Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Russia Paid The Taliban To Kill American Soldiers In Afganistan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Russia Paid The Taliban To Kill American Soldiers In Afganistan

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:03 pm

UP906 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:59 pm
No discernible benefit? How about a level playing field for starters. People like you would have us in this fight with our hands tied behind our backs.

Who said anything about adding China to G7?
No adding a Chinese ally in Russia into the G7 and then expecting them to plot against China... its asinine.

Trump and Company are fine letting Russia do whatever they want with little more than rolling over at great benefit to their expansionist aims. That’s what killing these treaties allows in spades for Russia.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:08 pm

I disagree.

Say you are playing cards. The guy across the table deals from the bottom of the deck. Do you continue to sit there with a smile on your face, or do you get up and leave?

I get up and leave.

Thread Killer

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:24 pm

UP906 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:08 pm
I disagree.

Say you are playing cards. The guy across the table deals from the bottom of the deck. Do you continue to sit there with a smile on your face, or do you get up and leave?

I get up and leave.
I’d try to figure out what he’s up to and play the game. Creating a power vacuum does nothing for us.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm

Power vacuum?

Russia was in the driver's seat on INF and Open Skies. Trump effectively took those two tools out of Putin's hands.

Thread Killer

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 pm

UP906 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm
Power vacuum?

Russia was in the driver's seat on INF and Open Skies. Trump effectively took those two tools out of Putin's hands.
They were multi-nation agreements that we negotiated and that allowed a level of oversight on all sides. Our allies are more vulnerable which is precisely why they were so up in arms about it.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 pm
UP906 wrote:
Power vacuum?

They were multi-nation agreements that we negotiated and that allowed a level of oversight on all sides. Our allies are more vulnerable which is precisely why they were so up in arms about it.
INF was Russia and U.S. (actually Soviets right?) Russia was not complying, so we left.

Open Skies has what 40 other participants? All we did was say that we (the U.S.) will no longer participate due to Russias bending of the rules in their favor.

The way this is reading is that you believe Trump is "bending over backwards" for Russia, when the exact opposite is true. In fact, I would say that staying involved in treaties that put us at a disadvantage to an enemy state is the very definition of "bending over".

Thread Killer

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:50 pm

UP906 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:47 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 pm
UP906 wrote:
Power vacuum?

INF was Russia and U.S. (actually Soviets right?) Russia was not complying, so we left.

Open Skies has what 40 other participants? All we did was say that we (the U.S.) will no longer participate due to Russias bending of the rules in their favor.

The way this is reading is that you believe Trump is "bending over backwards" for Russia, when the exact opposite is true. In fact, I would say that staying involved in treaties that put us at a disadvantage to an enemy state is the very definition of "bending over".
Isn’t he supposed to be some sort of great negotiator? Why not try to fix them?

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:54 pm

<facepalm>

He did the right thing.

Thread Killer

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:33 pm

UP906 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:54 pm
<facepalm>

He did the right thing.
You didn’t answer the question... why not renegotiate. He has the mans ear, if it’s so bad why not? What does he have to lose?

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:38 pm

Because there was nothing to renegotiate. The treaty, as it was signed, was absolutely fine. The simple fact of the matter is that Putin was working outside of the treaty's guidelines.

So what do you do? Do you appease the petulant child by doing nothing or do you appease the petulant child by trying to amend a treaty that he wipes his ass with?

Or... do you say, "Fire up the land based cruise missiles and hypersonics boys, we got us a technology gap to close."

I go for the last one.

Thread Killer

UP906

Post by UP906 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:24 am

I guess we fire up the land based cruise missiles and hypersonics then.

Good move Mr. President.

Thread Killer

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:43 am

UP906 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:24 am
I guess we fire up the land based cruise missiles and hypersonics then.

Good move Mr. President.
I meant to reply before you blow us all to bits... I guess the question becomes... what are you trying to do? Blow us all to bits after a slow steady build up to a second Cold War?

UP906

Post by UP906 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:56 am

No, I'm just trying to have equal footing with an opponent that has been gaming the system for a long time.

I feel that having a position of strength and a cold war is far better than being obviously behind the curve which could very likely result in a hot war.

Thread Killer

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:58 pm

Previous presidents would have taken some sort of action. You seem to support giving more things to Russia despite their paying to kill our troops. Very odd.
You can pretend all you want that Trump didn't take action. But you know that's just fake news.

He got right on the phone to Putin and invited him back into the G8. He pulled U.S. forces out of Germany for him. What more do you expect?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:33 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:01 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:58 pm

Previous presidents would have taken some sort of action. You seem to support giving more things to Russia despite their paying to kill our troops. Very odd.
You can pretend all you want that Trump didn't take action. But you know that's just fake news.

He got right on the phone to Putin and invited him back into the G8. He pulled U.S. forces out of Germany for him. What more do you expect?
Really. What more does it take to earn that "Employee of the Month" prize these days? You have to admire Trump's hustle. Granted there's probably a free meal at McDonald's and a premium EOTM parking spot for a month near the Kremlin involved for the win. Seem like that and having Putin's private phone number is all the motivation Donnie needs to sell out the military.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic