Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What is stand your ground?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

What is stand your ground?

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:16 pm

Serious question...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

Turkeytop

Re: What is stand your ground?

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:21 pm

In Florida, It's a legal defense you can use if you're charged with murder.

I get in your face and make you angry, then, I can shoot you and claim I feared for my life.
Last edited by Turkeytop on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:32 pm

In states that have a "stand your ground" law, you do not have a "duty to retreat" when confronted with life, or serious injury, threatening situations. In Michigan, rape of yourself or another person is also covered.

Since "stand your ground" was passed, you no longer have to try and escape when threatened with serious bodily harm or death. If you have the right mojo, you can fight back and/or end the threat as you choose
Last edited by Bryce on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:33 pm

Is it that simple? No threshold?
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:40 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:33 pm
Is it that simple? No threshold?
Well, as with any law, interpretation is anything but simple.

For example, if I start punching an 85 year old woman, that would be life threatening to her. If that same 85 year old woman attacked me, not so much. Different scenarios dictate what is life threatening.

If I'm at a 7-11 and a robber comes in with a gun drawn and says give me your money to the clerk, I don't have to go hide in the back, I can choose to end that threat when the time is right. Prior to stand your ground, a person would have to take their chances by being compliant.

Also, at least in Michigan you cannot "stand your ground" and use deadly force in the protection of property. Only when in fear for your life or great bodily harm. I take a bit of issue with this only because Michigan views dogs as property. If someone is going to shoot my dog, legally I have to let them.
Last edited by Bryce on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:42 pm

There's a pending murder trial in Florida. A retired cop, shot and killed a guy in a movie theatre. Before the movie began, the victim was texting their baby sitter. The accused got up and started berating the guy for it, then shot him. Said it looked like he had a gun in his hand. It was the cell phone. He's using the stand your ground defense.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:47 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:42 pm
There's a pending murder trial in Florida. A retired cop, shot and killed a guy in a movie theatre. Before the movie began, the victim was texting their baby sitter. The accused got up and started berating the guy for it, then shot him. Said it looked like he had a gun in his hand. It was the cell phone. He's using the stand your ground defense.
He'll probably loose.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:51 pm

I think his strategy is to delay the trial until he dies. The crime happened about five years ago and the defense just keeps asking for delay after delay. He must be near 80 now. If it ever does get to trial. his lawyer will probably appeal to the jury not to convict such a frail, old man.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:09 am

Can you stand your ground in body armor in Florida?
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:24 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:09 am
Can you stand your ground in body armor in Florida?

Body armour should be part of your everyday wardrobe in Florida.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:59 pm

In the weeks and months following the theatre shooting, the defense had a private investigator digging up juicy tidbits about the widow's sexual past and leaking it to the media. As if that somehow made the victim more deserving of being killed. The real purpose, of course, was to intimidate the witness.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic