Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Surprised It Took This Long

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
km1125

Re: Surprised It Took This Long

Post by km1125 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:52 am

I'm not sure the year lines up with those numbers, but the last stats I saw for unarmed were 10 or 12 AA and 30 Caucasians.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:59 am

Well, I guess we have found out how the residents and business owners in the "Chop" zone feel about the occupiers. It is also an abject lesson on what will happen without a police presence.
SEATTLE (AP) — Faced with growing pressure to crack down on an “occupied” protest zone following two weekend shootings, Seattle’s mayor said Monday that officials will move to wind down the blocks-long span of city streets taken over two weeks ago that President Donald Trump asserted is run by “anarchists.”

Mayor Jenny Durkan said the violence was distracting from changes sought by thousands of peaceful protesters opposing racial inequity and police brutality. She said at a news conference that the city is working with the community to bring the “Capitol Hill Occupied Protest” zone, or CHOP, to an end and that police soon would move back into a precinct building they had largely abandoned in the area.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:11 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:59 am
Well, I guess we have found out how the residents and business owners in the "Chop" zone feel about the occupiers. It is also an abject lesson on what will happen without a police presence.
SEATTLE (AP) — Faced with growing pressure to crack down on an “occupied” protest zone following two weekend shootings, Seattle’s mayor said Monday that officials will move to wind down the blocks-long span of city streets taken over two weeks ago that President Donald Trump asserted is run by “anarchists.”

Mayor Jenny Durkan said the violence was distracting from changes sought by thousands of peaceful protesters opposing racial inequity and police brutality. She said at a news conference that the city is working with the community to bring the “Capitol Hill Occupied Protest” zone, or CHOP, to an end and that police soon would move back into a precinct building they had largely abandoned in the area.
Most people are calling for a deescalation and less funding. Most people don’t want no police at all however. The model does need to change though. Policing and the justice and court systems are clearly broken.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:08 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:11 am
Most people are calling for a deescalation and less funding. Most people don’t want no police at all however. The model does need to change though. Policing and the justice and court systems are clearly broken.
The same folks calling for less funding to fix something that they think is broken, call for MORE funding for other things that are even more broken.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:58 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:08 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:11 am
The same folks calling for less funding to fix something that they think is broken, call for MORE funding for other things that are even more broken.
More funding is the problem in this case. Again the universe is not black and white... it’s shades of grey. What works well for one thing may make something else worse.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:37 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:58 am

More funding is the problem in this case.

How is more funding for police departments a problem in this case?
Rate This wrote:
Again the universe is not black and white... it’s shades of grey. What works well for one thing may make something else worse.
May, MAY, there isn't a whole lot of evidence you provide.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:49 am

You want real change? You want to fix some of these problems? How about defunding this country's indoctrination centers (ie, colleges and universities).

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:55 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:49 am
You want real change? You want to fix some of these problems? How about defunding this country's indoctrination centers (ie, colleges and universities).
Have you ever attended a college or university?

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:00 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:55 am
bmw wrote:
Yes. Saginaw Valley. For 6 years. But that was between 1999 and 2005. Things have changed a lot since then. Even then I had a lot of liberal professors, but they weren't nutjobs. Based on the beliefs and behaviors I see from today's university attendants, I'm left to conclude that this has changed significantly since my time in college.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:00 pm

bmw wrote:
Don'f forget government run grade and high schools.

You would have enjoyed the conversation at one of the group parent teacher conference's I attended a number of years ago. My daughter came home and was sobbing. When I asked her what was wrong she said she was sad because her teacher told her that all the polar bears were going to die unless we stop driving cars.

Some of the parents in attendance were entertained, some were aghast, the teacher ended up leaving the conference.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:02 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:37 am
Rate This wrote:

More funding is the problem in this case.

How is more funding for police departments a problem in this case?
Rate This wrote:
Again the universe is not black and white... it’s shades of grey. What works well for one thing may make something else worse.
May, MAY, there isn't a whole lot of evidence you provide.
That’s meant as a general statement and I think you know that. Nice try.

The police have been overly built up and too much like a military unit for several years. This causes citizens to feel like they are being occupied rather than protected. Defunding doesn’t mean eliminating. Just reducing the ominous presence.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:03 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:00 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:55 am
bmw wrote:
Yes. Saginaw Valley. For 6 years. But that was between 1999 and 2005. Things have changed a lot since then. Even then I had a lot of liberal professors, but they weren't nutjobs. Based on the beliefs and behaviors I see from today's university attendants, I'm left to conclude that this has changed significantly since my time in college.
Much of it isn’t even that... social media has done more to link people together. Most students ignore the supposed indoctrination anyway.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:51 pm

Wait a minute! Before that can even be considered, someone that owns a home or business in that area, that doesn't want to be part of this nonsense, needs to be compensated.

Doesn't look like the people unlawfully occupying this area has a thousand dollars between them.
To be clear - my proposal was to allow the citizens in that district to vote in favor of secession/disincorporation from the city of Seattle.

I was not advocating for "mob rule."

If this district were to spin-off into a newly created city, that city would need to put forth a functioning government and demonstrate an ability to deliver basic services in accordance with the laws of the state of Washington.

Washington, similar to Michigan and the vast majority of states, is a home rule state.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:53 am

Some of the citizens are "voting"...
Seattle CHOP zone prompts lawsuit from businesses, residents: reports
Numerous Seattle businesses – including an auto repair shop, a tattoo parlor and a property management company – sued the city Wednesday, alleging city officials were complicit in allowing an “occupied protest” that has made them feel unsafe in their neighborhood, according to reports.

Workers and residents also joined the lawsuit over CHOP, the Capitol Hill Occupied Protest, which drew scorn from President Trump and other critics who accused Mayor Jenny Durkan, the city’s police chief and other city leaders of turning the area over to “anarchists.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic