Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Final Debate

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: Final Debate

Post by bmw » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:00 pm

I think Biden made one significant gaffe tonight - saying that his goal was to eliminate oil as a fossil fuel by 2050. That is not going to play well in the rust belt and I can guarantee that this is the one thing Republicans and conservative talkers will absolute POUNCE on in the coming days.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:05 pm

I have to admit I get frustrated at Trump's inability to counter-argue the global warming debate. He ALMOST got there tonight but didn't completely connect the dots. All he has to argue is that while man undoubtedly contributes to the changing climate, the United States is only one country out of over 180, and the likes of China, India, and Russia will continue polluting the atmosphere regardless of what the United States does, and we as a country are not going to tank our economy on what is essentially a lost cause since other key players will never participate. Even if the US were to vanish off the face of the earth for the next decade, it wouldn't be enough to barely make a dent in climate change. So what we should be focusing on is keeping our water and air clean here at home, and on that topic....(then go on)

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:10 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:00 pm
I think Biden made one significant gaffe tonight - saying that his goal was to eliminate oil as a fossil fuel by 2050. That is not going to play well in the rust belt and I can guarantee that this is the one thing Republicans and conservative talkers will absolute POUNCE on in the coming days.
I don't think it's going to help him, I agree totally with the sentiment but a stark announcement in a debate without context is not going to be the way to Foster change.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:22 pm

His stock in Pennsylvania betting has already fallen 5 points. And that's a big deal because Trump has margin for error in losing other states if he wins PA.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:24 pm

There are a lot of other ways to go after Trump. Trump by the way did nothing to highlight his victories. The lies got so outrageous he marginalized anything he may have done that was effective.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:26 pm

Are you still standing by your overall prediction BMW?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:27 pm

Trump tweeted the Biden fracking video he referenced during the debate. He tweeted it 52 minutes ago and already 7.4 million views.

Biden's statements tonight on energy just gave Trump life in the states he most importantly needs it. SIGNIFICANT POLITICAL BLUNDER on Biden's part.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:26 pm
Are you still standing by your overall prediction BMW?
If I recall, my official prediction was Trump 277 to Biden 261. I think that remains a good prediction. I wouldn't be totally shocked if that ends up around 290.

It would be interesting if states like Iowa and Arizona flip blue (maybe even North Carolina) but Trump retains a stranglehold on the Rust Belt. He could still narrowly win that way as well.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:27 pm
Trump tweeted the Biden fracking video he referenced during the debate. He tweeted it 52 minutes ago and already 7.4 million views.

Biden's statements tonight on energy just gave Trump life in the states he most importantly needs it. SIGNIFICANT POLITICAL BLUNDER on Biden's part.

They put it up pretty quick!
https://twitter.com/i/status/1319466667676749824

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:35 pm

Wisconsin and MN aren't going to Dump. Wisconsinites turned out in record number for a change in the WI Supreme Court in 2018. Michigan is a toss up. The only Rust belt state he has is Ohio. Biden leads in Pennsylvania.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:47 pm

I'm ready to call Pennsylvania for Trump. You will all find out in the coming days how big of a gaffe Biden's statements on oil and fracking tonight really were.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:02 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:47 pm
I'm ready to call Pennsylvania for Trump. You will all find out in the coming days how big of a gaffe Biden's statements on oil and fracking tonight really were.
We will know by next Tuesday when Rate This pulls the poll for PA. If Philly gets out to vote, I don't see it.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:44 am

bmw wrote:
I think that impact will be a little less than you're hoping for. The only people that will charge up is his base and we've already seen that he is losing by only speaking to his base. I'm sure they're cheering in Texas Oklahoma Wyoming and Louisiana.

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:21 am

bmw wrote:
I don’t think Trumps base is big enough to pull off what you are saying against any candidate with favorable ratings higher than Hillary’s. Biden exceeds that criteria by a lot. I’ll be pulling today’s (10/22) polls later. But Biden has way more he can afford to lose and still win. Trump needs EVERY single swing state.

There simply aren’t enough people in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania that rely on energy to counter a massive blue wave in urban areas. It might have lost him Texas but did you ever really expect him to come closer than 2 in Texas?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:57 am

Most of the people in the oil business in Michigan are shut down because of the prices. Most of the oil guys are now into wind or solar. I know a bunch of them up here who don't have much faith that oil will be their meal ticket for very much longer. Kalkaska looking to get into windmill production.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic