Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Blacks exempt from mask-wearing requirements in one county in Oregon

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Blacks exempt from mask-wearing requirements in one county in Oregon

Post by bmw » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:14 pm

Well....they were. But that policy has been rescinded:
A mask mandate exemption for people of color meant to address racial profiling concerns has been removed after racist backlash, Oregon county officials said in a statement.

"The expressions of racism regarding the exception has created a ripple of fear throughout our communities of color. The very policy meant to protect them, is now making them a target for further discrimination and harassment," Lincoln County leaders said Wednesday.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/orego ... index.html

Now hold on....I thought black people were at a far higher risk from Covid than are other races. So how is a policy exempting them from having to wear masks "meant to protect them"??? Not being racially profiled is more important than not getting sick and dying?

At any rate, the policy itself was discriminatory - I wasn't aware that you could restrict the activities of people of one race while allowing those same activities by people of another race.

Rate This

Re: Blacks exempt from mask-wearing requirements in one county in Oregon

Post by Rate This » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:26 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:14 pm
Well....they were. But that policy has been rescinded:
A mask mandate exemption for people of color meant to address racial profiling concerns has been removed after racist backlash, Oregon county officials said in a statement.

"The expressions of racism regarding the exception has created a ripple of fear throughout our communities of color. The very policy meant to protect them, is now making them a target for further discrimination and harassment," Lincoln County leaders said Wednesday.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/orego ... index.html

Now hold on....I thought black people were at a far higher risk from Covid than are other races. So how is a policy exempting them from having to wear masks "meant to protect them"??? Not being racially profiled is more important than not getting sick and dying?

At any rate, the policy itself was discriminatory - I wasn't aware that you could restrict the activities of people of one race while allowing those same activities by people of another race.
At the end of the day it’s still a marketplace of ideas and some ideas just aren’t all that much of a “buy”...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic