Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bye Bye Parler!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: Bye Bye Parler!

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:08 am

It's been a really tough week for the racist domestic terrorist site.
Amazon suspended the pro-Trump social network Parler from its Web-hosting service this weekend, a move that threatens to darken the site indefinitely after its users glorified the recent riot at the U.S. Capitol.

The e-commerce and Web-hosting giant said Parler had violated its terms of service given its inadequate content-moderation practices, adding in a letter that it would implement its punishment just before midnight Pacific time Monday.

Trump scrambles to find new social network after Twitter ban, as White House prepares to blast big tech

The move by Amazon Web Services, or AWS, marks the latest and most crippling blow for the pro-Trump social network, which has emerged as a haven for conservative users who have fled more mainstream Silicon Valley sites that crack down on harmful, viral falsehoods online. Earlier this week, Apple and Google removed Parler’s app from their stores for smartphone downloads, similarly citing concerns that posts on Parler could contribute to violence.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:57 am

Rate This wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:23 pm
There are 7 major railroads when there were well over 100 in 1950.
Would any of these seven be able to block a start up from using the existing laid railroad tracks?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:06 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:57 am
Rate This wrote:
Would any of these seven be able to block a start up from using the existing laid railroad tracks?
Absolutely. Especially if that startup was doing dangerous things and would cause regulatory intervention.

The thing is, those seven large railroad companies are the types of companies that Republican elected officials represent. Although they do give lip service to startups.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:18 am

I know I am going to open up a hornet's nest here but I am curious. Let me start by saying I have never been on Parler and my personal use of any social media is very limited. Why not let Parler exist? Was reading news this morning and saw where they deleted comments by Lin Wood calling for the vice president to be shot by firing squad. So I dug a little and they do indeed have terms of service and spell out where the line is. In recent days I have seen calls to take up arms against democrats and arms against anyone who isn't a democrat on different platforms and they have not been deleted. Why shut down a platform that thinks different than you? Seems to me that is the first step toward communism. Thinking that anyone who doesn't think like you or isn't like you is less a human somewhat led to the Nazi death camps. Is this what you are advocating?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:19 am

Bryce wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Railroads own their own tracks. So yes they absolutely positively can. In fact using them without permission is a crime beyond simple trespassing I believe. Without trackage rights agreements between companies the owning company is the only one able to use their track as it is their property and theirs alone despite much of it having federal assistance when it was built in the 19th century. Sounds like the internet to me.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:26 am

zzand wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:18 am
So I dug a little and they do indeed have terms of service and spell out where the line is. In recent days I have seen calls to take up arms against democrats and arms against anyone who isn't a democrat on different platforms and they have not been deleted. Why shut down a platform that thinks different than you?
Simple answer...

Trump was reported to be opening a Parler account. Must stifle the Orange Man. This combined with major conservative voices (with millions of followers) actively promoting Parler (one has actually invested in it) and ending their activity on both Facebook and Twitter.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:28 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:19 am
Bryce wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Railroads own their own tracks. So yes they absolutely positively can. In fact using them without permission is a crime beyond simple trespassing I believe. Without trackage rights agreements between companies the owning company is the only one able to use their track as it is their property and theirs alone despite much of it having federal assistance when it was built in the 19th century. Sounds like the internet to me.
So why aren't there seven tracks at every railroad crossing?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:06 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:28 am
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Why would there be 7 tracks at every railroad crossing?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:42 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:06 am
Bryce wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Rate This wrote:
I think Bryce is suggesting that loser startup white supremacist organizations should have the same access as the large corporations who worked to amass their distribution Network.

In the case of trains, they often allow each other to use the same tracks. From what I understand my rail car could use those tracks should it be deemed safe and I pay them their fee.

My next venture will be a private rail coach that will be hooked up to an Amtrak. But before that happens I have to pass a safety certification.

The same would be true and is true of apps designed to overthrow the United States. If they're deemed unsafe like parler just was, they get thrown out.

― Noam Chomsky

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:52 am

The censorship king from out of state.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:05 am

I think they're pretty close to being done completely. Getting thrown off your server certainly has an impact on your app's ability to operate.

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:24 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:42 am
Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:06 am
Bryce wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Rate This wrote:
I think Bryce is suggesting that loser startup white supremacist organizations should have the same access as the large corporations who worked to amass their distribution Network.

In the case of trains, they often allow each other to use the same tracks. From what I understand my rail car could use those tracks should it be deemed safe and I pay them their fee.

My next venture will be a private rail coach that will be hooked up to an Amtrak. But before that happens I have to pass a safety certification.

The same would be true and is true of apps designed to overthrow the United States. If they're deemed unsafe like parler just was, they get thrown out.
That’s a car hooked to a train. I’m talking about a complete train with employees from another railroad. That happens only through trackage rights where the two railroads have negotiated an agreement where the railroad that owns the track is paid x amount per train by the railroad that wants to utilize the tracks between point A and point B usually to bridge a gap in its own system. These agreements almost never involve more than two railroads operating on the same line and on most lines no such agreement exists and only one railroad operates there.

Railroads, just like the internet, are privately owned. As a matter of fact they are the only form of transportation that doesn’t take federal money to maintain and improve their infrastructure or to operate.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:37 am

There are five million homeless in the United States. Trump's followers will amount to about that size IF they can find a host environment willing to accept them.
“Obviously, he will have millions of hardcore supporters tuned into broadcast sources still carrying his messages, or [they will] go into whatever online space he occupies … but that is going to be a smaller, more devoted group,” Brooking said, expressing fears they may become “extremely radicalized.”
BTW, Michigan got a Federal grant to rebuild the GLC lines in our area. A good friend was Obama's Assistant Transportation Secretary for railroads. There are plenty of Federal dollars.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7- ... --,00.html

― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:47 pm

Parler is not the only app under fire... If your app is promoting violence, you're done...

All that's left is the complaining.
Amazon, Apple and Google’s moves could also spur other apps to strengthen their enforcement.

DLive, a livestreaming site that rioters storming the Capitol used to broadcast the moment, said on Friday that it had indefinitely suspended seven channels and permanently removed over 100 previous broadcasts of the mob. It added that the “lemons,” a DLive currency that can be converted into real money, sent to the suspended channels would be refunded to donors in the next few days.

Other platforms that host posts by right-wing influencers, including CloutHub and MyMilitia — a forum for militia groups — adjusted their terms of service recently to ban threats of violence.

DLive was pressured by Tipalti, a payment company that helps it operate. Tilpati said in a statement that it had suspended its service until DLive removed the accounts that had broadcast the riots on Wednesday.

Such third-party companies that help apps and websites function, from payment processors to cybersecurity firms to web-hosting providers like Amazon, have used their positions to influence how their customers handle extremist or criminal activity. In 2019, Cloudflare, a company that protects sites from cyberattacks, effectively delivered the death knell to 8chan, an anonymous online message board that hosted the manifesto of a mass shooter, by halting its protections for the site. After Cloudflare backed away from 8chan, the site struggled to find other service providers that could keep it active.

Parler could have the same problem now that it lacked a way to host its website, particularly as the company suddenly became a pariah after Wednesday’s riot, which was partially planned on Parler. Amazon had faced pressure from its own employees and at least one member of Congress before it pulled its support for Parler, and other companies could fear unwanted attention if they took its business.

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:30 pm

why dont these idiot boomers just go to Gab?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic