Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
matt1

Re: On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Post by matt1 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:54 am

Eastern Michigan University has it!!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:18 am

Not an official position, this was updated yesterday:
https://www.emich.edu/uhs/coronavirus/index.php
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:28 am

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:27 pm

Let's see, the AIDS scare, Ebola, SARS, Swine Flu, I know I am missing at least one....same hype, different chapter...live your life. If it is going to infect you, it's going to. The majority of deaths were of those who had other issues like immune systems not up to snuff or live in 3rd world conditions, other medical issues. Young people seem to not be affected and the majority who have been say it is like a really pissy cold or flu ad in three or four days they are back to normal....so maybe a 1 at most.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:39 pm

zzand wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:27 pm
Let's see, the AIDS scare, Ebola, SARS, Swine Flu, I know I am missing at least one....same hype, different chapter...live your life. If it is going to infect you, it's going to. The majority of deaths were of those who had other issues like immune systems not up to snuff or live in 3rd world conditions, other medical issues. Young people seem to not be affected and the majority who have been say it is like a really pissy cold or flu ad in three or four days they are back to normal....so maybe a 1 at most.
This. I’d rather get it and add it to my immunity wall...

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:13 pm

The Asian flu killed 2 million people worldwide in one season - 1957-1958.

The Hong Kong flu killed another million eleven years later - 1968-1969.

It is not like that is ancient history either - those were both in relatively modern times. The latter killed roughly 100,000 Americans.

There have been pandemics in the past. There will be pandemics in the future. The only thing that really makes this particular one unique is the 24/7 cable news and social media cycle.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:51 pm

Was running errands listening to talk radio and a weekend local host was going on and on about everyone needs to go out today and buy their two weeks of supplies, running down what you need to buy and basically talking end of times. First caller he took told him he should just move on the something else since he was feeding the panic fire and was basically full of shit...Best laugh I have had in a while.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:51 pm

zzand wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:51 pm
Was running errands listening to talk radio and a weekend local host was going on and on about everyone needs to go out today and buy their two weeks of supplies, running down what you need to buy and basically talking end of times. First caller he took told him he should just move on the something else since he was feeding the panic fire and was basically full of shit...Best laugh I have had in a while.
Ouch.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:31 pm
Even if we are to assume the actual number of persons sick with coronavirus in China is 10x the actual reported number, that still means less than 1 in 50,000 Chinese residents have contracted the illness!

So, we are talking less than 0.002% of the population of China, even if the true figure of infected persons is 10x than the latest "official" figure!

The Chinese government loves the fact the U.S. media is willing to spread hype & hysteria over what so far has proven to be a fake epidemic. I'm sure the leaders in Beijing would love nothing more than for the U.S. stock market to take a dive thanks to the fake news they've helped peddle!
What?? Do you mean deaths, or just folks who have contracted it? They've acknowledged over 80,000 folks have contracted it, so 10x that would be 800,000. It would be around .005% right now, and .05% if it was 10x

But I agree that it's a very small percentage in either case.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:14 pm

I'm bumping up my concern score a few notches. To point, serious consideration of cancelling a trip to Florida next week. It wasn't necessary travel (just seeing some old Michigan friends) and this morning's 'Sunday Shows' appearances from Anthony Fauci seemed like he was offering a more nuanced warning than what TrumpCo is putting forth. I put more credence in his take than that of Trump* who said "Does anybody die from the flu? I didn’t know people died from the flu."

Footnote: Donald Trump's grandfather Frederick Trump died of the Spanish Flu during the epidemic of 1918

I guess the disclaimer would be he never knew his Grandfather...

Oh and by the way, thankfully we have news organizations that allow information outside of the current administration to be disseminated freely.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:15 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:14 pm
I'm bumping up my concern score a few notches. To point, serious consideration of cancelling a trip to Florida next week. It wasn't necessary travel (just seeing some old Michigan friends) and this morning's 'Sunday Shows' appearances from Anthony Fauci seemed like he was offering a more nuanced warning than what TrumpCo is putting forth. I put more credence in his take than that of Trump* who said "Does anybody die from the flu? I didn’t know people died from the flu."

Footnote: Donald Trump's grandfather Frederick Trump died of the Spanish Flu during the epidemic of 1918

I guess the disclaimer would be he never knew his Grandfather...

Oh and by the way, thankfully we have news organizations that allow information outside of the current administration to be disseminated freely.
Trump’s response is so disjointed and none of the government officials are on the same page... it’s a joke. This is supposed to be a great manager? Are you kidding?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:45 am

Dow fell 1800 (7%) at the open and trading has been automatically halted. Oil is sitting at $32-$35 a barrel depending on which of the futures you look at... the feds .5% rate cut appears to have done nothing to calm anybody down...

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:52 am

I do think that after this morning's sharp drop that the market is in oversold territory. I'm VERY tempted to get back in but so long as this is a news-driven stock market, it is probably best to still sit out.

As to the pandemic itself - Europe right now is getting hit much harder than the US. Total cases there now exceed 10,000 while the United States sits around 5 percent of that number despite having roughly half the population. In other words, it is now 10x worse in Europe than here per-capita. Also note-worthy is that at least according to official numbers, the number of new daily cases in China is down 92% compared to just last week with new cases per day less than 50.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:56 am

We are not testing in near the numbers of other countries which accounts for our"low" numbers.
The censorship king from out of state.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:00 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:52 am
I do think that after this morning's sharp drop that the market is in oversold territory. I'm VERY tempted to get back in but so long as this is a news-driven stock market, it is probably best to still sit out.

As to the pandemic itself - Europe right now is getting hit much harder than the US. Total cases there now exceed 10,000 while the United States sits around 5 percent of that number despite having roughly half the population. In other words, it is now 10x worse in Europe than here per-capita. Also note-worthy is that at least according to official numbers, the number of new daily cases in China is down 92% compared to just last week with new cases per day less than 50.
Down about 2000 to end the day... if it goes much below 20,000 Trump will start to feel it bigly in his numbers...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic