Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Attorney General Sues N.R.A. and Seeks Its Closure

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Attorney General Sues N.R.A. and Seeks Its Closure

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:42 pm

This is perhaps the greatest news of the decade... With them out of the way, and Biden in office with the Democrats controlling both houses, real gun control is a real possibility.
The New York attorney general, Letitia James, filed a lawsuit Thursday seeking to dissolve the National Rifle Association, alleging that years of corruption and misspending had irreparably undermined its ability to operate as a nonprofit.

The lawsuit sets up a legal confrontation that could take years to play out and will leave the 148-year-old N.R.A. — long the nation’s most influential gun-rights lobby but recently hobbled by financial woes and infighting — fighting for its survival. The attorney general’s office previously presided over the dissolution of President Trump’s scandal-marred charitable foundation, but the N.R.A., with more than five million members, is a far larger organization that is expected to put up a more prolonged fight.

Ms. James also sued four current or former top N.R.A. leaders, seeking tens of millions of dollars in restitution, including Wayne LaPierre, the longtime chief executive. The others named in the suit are John Frazer, the organization’s general counsel; Josh Powell, a former top lieutenant of Mr. LaPierre’s; and Woody Phillips, a former chief financial officer.

The suit accuses the N.R.A. and the executives of “violating numerous state and federal laws” by enriching themselves, as well as their friends, families and allies, and taking improper actions that cost the organization $64 million over three years. The attorney general has regulatory authority over the N.R.A. because it is chartered as a nonprofit in New York. She is also seeking to oust Mr. LaPierre and Mr. Frazer, and to bar all four men from ever serving on nonprofit boards in New York again.

The lawsuit, which was filed in State Supreme Court in Manhattan, is a civil action. Ms. James can also make, or seek, a criminal referral, but it was not clear whether she would do so. A summary of her lawsuit outlined, among other things, alleged federal tax violations, raising the question of whether such violations would be referred to the Internal Revenue Service.
NY Times

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

zzand

Re: Attorney General Sues N.R.A. and Seeks Its Closure

Post by zzand » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Stands as much a chance of winning as someone filing suit to dissolve Planned Parenthood.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:11 pm

zzand wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:07 pm
Stands as much a chance of winning as someone filing suit to dissolve Planned Parenthood.
Well, Planned Parenthood is a consortium of state organizations, so it wouldn't be the same.

The NRA is more like the Trump Foundation this prosecutor took down earlier this year. The NRA is broke, gun manufacturers are hurting. I think they are cooked.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:20 pm

You keeping thinking that. You would be wrong, but what the hell, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:25 pm

Sell all the "assets", fold it up, and start up "NRA part deux" and get back to business!!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:24 pm

As long as the NRA doesn't receive any public funding I really don't have an issue if they squander funds from those who contribute to the organization. I just don't lose any sleep about rubes being ripped off. Cut a check to the NRA (or the Trump campaign for that matter since there are similar allegations of funds being misappropriated for staff member's personal gain) and you are well deserving of being swindled.
Last edited by Lester The Nightfly on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:28 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:24 pm
As long as the NRA doesn't receive any public funding I really don't have an issue if they squander funds from those who contribute to the organization. I just don't lose any sleep about rubes being ripped off.

Are donations to NRA tax deductible? If they are, then it's taxpayers money being squandered.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:28 pm
As long as the NRA doesn't receive any public funding I really don't have an issue if they squander funds from those who contribute to the organization. I just don't lose any sleep about rubes being ripped off.

Are donations to NRA tax deductible? If they are, then it's taxpayers money being squandered.
I don't know. If they are then yes, the tax payer is being cheated and the organization or those committing the fraud should face legal consequences.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:52 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:32 pm

Disarming law-abiding citizens has always been the plan of the dumb Dems.

They want to violate the 1st Amendment, the right of the NRA to peacefully assemble. Then, they want to violate the 2nd Amendment by taking away guns from law-abiding citizens so that the government and the lawless can take over.

You're obviously not a student of history. Look at all the countries where guns were taken away from law-abiding citizens and the right to peacefully assemble was taken away. Police-states don't work out really well for commoners like you.
How does prosecuting the NRA disarm law abiding citizens?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:05 pm

How does prosecuting the NRA disarm law abiding citizens?
It doesn't. Period.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:16 pm

As long as the NRA doesn't receive any public funding I really don't have an issue if they squander funds from those who contribute to the organization. I just don't lose any sleep about rubes being ripped off. Cut a check to the NRA (or the Trump campaign for that matter since there are similar allegations of funds being misappropriated for staff member's personal gain) and you are well deserving of being swindled.
That's pretty much how I feel about churches.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:20 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:16 pm
That's pretty much how I feel about churches.
But if I avoid paying taxes on part of my income by donating it to a church, taxpayers have an interest in how the church uses that money.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:37 pm

The Second Amendment should be embraced by all Americans regardless of political affiliation.

This just sheds light on more foolishness from the left. Piss and moan about Federal thugs, yet call for the disarmament of the citizenry.

Absolutely baffling.

Thread Killer

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:06 pm

R Bedell wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:24 pm
US Constitution - 2nd Amendment

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Nuff said

And how does prosecuting the NRA infringe that right?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:56 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:28 pm
NonProfit 501c3 and c4 have very clear rules about leadership embezzling funds. Maybe LaPierre will go to "fuck me in the ass" prison. That would be a bonus.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic