Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Political correctness

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Turkeytop

Re: Political correctness

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:57 pm

Hey. You're like a bull in a covid 19 shop.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:30 pm

So instead of a "Chink," is the correct insult now to call someone a "Cove" ?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:14 pm

Covid Checkers?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:38 pm

I'm old enough to remember a time when people on the left threw a shit fit over calling french fries freedom fries.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:49 pm

I remember a time when some people on the right threw a shit fit over the name "french fries."

Ebola, SARS, and H1N1 were not named after their "country of origin." SARS, ironically, originated in China, *and* it was a form of coronavirus to boot!

I guess LL 101 you are proposing that SARS should've been called Chinese Respiratory Syndrome A and COVID-19 should've been called Chinese Respiratory Syndrome B?

In all honesty, who gives a fuck. The name assigned to the virus is the least of my worries. If "China" or "Chinese" were included in the name, I would have no issue. I also have no issue with excluding "China" or "Chinese" from the name.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:39 pm

Main issue?

When Trump voters kill, injure an Asian-appearing American.

MAGA, Baby!

Make America Gunslingers Again.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:36 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:49 pm
I remember a time when some people on the right threw a shit fit over the name "french fries."

Ebola, SARS, and H1N1 were not named after their "country of origin." SARS, ironically, originated in China, *and* it was a form of coronavirus to boot!

I guess LL 101 you are proposing that SARS should've been called Chinese Respiratory Syndrome A and COVID-19 should've been called Chinese Respiratory Syndrome B?

In all honesty, who gives a fuck. The name assigned to the virus is the least of my worries. If "China" or "Chinese" were included in the name, I would have no issue. I also have no issue with excluding "China" or "Chinese" from the name.
I remember a time there was Spanish flu... it originated at a military base in... Kansas.

They named it that because somebody somewhere for whatever reason figured that Spaniards were immune... so the most famous example isn’t even named for the country of origin...

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:02 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:36 pm
I remember a time there was Spanish flu... it originated at a military base in... Kansas.

They named it that because somebody somewhere for whatever reason figured that Spaniards were immune... so the most famous example isn’t even named for the country of origin...
I don't think any of that has been established as fact.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

Well, other than it's needlessly inflammatory.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:17 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:02 pm
Rate This wrote:

Actually it has...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas ... 80539.html

Or if you prefer something scholarly here’s a mountain of evidence pointing to Kansas:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC340389/

I will correct myself on the second part, the outbreaks severity was censored in several places including the US.. however Spain was neutral and its media were free to report on it in all its gory details and so it appeared worse there than elsewhere. It didn’t originate there however.
Last edited by Rate This on Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:17 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:14 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

Well, other than it's needlessly inflammatory.
There have already been several hate crimes against Asian folks because of it too...

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:16 am

Rate This wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:17 pm
km1125 wrote:
Rate This wrote:

Actually it has...

Or if you prefer something scholarly here’s a mountain of evidence pointing to Kansas:

I will correct myself on the second part, the outbreaks severity was censored in several places including the US.. however Spain was neutral and its media were free to report on it in all its gory details and so it appeared worse there than elsewhere. It didn’t originate there however.
Definitely not fact just because somebody from the Wichita Eagle wrote and article. There are a lot of theories on where it came from and how it started. Kansas is just one.

The other link even includes these statements: "It has never been clear, however, where this pandemic began. Since influenza is an endemic disease, not simply an epidemic one, it is impossible to answer this question with absolute certainty"

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57 am

km1125 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:16 am
Rate This wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:17 pm
km1125 wrote:
Rate This wrote:

Actually it has...

Definitely not fact just because somebody from the Wichita Eagle wrote and article. There are a lot of theories on where it came from and how it started. Kansas is just one.

The other link even includes these statements: "It has never been clear, however, where this pandemic began. Since influenza is an endemic disease, not simply an epidemic one, it is impossible to answer this question with absolute certainty"
The author of the article goes on to make an extremely strong case for Kansas as the epicenter, debunking other locations backed up by evidence.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic