Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How's That Working Out For Ya?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

How's That Working Out For Ya?

Post by Bryce » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:08 am

Perfect example of the disaster that awaits if the progressive Marxists take over...

Defund The Police?

What a great idea! Lets cut $14 million dollars from the police department budget and spend it on social workers!

According to police data, more than 500 people have been shot in Minneapolis this year – twice as many as 2019, while murders are up more than 50%.

So far this year, there have been nearly 5,000 violent crimes, the most in the past five years, the records show.
With dozens of people dead and roughly 500 wounded by gunfire so far in 2020 — the highest tally in at least 15 yearsresidents have been begging city leaders for a strategy to stem the violence.
https://www.startribune.com/mpls-counci ... 573034401/

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Re: How's That Working Out For Ya?

Post by Bryce » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Looks like I've left the board speechless...
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:23 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:20 pm
I'll bite... 15 years ago they had the same levels as they do now... I bet you 15 years before that it was even higher.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:43 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:23 pm
Bryce wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:20 pm
I'll bite... 15 years ago they had the same levels as they do now... I bet you 15 years before that it was even higher.
That makes no sense. 15 years ago I had high blood pressure, was overweight and borderline diabetic. I changed my lifestyle, improved my diet and embarked on a extensive exercise routine and brought all of those problems under control.

If I stopped doing some of the above, I would gradually return to the poor condition I was in 15 years ago. It wouldn't happen overnight, but it would happen.

Why would I want to do that? What sense would that make? Would I feel warm and fuzzy because I wasn't overweight, but my blood pressure was up and I'm somewhat better than 15 years ago? Or, would a reasonable person say, "Oh shit, I better go back to what I know works?"

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:19 pm

The police have no duty to protect us anyhow. It's a partially broken system, so it's time to fix it.
POLICE HAVE NO DUTY TO PROTECT YOU, FEDERAL COURT AFFIRMS YET AGAIN

On Monday, though, a federal judge ruled that the government agencies " had no constitutional duty to protect students who were not in custody."

This latest decision adds to a growing body of case law establishing that government agencies — including police agencies — have no duty to provide protection to citizens in general:

“Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,” said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.”

The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the government has only a duty to protect persons who are “in custody,” he pointed out.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:40 pm

1. But good ones do anyway. I guess all those police officers who went up the towers to save people didn't have a "duty" to do so. They did it anyway because they took their oath to serve and protect seriously.

2. Another very good reason to carry concealed which our Republican legislature saw fit to make possible for confirmed, trained (some more than others) law abiding citizens.

Some of us don't look to the government to solve all problems.

3. This has NOTHING to do with at the moment protection, this has EVERYTHING to do with proactive policing. That in and if itself provides protection from future incidents.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:47 pm

A city needs police to maintain law and order. Criminals are people who understand that they can get what they want by violating the rules of society. Making enforcement more difficult will not deter them from violating those rules. Its nonsense1

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:10 pm

We don't need cops to hassle Black people. Do we want more George Floyds? Aggressive policing has the opposite effect. It is what leads to.the "no snitching" mindset. Defund the police doesn't mean eliminate; it means reduce. A person that is suicidal doesn't need to be confronted by cops.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:23 pm

doesnt it take hours for cops in Detroit to respond to calls? i don't think this could possibly be a benefit. There are real crimes happening in the inner city. a lot of violence. soial workers cannot prevent it. lets smarten up guys.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:27 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:10 pm
We don't need cops to hassle Black people. Do we want more George Floyds? Aggressive policing has the opposite effect. It is what leads to.the "no snitching" mindset. Defund the police doesn't mean eliminate; it means reduce. A person that is suicidal doesn't need to be confronted by cops.
Feel free to move to Minneapolis. They are doing as you say. How's that working out for them?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:51 pm

Police were called to Carlson's home Nov. 9 for a welfare check. Relatives told dispatchers he was suicidal and armed, and they feared he would provoke a shootout.

During the 12-hour standoff that ensued, the sheriff's department did not obtain a warrant before flooding Carlson's home with tear gas and tossing in a throw phone with surveillance equipment. He was later shot through a window as he argued with officers in his yard.

The court of appeals said an interdepartmental emergency response team made time to order granola bars, hot chocolate and coffee for the officers on scene, but authorities didn't seek a warrant, a decision that "appears to have been driven by the Sheriff's misunderstanding of the Fourth Amendment."

"They had time to call a convenience store for refreshments; they had time to call a judicial officer," the court said.

Carlson was a heavy-equipment operator who lost his job a few months before he was killed. He suffered an accidental prescription drug overdose and was involved in a motor vehicle crash that left him mentally and physically impaired, the attorney for his estate said.

A deputy conducted welfare checks on Carlson the week before he died and was aware of his sister's concerns that depression, the job loss and pending domestic violence charges might lead him to harm himself. The deputy noted that Carlson seemed intoxicated but was not aggressive during those visits.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:17 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:51 pm
Police were called to Carlson's home Nov. 9 for a welfare check. Relatives told dispatchers he was suicidal and armed, and they feared he would provoke a shootout.

During the 12-hour standoff that ensued, the sheriff's department did not obtain a warrant before flooding Carlson's home with tear gas and tossing in a throw phone with surveillance equipment. He was later shot through a window as he argued with officers in his yard.

The court of appeals said an interdepartmental emergency response team made time to order granola bars, hot chocolate and coffee for the officers on scene, but authorities didn't seek a warrant, a decision that "appears to have been driven by the Sheriff's misunderstanding of the Fourth Amendment."

"They had time to call a convenience store for refreshments; they had time to call a judicial officer," the court said.

Carlson was a heavy-equipment operator who lost his job a few months before he was killed. He suffered an accidental prescription drug overdose and was involved in a motor vehicle crash that left him mentally and physically impaired, the attorney for his estate said.

A deputy conducted welfare checks on Carlson the week before he died and was aware of his sister's concerns that depression, the job loss and pending domestic violence charges might lead him to harm himself. The deputy noted that Carlson seemed intoxicated but was not aggressive during those visits.
Per your usual, you neglected to include some rather salient facts from the article.

First, this is from an event that took place in 2007. Evidently the incidents in which police are accused of malfeasance are few and far between if that's the most recent case you could find.

In addition, when looking at the encounter, as reported in the article you quoted, it is clear the police acted in a reasonable manner.
An officer observed Carlson open his back door and fire a single gunshot into the woods.
Carlson told the negotiator he knew the team would deploy tear gas, and when it did, "that will be the start of war." He said he would "kill everybody,"
Before he was shot, Carlson talked with three deputies who stood in his yard as he walked back and forth in front of a large window with a rifle pointed in their general direction.
And most importantly....
The appeals court affirmed a jury's finding of no cause of action against sheriff's Sgt. Charles Jetter, the sniper who shot and killed 49-year-old Craig Carlson at his home in the village of Karlin on Nov. 10, 2007.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:02 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:10 pm
Perhaps George Floyd should have still been in jail, which would have prevented the Minnesota episode from every happening! Did you get a good look at his history?

If suicidal folks with weapons shouldn't be confronted by police, then why don't we have commercials and news articles about how to deal with suicidal folks with weapons? If folks aren't supposed to call the police, should they just 'deal with it' themselves??

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:45 am

I know of recent potential suicide that was handled by the police and all is well. We only hear of the bad things which skews our opinions.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic