speech I went up to the Podium - where he was thanking people for attending, I introduced myself as “Dick Purtan from WXYZ radio” and told him how much I enjoyed his speech. Rush looked at me - stepped back a bit - and much to my amazement said, “You’re my hero”. And then he told me a story. Turns out the station managers at his ABC owned radio station in Pittsburgh were making him listen to tapes of my ABC owned station WXYZ in Detroit. He said they wanted his show to be more like mine. He said he had listened to those tapes which apparently led to his reference to me as his hero.

Years later, Rush mentioned me on his show a number of times. He said listening to tapes of my show had thought him how to connect and entertain his audience.

One of those times, my Dad happened to be listening in Buffalo. I think that was the moment my Dad was finally happy with my decision to go into Radio - and not into the furniture and mattress business with him. For that alone, I owe Rush a debt of Gratitude.

No matter how you felt about his viewpoints, even Rush’s harshest critics agree that he was an incredible Broadcaster. His talent was partly a gift (His ability to talk for hours can’t be learned - nor can the power of his booming voice) and partly honed by his years on Top 40 Radio (Know when to get in, when to get out… keep it short, and talk about things that are relatable to your audience).

For Rush, it proved to be a Powerful Broadcasting blend that breathed life back into AM radio which had been on life support since the stereo sound of music on the FM band had taken the country by storm.

And Rushes show - from Noon to 3pm - also revived a time slot long considered to be an afterthought in Radio.

Millions of like-minded conservatives turned to him for his thoughts and opinions on what was going on in Washington and around the country. Politics and Social Issues were his bread and butter - and his ever growing audience tuned in for his “Common Sense” take - often deadly serious, sometimes humorous and satirical - on the State of our Union.

Interestingly, many people who DISAGREED with his take listened with almost as much fervor as those that Agreed with him. How would they know they didn’t like what he had to say if they weren’t listening?

From those that loved him and what they considered his “Voice of Reason” approach to real life in America, you’d hear “Did you hear what Rush Said!” From those that found him offensive… “Did you hear what Rush said???” Same sentence, different meaning. Only a true icon can create that much passion on both sides.

For three hours everyday, Rush talked about the things on America’s mind. And he did it in an always interesting, consistently entertaining, remarkably relatable and - yes - many times controversial way - deepening on YOUR point of view.

For millions of Conservatives - half of this Country - Rush told it like it was. He said things many were afraid to say lest they be called out as Racist or Sexist or any of the other “ ist“ labels thrown on people so casually these days. He believed - and there were millions who agreed and still agree with him - that our country had more pressing things to worry about than the number of mandated Gender-Bending bathrooms in Shopping Malls or whether Men, too, can have babies.

He believed (as do I) that America may not be perfect, but it is hands down the greatest country on Earth. He stood up to the Cultural Elites in Manhattan, Hollywood and on TV who spend their days telling us what a horrible place America is…that we need to apologize for virtually EVERYTHING that America has done and stood for since it was founded… and even before that! He thought it wrong to remove hundreds-years-old statues and “Un-do” our history instead of learning from it. He railed against corruption and championed traditional American Values - Compassion, Civility, Decency, Hard Work, Self Reliance and good old fashioned Love of Country.

His death has left a gaping hole in the American discussion of Who We Were, Who We Are and Who We Want to Become. Love him or hate him… you have to respect and appreciate his talent and his impact.

How do you replace that?

-Dick

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:43 pm

Very good read, RF. Coming from somebody with the weight in radio of Dick Purtan, it is especially strong.

I don't think anyone decries the importance of Limbaugh, the way he revolutionized talk radio, and his mark on history. My issue with him, and many others, is not as a broadcaster. It was as a human being. He said some truly deplorable things, many racist and homophobic in tenor, along with dozens of untruths. His legacy will always be tainted, no, marred by those comments.
The censorship king from out of state.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:59 pm

I get it.

Although, you did not know the actual man. You knew the character that was playing a role on the radio. It's easy to blur those lines.

I wish we could get back to being able to discern the difference. Hating the job he did? 100% legit. Hating someone you don't know beyond what they did on the air? Questionable at best.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:04 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:59 pm
I get it.

Although, you did not know the actual man. You knew the character that was playing a role on the radio. It's easy to blur those lines.

I wish we could get back to being able to discern the difference. Hating the job he did? 100% legit. Hating someone you don't know beyond what they did on the air? Questionable at best.
I do know he said what he said on the radio. I also watched All in the Family and I don't hate Carroll O'Connor. It's really not hard to blur that line.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:54 pm

Colbert tells the story about the time he had Bill O'Reilly on as a guest. He had planned to really go after him. But he says once he met him he was a likable guy. His on air persona was just a character of his own creation.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:06 pm

From the vitriol I'm seeing in this thread, it seems many of you think it's OK to hate someone because their opinion is different than yours
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:15 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:06 pm
From the vitriol I'm seeing in this thread, it seems many of you think it's OK to hate someone because their opinion is different than yours

Joe Biden - Destroying America One Pen Stroke At A Time ~

But I bet he could sure run a lemonade stand.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:22 pm

Bryce wrote:
Exactly, and that’s sad. I don’t like many far lefties on air, and some conservative hosts, partly due to style, partly due to their views, and partly due to dullness, depending on the host. I don’t go around campaigning for them to be taken off the air, that’s not my decision. I choose to not listen, or in extreme cases, boycott the advertisers and tell the station(s) I do not tune in when that host is on. In the end, it’s the owners/syndicators that decide who is on and who isn’t.

I have a friend who is a far lefty. Her political views clash with mine in many ways. However, we have other things we do have in common, and she’s a nice person.

Limbaugh loved music and radio. Isn’t that what most if not all of us here enjoy?

As for replacement, I wonder if moving Hannity to noon would interfere with his TV show at 9PM. There’s are also markets where Limbaugh and Hannity air on different stations, Detroit being one of them.

What are the contracts of his main subhosts: Todd Herman, Ken Matthews, and Mark Steyn? Mark Belling was an infrequent fill-in and still does afternoon radio in Milwaukee, but I don’t think he’a strong enough nationally. They had a guy from Charlotte fill in recently too; I forget his name.

(I’m going to crosspost this last part in the National Broadcasting forum for those who don’t go to the Political section. MW, I hope that’s OK.)

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:33 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:15 pm
Bryce wrote:

Joe Biden - Destroying America One Pen Stroke At A Time ~

I strongly disagree with his policy and think he's unfit to be President. Not once did I say or think he should burn in hell because of it.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:23 pm

Yet Limbaugh and Trump have both said this about people they didn't like, I haven't heard you condem either.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 pm

Ahhhh ... it all makes sense now!

TCT clearly thinks that everyone posts the complete set of all their thoughts here on the Buzzboard! If one of our positions and/or thoughts isn't on the interwebs the moment it occurs, it must not exist!!

Of course, there are acceptions to every rule. Or are those exceptions? I can't tell.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:46 pm

Woody Allen was a great filmmaker. Made some of the funniest movies ever. Top of his craft. But if you ask me, he is a reprehensible human being and deserves to burn in hell when the devil chooses to take his sick ass also.

Everybody feel better?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:49 pm

Bryce wrote:
I have no apologies for my distain of Limbaugh based on our differing opinion as defined that I'm not good with bigotry and he, on the other hand, monetized it. Sure, there was a good bit of theatrics going on but I never recall him disowning a word he said or lifting a finger for those who he shit on to earn a sizable paycheck.

It's worth noting Limbaugh was supported by the ACLU on a free speech case, but that doesn't seem to slow down conservatives from hating on that organization, (I've seen it on this very website) so how does that work? It cuts both ways.

BTW - I've asked a number of times but nobody seems to want to step up to the plate and explain exactly how he brought entertainment value to their lives. What was the joy they found in listening to him savage those stricken with AIDS, cracking wise about Sandy Hook, calling a woman law student a slut or the President's daughter a dog? Was it his shameless racism that made your day a little brighter? Still waiting for a little illumination on why the appeal.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:55 pm

I saw zero appeal to his show after sampling it a few times. But I tend to despise all varieties of bullheaded partisan politics, even if it's fake.

I did enjoy JP McCarthy after the music was dropped. Paul W wasn't bad at the beginning, but when the ratings tanked and it went politics, I was gone, never to return.

I tried to like Mitch Albom's show for awhile. Nope.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:36 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:46 pm
Woody Allen was a great filmmaker. Made some of the funniest movies ever. Top of his craft. But if you ask me, he is a reprehensible human being and deserves to burn in hell when the devil chooses to take his sick ass also.

Everybody feel better?
But Rush never banged his underage step daughter, he merely held opinions you personally hold in disdain.

I will say I loved late eighties early nineties Rush. Less so later because I felt he almost became a charicture of himself.

Lester? What exactly would fit the definition of slut if a 20's something, unmarried woman that burns through 9 condoms a day to spend that 1,000.00 a year for contraceptives she claimed she had to spend doesn't?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic