Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Wisconsin Supreme Court rules “stay at home” unconstitutional

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: Wisconsin Supreme Court rules “stay at home” unconstitutional

Post by audiophile » Thu May 14, 2020 7:26 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:05 pm
bmw wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:22 am
Herd immunity. I'm all for whatever it takes to get us there the fastest way possible without overrunning the hospitals as that is the ONLY viable solution to this. Anybody who thinks that:

A) a vaccine is the magical solution, and/or
B) that we can hold out that long

...will be sadly disappointed to find at the end of the road that not only is a vaccine not the magical cure, but that the country is a shell of its former self and the problems it faces at that time make the Coronavirus look like a mild sniffle in comparison.
Sweden never closed down schools or restaurants and still had fewer deaths per capita than Michigan. Hmmm
It's interesting for sure.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri May 15, 2020 12:33 pm

People who can’t handle the truth embrace instead Trump’s dystopian American Fantasy.

People who can face the truth embrace Dr. Fauci’s safer way back to The American Dream.

One attracts the impatient, ignorant, and short-sighted.

The other attracts the patient, wise, and long-view-sighted.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri May 15, 2020 12:49 pm

During the campaign Trump was asked in an interview if he’d ever endured a personal sacrifice.

His answer revealed that he did not even know what that meant.

It was a striking moment as to his character. And a fearful moment for what it revealed about a possible future world leader.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:53 pm

Next up, Oregon:
A judge in rural Oregon on Monday tossed out statewide coronavirus restrictions imposed by Democratic Gov. Kate Brown, saying she didn’t seek the Legislature's approval to extend the stay-at-home orders beyond a 28-day limit.
http://katu.com/news/local/judge-tosses ... rnor-brown

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon May 18, 2020 9:50 pm

Howard Jones wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:53 pm
Next up, Oregon:
A judge in rural Oregon on Monday tossed out statewide coronavirus restrictions imposed by Democratic Gov. Kate Brown, saying she didn’t seek the Legislature's approval to extend the stay-at-home orders beyond a 28-day limit.
http://katu.com/news/local/judge-tosses ... rnor-brown
Brown has vowed to appeal.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon May 18, 2020 10:06 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:50 pm
I'm sure she has. And she will lose. If the statute is worded the way the Circuit judge implies it is, then this is an open-and-shut case.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon May 18, 2020 10:23 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:06 pm
Rate This wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:50 pm
I'm sure she has. And she will lose. If the statute is worded the way the Circuit judge implies it is, then this is an open-and-shut case.
One would surmise that she’ll appeal at least one more time...

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:54 pm

It would be most intriguing to hear from the SCOTUS. Emergency powers by the government are clearly necessary -- as is the need to have a clear definition of things like timeframes.

My opinion is that, in Michigan, Whitmer was clearly and correctly acting within her powers for the first 28 days, and then again when the legislature granted her the 2-week extension of those powers. Now though? Not so much.

In my mind, an emergency exists when decisions must be made in a matter of hours to address immanent threats to human safety and property. Once that immediate threat is over ... say with the reasonable time frame of 28 days, if the conditions that led to the emergency are still ongoing, the situation evolves into something that can be addressed much more reasonably by a committee (ie the legislature) versus "just" the "emergency manager".

The fight shouldn't be over the rules themselves, some of which are clearly necessary, but instead of who has the power to issue defacto legislation. To me anyway, there simply must be limits on the executive branch's ability to write laws that extend beyond something that addresses an immediate emergency - no matter which party controls which branch of the government. Our entire system of government depends on each branch doing what it does best with the proper checks and balances in place between those branches.

The argument over the very foundation of our system of government is extremely important to me. I don't want any governor or US president getting the kind of power over the people that we have been witnessing since March. I want as many voices engaged as possible in making sound decisions that protect the people while balancing the very freedoms so many have fought and died for since our forefathers saw a way to create a system of government that has been the best in the world for almost 250 years.

There is a reason the states have legislative bodies. No emergency should ever exempt them from being involved in legislating solutions.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue May 19, 2020 3:41 pm

Howard Jones wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:54 pm
It would be most intriguing to hear from the SCOTUS. Emergency powers by the government are clearly necessary -- as is the need to have a clear definition of things like timeframes.

My opinion is that, in Michigan, Whitmer was clearly and correctly acting within her powers for the first 28 days, and then again when the legislature granted her the 2-week extension of those powers. Now though? Not so much.

In my mind, an emergency exists when decisions must be made in a matter of hours to address immanent threats to human safety and property. Once that immediate threat is over ... say with the reasonable time frame of 28 days, if the conditions that led to the emergency are still ongoing, the situation evolves into something that can be addressed much more reasonably by a committee (ie the legislature) versus "just" the "emergency manager".

The fight shouldn't be over the rules themselves, some of which are clearly necessary, but instead of who has the power to issue defacto legislation. To me anyway, there simply must be limits on the executive branch's ability to write laws that extend beyond something that addresses an immediate emergency - no matter which party controls which branch of the government. Our entire system of government depends on each branch doing what it does best with the proper checks and balances in place between those branches.

The argument over the very foundation of our system of government is extremely important to me. I don't want any governor or US president getting the kind of power over the people that we have been witnessing since March. I want as many voices engaged as possible in making sound decisions that protect the people while balancing the very freedoms so many have fought and died for since our forefathers saw a way to create a system of government that has been the best in the world for almost 250 years.

There is a reason the states have legislative bodies. No emergency should ever exempt them from being involved in legislating solutions.
When nobody actually wants to work together this is what we get (the legislature said they did but that was a cop out when the tables were turned against them)...

Look at Wisconsin... the legislature she’s, gets the order struck down by the state Supreme Court and then promptly has no plan to do much of anything instead... the end goal was just to be rid of something a Democratic Governor did... that’s it...

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:58 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:41 pm
When nobody actually wants to work together this is what we get (the legislature said they did but that was a cop out when the tables were turned against them)...

Look at Wisconsin... the legislature she’s, gets the order struck down by the state Supreme Court and then promptly has no plan to do much of anything instead... the end goal was just to be rid of something a Democratic Governor did... that’s it...
Agreed. If a legislative body declines actions to timely mitigate an issue that clearly needs to be addressed, such as a pandemic or natural disaster, the executive should be permitted, with either the guidance of a law or an emergency order by the courts, to take temporary action.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Joe Walsh has a hidden track on one of his albums, can’t remember if it was after Life’s Been Good, or In the City, song: Look, there goes a flock of wah wah’s!
Can we now get back to helping each other to survive this crap? Maybe help the old lady next door get groceries or cat food or something? It’ll make you feel good too!

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 20, 2020 12:11 am

HD74 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:56 pm
Joe Walsh has a hidden track on one of his albums, can’t remember if it was after Life’s Been Good, or In the City, song: Look, there goes a flock of wah wah’s!
Can we now get back to helping each other to survive this crap? Maybe help the old lady next door get groceries or cat food or something? It’ll make you feel good too!
Life’s been good, the hidden track is attached to the version of the song I got from Apple Music...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic