Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 5:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Masks don't work.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Turkeytop

Re: Masks don't work.

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:20 pm

Nobody has proven to me that hand washing works. I'm going to stop washing my hands.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:47 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:14 pm
I wonder how many sick people got worse and then ended up dying because they were forced (or coerced) into wearing a mask TOO much or TOO often?

It certainly makes sense at some times and in some places, but "too much" can be damaging too. If YOU are infected and are coughing out virus particles that get caught by a mask, where do those end up when you inhale? Quite possible they end up in the remaining uninfected portions of your airways, allowing the virus to spread throughout your system quicker.
What?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:26 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:47 pm
km1125 wrote:
I wonder how many sick people got worse and then ended up dying because they were forced (or coerced) into wearing a mask TOO much or TOO often?

It certainly makes sense at some times and in some places, but "too much" can be damaging too. If YOU are infected and are coughing out virus particles that get caught by a mask, where do those end up when you inhale? Quite possible they end up in the remaining uninfected portions of your airways, allowing the virus to spread throughout your system quicker.
What?
False science. Someone has been hanging out with the Facebook Medical staff.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:35 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:26 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:47 pm
km1125 wrote:

What?
False science. Someone has been hanging out with the Facebook Medical staff.
But it just defies logic... it’s like saying the sky is supposed to be beige...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:28 pm

My P100 mask works.

Everyone else with non-rated ones, not likely!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:53 pm

Lockdowns don't slow the spread. So finds a peer-reviewed article published early last week:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epd ... /eci.13484

Conclusion? "While small benefits cannot be excluded, we do not find significant benefits on case growth of more restrictive NPIs. Similar reductions in case growth may be achievable with less restrictive interventions."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:20 pm

MrReason wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:11 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:20 pm
Nobody has proven to me that hand washing works. I'm going to stop washing my hands.
Your body. Your choice. Just don’t kill anyone else and you’ll be fine.

https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=38

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:34 pm

There isn't a mandate that we wipe our ass, yet the vast majority of people do.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:42 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:34 pm

Majority? Do you have data to support that claim?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:44 pm

Bryce wrote:
That’s a natural instinct. Just like a cat or dog cleans it orally. We can’t reach it that way.

The lockdowns are a relatively natural reaction too... we tend to want to preserve the species and not let ANYBODY die.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:54 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:44 pm
... we tend to want to preserve the species and not let ANYBODY die.
Selectively. How do you explain the ever-increasing speed limits being posted even when data strongly correlates increased speed limits with increased motor vehicle fatalities?

Or how about all the idiots that drive like bats out of hell even when the weather is terrible? 2 day ago here we had dense fog and people weren't slowing down ONE BIT. Today it was slushy and raining/snowing and people still flying through town at 10 over.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:24 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:53 pm
Lockdowns don't slow the spread. So finds a peer-reviewed article published early last week:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epd ... /eci.13484

Conclusion? "While small benefits cannot be excluded, we do not find significant benefits on case growth of more restrictive NPIs. Similar reductions in case growth may be achievable with less restrictive interventions."
I would argue that the conclusion is inconclusive, rather than definitive. The key results of the paper are presented in figures 2 and 3, where they highlight the contribution of specific policies to infection growth rates in a handful of wildly different countries (Figure 2), and then they show the cumulative impact of these policies in Figure 3. While I'm by no means a public health expert of any kind, it seems suspect to me that this paper:
  • doesn't control for compliance to policies,
  • compares outcomes in a handful of wildly different countries (which just doesn't come across as completely robust statistical analysis),
  • and that there is poor overall correlation among similar variables from country to country (e.g., Iran's school lockdown reduced the growth of infection, but increased growth rates in Italy and Spain.
Figure 2 also shows that each country had a unique set of priorities of interventional policies, which makes it really difficult to draw broad conclusions from Figure 3. And in Figure 3, all you can say about South Korea is that these policies may have helped, or were at worst neutral, but the uncertainty on the overall impact is much larger than that of the other countries.

I wish this paper could have included metrics that allowed for a stronger apples-to-apples comparison of the efficacy of specific interventions. One way to do this would have been to look at how these individual metrics vary at an interstate level within the United States, since COVID responses were largely governed by the states and not at the federal level. Another potential way to add more clarity would be to this study would be to analyze compliance using GPS data from mobile phones, and correlate aggregate population behavior in response to each policy. We know that the only way to contract this virus is to be directly exposed to it, and that exposure primarily occurs with close contact with an infected individual, so it would have been nice for this study to include how many potential exposures an average individual may have had. Then, we could perhaps do a direct comparison across countries with vastly different geographical sizes, population densities, and infrastructure.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:00 pm

Bryce wrote:
Japanese-style electric power bidets FTW baby!!! Tried one out in Tokyo and there's no going back to the ways of a caveman. Bonus: I laugh at these toilet paper "shortages".

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:13 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:00 pm
Bryce wrote:
Japanese-style electric power bidets FTW baby!!! Tried one out in Tokyo and there's no going back to the ways of a caveman. Bonus: I laugh at these toilet paper "shortages".

I wondered where bidet had gotten to. He's in Japan.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:23 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:00 pm
Bryce wrote:
Accidently moving the water temperature control on that device can get your attention pretty fast. Does your seat rotate and clean itself after every use too? That was my favorite feature.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic