Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dr. Fauci in January: the virus is a "very, very low risk to the United States"

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Dr. Fauci in January: the virus is a "very, very low risk to the United States"

Post by bmw » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:40 am

To those who post on this board who think Dr. Fauci is nearly God-like in his knowledge of the Coronavirus and that Trump has no clue what he's doing and should have acted much sooner, you might want to take a listen to Dr. Fauci being interviewed on January 26 of this year. Here are a few of the highlights:

QUESTION: "What do you tell the American people about what's going on? Should they be scared?"
I don't think so. The American people should not be frightened by this; it's a very, very low risk to the United States. But it's something that we as public health officials need to take very seriously.

It isn't something that the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about because we have ways of preparing, of screening people coming in, and we have way of responding like we did with this one case in Seattle, Washington, who had traveled to China and brought back the infection.

It does not seem to be as efficient in the persistent, sustained transmission from human to human. Without a doubt, it can travel from one human to another, but it doesn't seem yet to be doing that as efficiently - certainly not like influenza which spreads very efficiently in a sustained way. This does not do so, which means that just like SARS, we have the possibility, with good public health measures, of hopefully getting control of this.
https://soundcloud.com/john-catsimatidi ... ci-1-26-20

Listening to that interview, on the whole, my takeaways as to what the prevailing wisdom was at the time among health officials in the United States was as follows:

-The virus can be contained and won't be a major threat to the US.
-It is less contagious than the seasonal flu
-Public health officials need to take it seriously, but we're generally prepared right now to contain it.

Looks to me like Dr. Fauci was outright wrong on 2 critical points. Kinda hard to say Trump should have done a lot more at this time, like enact social distancing guidelines, when his top health adviser was probably telling him (unless he lied and downplayed it on that interview but said something very different behind closed doors) this isn't a big deal - that it is a "low, low risk" to the United States as it isn't very contagious.

TC Shuts Up

Re: Dr. Fauci in January: the virus is a "very, very low risk to the United States"

Post by TC Shuts Up » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:09 am

I don't know why Fauci is still there. He is insubordinate. There are 1.1 million medical doctors in the United States. How did we get a Hillary operative, as proven by his love letters to her, of all people? A leopard can't change its spots. And how can he keep changing his tune without consequence?

We have been lied to over and over and over by China about this, and thousands of other things. They are less trustworthy than the Soviet Union ever was. And yet Democrats are loyal to their party but not their country. They defend China against so called "racist" proclamations like telling the truth about the origin of the virus. China controlled North Vietnam and continues to control Vietnam. This will soon have killed more people in the US than the Vietnam War. This is a war on the US and on most of the rest of the world.
Last edited by TC Shuts Up on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Deleted User 13307

Re: Dr. Fauci in January: the virus is a "very, very low risk to the United States"

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:20 am

The biggest single mistake that has been made in this pandemic? Trusting China.

Both Fauci and Birx have admitted they based their initial outlooks on what would happen in North America with this virus based on the information they were receiving from China.

Even the math people were completely fooled based on the case numbers and deaths from Wuhan (that are still being used today!).

The spread and information coming from Italy was the wake up call -- and by then it was too late.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:21 pm

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:09 am
I don't know why Fauci is still there. He is insubordinate. There are 1.1 million medical doctors in the United States. How did we get a Hillary operative, as proven by his love letters to her, of all people? A leopard can't change its spots. And how can he keep changing his tune without consequence?

We have been lied to over and over and over by China about this, and thousands of other things. They are less trustworthy than the Soviet Union ever was. And yet Democrats are loyal to their party but not their country. They defend China against so called "racist" proclamations like telling the truth about the origin of the virus. China controlled North Vietnam and continues to control Vietnam. This will soon have killed more people in the US than the Vietnam War. This is a war on the US and on most of the rest of the world.
This isn’t a dictatorship... he doesn’t have to be subordinate to anybody.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:13 pm

There's a substantial difference between an inaccurate prediction of the course of a natural event and outright fabricating facts in order to advance one's own agenda. It's really that simple.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:27 pm

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:09 am
I don't know why Fauci is still there. He is insubordinate. There are 1.1 million medical doctors in the United States. How did we get a Hillary operative, as proven by his love letters to her, of all people?
Dude, your tin foil hat is on way too tight.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:19 pm

I don't have any problem with what Fauci said back in Jan and him changing his tune over time as he (and we) learned more. No different than anyone else not lighting their hair on fire on Jan 1 when this first became a widely-known issue in China. Sure, there were indicators before that time, but not a lot of good data. It all really started to evolve in February.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:25 pm

km1125 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:19 pm
I don't have any problem with what Fauci said back in Jan and him changing his tune over time as he (and we) learned more. No different than anyone else not lighting their hair on fire on Jan 1 when this first became a widely-known issue in China. Sure, there were indicators before that time, but not a lot of good data. It all really started to evolve in February.
And the S.S. Trump began to tack hard to port around March 10th...

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:02 am

To be clear - I don't take issue with him being wrong at the time. My issue is specifically with the Monday-morning (quite literally) quaterbacking that is suddenly going on with regard to what Trump did or didn't do months ago.

If the goal was to not overburden our hospitals.....with only a few exceptions, it sure looks to me like Mission Accomplished. With a virus this contagious, you don't want to slow it down too much as doing so only delays the inevitable; rather, you want to slow it down just enough. And it appears to me that we did that.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:23 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:02 am
To be clear - I don't take issue with him being wrong at the time. My issue is specifically with the Monday-morning (quite literally) quaterbacking that is suddenly going on with regard to what Trump did or didn't do months ago.

If the goal was to not overburden our hospitals.....with only a few exceptions, it sure looks to me like Mission Accomplished. With a virus this contagious, you don't want to slow it down too much as doing so only delays the inevitable; rather, you want to slow it down just enough. And it appears to me that we did that.
Slowing it down as much as you can spreads the patient arrival times at a hospital as much as possible and would make it far less to worry about. It also might keep us locked down forever on the flip side.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:58 am

Hell, Fauci was downplaying contagion and impact risks as recently as late February / early March! Listen to his remarks during one of the early COVID-19 press conferences that I believe was held on either a Saturday or Sunday. (The press conference occurred around the same time certain mainstream media outlets were accusing Trump of "muzzling" Fauci.)
The spread and information coming from Italy was the wake up call -- and by then it was too late.
I certainly think there is a lot of merit to the above statement.

Here's a good read regarding China's conduct:
https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morn ... ting-lies/
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:36 am

China's conduct is criminal.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:21 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:23 am
Slowing it down as much as you can spreads the patient arrival times at a hospital as much as possible and would make it far less to worry about. It also might keep us locked down forever on the flip side.
And that was my point. Once we knew the following:
-that the virus could not be contained (there were hopes of containment as late as mid-February from what I can recall)
-that the virus was extremely contagious (according to Fauci we apparently didn't know this as of Jan 26)
-the hospitalization rate (I think we knew that fairly early on)
-that a vaccine was 14 months off or more (I think we knew that very early on)

...it should have become crystal clear that herd immunity was (and I still believe is) the only sustainable solution. Then it is a matter of getting to that solution as soon as possible without overburdening the hospitals. Even the graphics that I saw last month of the flattened-vs-unflattened curve shows the flattened curve rising right up to hospital capacity.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:36 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:21 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:23 am
And that was my point. Once we knew the following:
-that the virus could not be contained (there were hopes of containment as late as mid-February from what I can recall)
-that the virus was extremely contagious (according to Fauci we apparently didn't know this as of Jan 26)
-the hospitalization rate (I think we knew that fairly early on)
-that a vaccine was 14 months off or more (I think we knew that very early on)

...it should have become crystal clear that herd immunity was (and I still believe is) the only sustainable solution. Then it is a matter of getting to that solution as soon as possible without overburdening the hospitals. Even the graphics that I saw last month of the flattened-vs-unflattened curve shows the flattened curve rising right up to hospital capacity.
And in several cases we got that capacity met even after doing away with all non-emergency procedures...

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:05 am

Here’s the bottom line:

Doctor Fauci had no idea that the USA early RESPONSE to contain (January) would be dangerously inadequate due to the inexcusable USA testing debacle.

Politician Trump also had no idea that the USA early RESPONSE to contain (January) would be inadequate due to the inexcusable testing debacle. (Just as he could care less about most things - beyond himself.)

The testing debacle is part of the LARGER containment supplies stockpile disaster. Not enough: workable/usable test kits, assigned labs, masks, gloves, gowns, face shields, hospital beds, ICU beds, ventilators, etc.

Had the USA pandemic response team still been operational and at full staff - they would have quickly/correctly taken inventory of all these supplies (December/January). BUT THEY HAD BEEN DISBANDED BY TRUMP AFTER THE FIRST YEAR OF HIS PRESIDENCY IN HIS ZEAL TO RID THE GOVERNMENT OF ANYTHING OBAMA. SUCH AS OBAMACARE and ADEQUATE CDC FUNDING, etc.

All of this was made even deadlier by Trump/Kushner prioritizing TRUMP REELECTION/BULLISH STOCKMARKET BRAG over your safety.

Doctors Fauci/Birx had no idea that political concerns would supersede health concerns. And no idea about the inexcusable and looming containment supplies stockpile disaster which included numbers of workable/usable tests.

This shit show is all Donald Trump and his conned voters - who placed King Turd - ABSOLUTE AUTHORITY! - in power. A mentally ill nincompoop who continues to display the CLASSIC symotoms of his Narcissistic Personality Disorder hourly. Especially at those daily briefings and in his tweet tirades.

As I’ve said many times here over the years - those symptoms (words/behaviors) will cause him to destroy you and your loved ones should we ever face a true national emergency.

Welcome to the emergency.
Last edited by screen glare on Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic