Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Attention Canada. Get Over Yourself

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Turkeytop

Attention Canada. Get Over Yourself

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:04 pm

Canadians who feel so smug and superior, whenever Donald Trump launches into one of his racist tirades, really ought to look inward at our own conservative Party.

Derek Sloan, candidate for the Conservative Party leadership, and who hopes to be our next Prime Minister, is demanding the firing of Canada's top Medical officer of Health Teresa Tam, because of her Chinese heritage.
Conservative leadership candidate under fire for asking whether top pandemic doctor 'works for China'

A Conservative leadership candidate is facing an angry backlash after he suggested Canada's chief public health officer is working for China and should be fired for giving bad advice to the government on the COVID-19 crisis.

Derek Sloan, an MP from eastern Ontario who is running to lead his party under the slogan "Conservative - Without Apology," posted a message and video on Facebook and Twitter this week claiming that Dr. Theresa Tam had "failed Canadians."

"Dr. Tam must go! Canada must remain sovereign over decisions. The UN, the WHO, and Chinese Communist propaganda must never again have a say over Canada's public health!" he wrote.

"Does [Tam] work for Canada or for China?" Sloane asks in a tweeted video. He also accused the country's top doctor of parroting lines from the World Health Organization (WHO) after it repeated "misinformation" disseminated by the communist Chinese government.

His remarks drew swift condemnation on social media, with some calling his words "repugnant," "vile" and "xenophobic."

Tam, who was born in British Hong Kong and grew up in the U.K., has denounced the rise in anti-Asian racist incidents in Canada since the novel coronavirus erupted in Wuhan, China.

Today, she brushed off Sloan's comments as "noise."

"I'm a pretty focused person and I work really, really hard," Tam said, adding that she has been working more than 20 hours a day.

"My singular focus is to work with all my colleagues to get this epidemic wave under control. I don't let noise sort of detract me from doing that."

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer repeatedly refused to denounce or comment on Sloan's remarks.

"I won't be commenting on individual statements or positions that leadership candidates take. That's up for them to explain, and ultimately the members of our party will decide when they vote in a leadership race," he said.

Scheer has raised concerns about the WHO's track record during the pandemic and its relationship with the communist regime in China, but has directed his criticism of Canada's response to the pandemic at the Liberal government rather than Tam.

"We've got serious concerns about the accuracy of the information coming out of the WHO and it's incumbent upon this government to explain why they have based so many of their decisions on the WHO," Scheer said earlier this month.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was asked today about the rise in anti-Asian racist incidents across Canada generally and Sloan's statement specifically.

"Intolerance and racism have no place in our country," he said.

"Canada has succeeded because of our diversity. It is one of our greatest strengths, and the millions of Canadians of all different backgrounds who are working together ... to help their fellow Canadians deserve better than this from all of us.

"We need to continue in our resolve to be an open, welcoming, respectful country and I think all Canadians expect that of every politician."

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said Sloan's comments could incite racism and Scheer should condemn them.

"From the beginning of this crisis, we've heard horrible stories of abuse faced by Asian Canadians, particularly those of Chinese descent. There is no question that MP Sloan's comments against Dr. Theresa Tam fuel this kind of racism. Andrew Scheer needs to clearly denounce this," he tweeted.

loan's leadership campaign website says "the damage to free speech, freedom of religion and freedom of conscience happening in Canada can not be understated. It's time for everyone concerned about these issues to stand up and support a candidate who will not just pay lip service but get in the line of fire to defend these freedoms."

Sloan's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from CBC News.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sloan- ... -1.5542497

I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Ben Zonia

Re: Attention Canada. Get Over Yourself

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:17 pm

"There are many smug self righteous Canadians."

A Canadian said this, and a Canadian rerecorded it. If you can't stand to listen about how great America is, and how shoddily they are treated by the rest of the world, skip to 3:22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw2ysu1RWLA
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:53 pm

He sounds like he is trying to channel his inner Trump... kinda don’t think that’ll work in Canada but maybe the conservatives there are similar to ours.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:56 pm

You should see how my Canadian friends a ripping Trudeau...

You guys would be rollin'
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:59 pm

I try to avoid making negative comments about Trudeau here, out of respect for a close member of his family, who also posts here.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:08 pm

Smart. Very Smart.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:18 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:53 pm
He sounds like he is trying to channel his inner Trump... kinda don’t think that’ll work in Canada but maybe the conservatives there are similar to ours.
I knew Byron. Bryon was, maybe not a friend per se, but at least an acquaintance of mine. Byron would have been appalled by the treatment our current President is given by the press. He would have fired reporters for acting like many in the main stream are acting today.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:18 am

I guess some things never change. At least since Shakespeare's time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eVtbXaGO8E
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:39 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:18 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:53 pm
I knew Byron. Bryon was, maybe not a friend per se, but at least an acquaintance of mine. Byron would have been appalled by the treatment our current President is given by the press. He would have fired reporters for acting like many in the main stream are acting today.
Ah so for asking valid questions he doesn’t like? He even yelled at somebody for throwing him a softball (!)... he was essentially asked how he would comfort the American people by a CBS reporter and all he could say was literally “I think you’re a terrible reporter”. That was all he had... no empathy or anything. I’m supposed to feel bad for the guy??? Someone asked him “you know, you have a month and a half gap in your video, why is that and what steps did you take in that month and a half?”... so he rants about how unfair she is. This man has no stones and it Seems a tad silly To me that if he cannot get up the balls to engage them properly it becomes “they are so unfair!”. But that’s modern conservatism... excuses and deflections and “they are mean nasty people and I’m the victim of this that and the other”. Spare me. Especially when he looks a gift horse in the mouth...

Also do you think this sort of thing on the opinion side where they dress up as “journalists” is new (looking at you Hannity?) Cause it’s got a long and storied tradition. Even a name to go with it. Muckraking. This idea of objective journalism is relatively new... like post WW2 new.. Journalists used to openly advocate for parties with newspapers being backed by said parties and reporting occurring accordingly. Your entire thesis is incredibly weak.

Who exactly is Byron anyways?
Last edited by Rate This on Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:49 am, edited 6 times in total.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:10 am

Another Version:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic