Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Laws shielding bad cops

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Laws shielding bad cops

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:55 am

A poster made a comment that we shouldn't be publicizing criminal police officers like we publicize other criminals and the media. Soon, the law that protects bad cops will be revoked in New York state. Why do police get special protection?
Why Secrecy Laws Protecting Bad Officers Are Falling
An obscure New York State law that has kept police behavior from public scrutiny for decades may finally be overturned.

The law, known by its identification in the state’s civil code — 50-a — was originally intended to shield good cops from vigilantes. But in practices it has protected habitually delinquent police officers for decades. However unlikely it would have been just a month ago, 50-a now faces the overdue prospect of erasure. On Monday, high-ranking members of New York’s state legislature committed to overturning it along with a spate of other bills that would that signify a similarly radical change to what the law has tolerated from the police.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/nyre ... s-50a.html

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Re: Laws shielding bad cops

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:21 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:55 am
A poster made a comment that we shouldn't be publicizing criminal police officers like we publicize other criminals and the media. Soon, the law that protects bad cops will be revoked in New York state. Why do police get special protection?
An obscure New York State law that has kept police behavior from public scrutiny for decades may finally be overturned.

The law, known by its identification in the state’s civil code — 50-a — was originally intended to shield good cops from vigilantes. But in practices it has protected habitually delinquent police officers for decades. However unlikely it would have been just a month ago, 50-a now faces the overdue prospect of erasure. On Monday, high-ranking members of New York’s state legislature committed to overturning it along with a spate of other bills that would that signify a similarly radical change to what the law has tolerated from the police.
Show their mugshot yes, that’s about all most criminals get. A quick mention in a 30 second OTS. What I said was they shouldn’t have their full address, phone number and email published on the 6pm news. If that were to happen they would most likely have their houses burned down and their families injured. That outcome is immoral as well. You keep defending how Christian you are at the expense of everybody else. Justify that sort of mob violence if more than their name was put out there and make it jive with Christianity. I’ll wait.

You twist people’s words at Will and ignore what everybody says because it doesn’t fit your agenda. Typical clueless progressive. You want to do that go start your own party and quit hijacking mine.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:36 pm

From the suggestion box: Try reading TC Talks posts as if they are coming from a radio personality / producer that is trying to generate phone calls by making provocative statements and "bad" takes.

While there is of course some truth to the posturing, otherwise it wouldn't work at all, most of what you read is an attempt to be edgy and just for entertainment.

I'll hang up and listen.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:43 pm

Howard Jones wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:36 pm
From the suggestion box: Try reading TC Talks posts as if they are coming from a radio personality / producer that is trying to generate phone calls by making provocative statements and "bad" takes.

While there is of course some truth to the posturing, otherwise it wouldn't work at all, most of what you read is an attempt to be edgy and just for entertainment.

I'll hang up and listen.
Noted, good point... I’ll watch and laugh.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:56 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:21 pm
…. Show their mugshot yes, that’s about all most criminals get. A quick mention in a 30 second OTS. What I said was they shouldn’t have their full address, phone number and email published on the 6pm news. If that were to happen they would most likely have their houses burned down and their families injured. That outcome is immoral as well ….
Very good point.
This isn't done when a criminal kills someone.
Wasn't done when some mass shooter did their thing. I agree with what you say.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:10 pm

Rate This wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

Show their mugshot yes, that’s about all most criminals get. A quick mention in a 30 second OTS. What I said was they shouldn’t have their full address, phone number and email published on the 6pm news. If that were to happen they would most likely have their houses burned down and their families injured. That outcome is immoral as well. You keep defending how Christian you are at the expense of everybody else. Justify that sort of mob violence if more than their name was put out there and make it jive with Christianity. I’ll wait.

You twist people’s words at Will and ignore what everybody says because it doesn’t fit your agenda. Typical clueless progressive. You want to do that go start your own party and quit hijacking mine.
So let's explore that, when did I suggest that a criminal cop should have there address broadcast? I don't believe that I did. The perp walk and mug shot are sufficient in these days of the internet.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:25 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:10 pm
Rate This wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

So let's explore that, when did I suggest that a criminal cop should have there address broadcast? I don't believe that I did. The perp walk and mug shot are sufficient in these days of the internet.
You said put out their public information. That isn’t a mugshot or a perp walk something you do see cops get when they get charged.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:28 pm

I never considered address to be public. Anything on court documents is public. Height, Weight, Eye Color etc... If address is listed, than fine. If they publish the address of people arrested in the local paper, usually it's the city of residence.

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:31 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:28 pm
I never considered address to be public. Anything on court documents is public. Height, Weight, Eye Color etc... If address is listed, than fine. If they publish the address of people arrested in the local paper, usually it's the city of residence.
Then just say mug shot and perp walk. That kind of stuff happens to anybody the media can get information for. They don’t care who did it, just that they can show people a shiny new criminal...

As for height and weight and stuff... if They already have the guy then that information is irrelevant. It’s only needed to find the guy which is either going to be done by the authorities or an angry mob who doesn’t want to wait for a conviction first.
Last edited by Rate This on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:33 pm

It's currently not legal in New York.

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:41 am

Civilians do things that would get the ire of vigilantes all the time. Something to bring up is the popularity of doxing nowadays. There are websites which will host dox for any reason and they will resist taking dox down just on principle. You would be surprised at both what is legal and what is illegal, but is still not likely to be removed from the web. Cops have a shitty job, but god damn, so do most other people. They have a dangerous job, but there are many jobs which are more dangerous. Cops do a lot of good but also a lot of bad. Removing protections like this really won't do much, but I guess its symbolic of the fact that people are fed up with the authoritarian bullshit.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:13 am

Howard Jones wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:36 pm

I'll hang up and listen.
ding.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic