Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Post by bmw » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:53 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:38 pm
This will be Trump*'s "Black Swan" event. I still maintain, as I did some months ago, he'll use it to postpone or suspend the fall elections if the outbreak is widespread AND he's well behind in polling for re-election.
Define "well behind." Without a clear definition, when you're wrong, the vagueness of this criteria this will be your easy out for claiming you weren't actually wrong.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:03 pm

All this defense of the always indefensible mentally ill Trump is looking even more absurd in light of the fact that COVID-19 is coming for us in a matter of weeks, folks.

Donald Trump in 2018 pitifully and stupidly did away with the experts and programs to keep us on track in the US for a life threatening disease pandemic defense. Research? No! Enough Supplies, equipment, facilities? No! What President Obama learned could have happened re Ebola - which luckily WAS able to be contained - dumbass Donald did NOT learn. Obama = smart, caring. Trump = harebrained, selfishly uncaring.

We are now caught unprepared and flat footed. Watch C-span coverage of our Health and Human Services Trump cabinet secretary appointment - at today’s Congressional hearing (Tuesday 2/25). Alex Azar is an arrogant ass. Just like Trump.

Thanks to Trump we have chaos in the lead. No more long term preparedness. No well-educated expertise in critical positions. All Trump loyalists. Bullshitters all.

Get ready for Trump to sequester himself and only appear publicly from his secure facility where he and his family are sealed. He doesn’t give a damn about you, your family, or whether millions suffer and die. As long as he’s protected AND in power.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:48 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:53 pm
This will be Trump*'s "Black Swan" event. I still maintain, as I did some months ago, he'll use it to postpone or suspend the fall elections if the outbreak is widespread AND he's well behind in polling for re-election.
Define "well behind." Without a clear definition, when you're wrong, the vagueness of this criteria this will be your easy out for claiming you weren't actually wrong.
Any polling that puts him 5 or more behind is well behind. Any polling that goes 7-8 or more is blowout territory. I’m gonna wait and see if you get why I say that.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:43 pm

What we are seeing was explained in the book The Fifth Risk. The many departments in the Fed. Gov. set up sessions to explain how the government works to the incoming Administration and NO BODY SHOWED UP! If there was an individual that did showed total ignorance and no interest.
When the man named to head the Commerce Dept. knows nothing about the dept. and asks, "What the hell is NOAA and why do they get so much money?"
That's when you know it's going to be a bumpy ride...

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:48 pm
bmw wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:53 pm
Any polling that puts him 5 or more behind is well behind. Any polling that goes 7-8 or more is blowout territory. I’m gonna wait and see if you get why I say that.
Frankly the outbreak wouldn't necessarily have to be wide spread or Trump* "well behind". Parscale knows exactly which district's Trump absolutely needs. Shut down or postpone voting in a few precincts that are breaking bad for a few weeks and *poof*. Scranton & Wilkes-Barre in Pennsylvania, the 2nd in Nebraska, a couple of lazer shots in Wisconsin & Ohio... you get the idea. Easy to sell. "USA Today reports DHS recommends voting be postponed in selected cites in Florida out of an abundance of caution over the Coronavirus". You think most American's are going to give a rat's ass about that after they've seen their 401-k's crapping the bed like it has the past couple of days?

Why wouldn't he? Pretty binary outcome. Trump* wins, he continues his ways unabated. Trump* loses, he spends the remainder of his life and a good chunk of his fortune fighting off lawsuits and criminal charges. This ain't rocket science kids...

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:52 pm

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:30 pm
Why wouldn't he?
Is that a serious question? Is this a serious theory? This one is pretty far out there in left field, even for you.

Your theory is depending on a razor-thin margin in a few specific states - in which case, why would Trump be stupid enough (morals aside) to pull such a stunt when he might win anyways? Moreover, if he loses a razor-close election, he'll just spending the next 4 years campaigning to run again in 2024.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:45 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:52 pm
Why wouldn't he?
Is that a serious question? Is this a serious theory? This one is pretty far out there in left field, even for you.

Your theory is depending on a razor-thin margin in a few specific states - in which case, why would Trump be stupid enough (morals aside) to pull such a stunt when he might win anyways? Moreover, if he loses a razor-close election, he'll just spending the next 4 years campaigning to run again in 2024.
Do we even have a mechanism for postponing or delaying the election?

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:58 pm

No, we don't. Not to mention there are both state laws and federal laws in play, and I'm sure any local municipalities would make a royal stink over such a threat. Executive order maybe? Even in this absurd scenario, I have to believe that a federal court, perhaps even the SCOTUS, would overturn any such efforts in very short order.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:40 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:45 pm
bmw wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:52 pm
Why wouldn't he?

Do we even have a mechanism for postponing or delaying the election?
I would think issuing a quarantine and curfew would have the same net effect. I'm sure deep in the statutes a public health shutdown of everyone and everything is a tool that can be deployed. All the easier if that order comes from the White House.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:03 am

Media reporting on the Coronavirus over the past 48 hours has really gotten out of hand as the coverage is now in full-blown doom-and-gloom panic. Some of today's headlines:

CNN - "The coronavirus goes global: Travel bans, face masks, and fear"

FORBES - "Coronavirus is out of control. Our fear of it is not"

NEW YORK TIMES - "Fear and Face Masks on the Front Row""

WASHINGTON POST - "Mike Pence was criticized for his handling of Indiana?s HIV outbreak. He will lead the U.S. coronavirus response"

NEW YORK TIMES - "Coronavirus Live Updates: New Cases Light Up the Map"

Those headlines are all designed with one purpose and only one purpose in mind - stoke panic and fear. Why? Two reasons. Number one, it works as good clickbait. And number 2 - for the reason I stated in this forum over a year ago - the media is ROOTING for a recession. And these headlines are having a significant impact on the stock market. Investors read the news every day and this is what they see.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:55 pm

I'm going to raise my coronavirius fear score from a few weeks ago.

I answered that question at the time with physical health in mind.

Now, it's my FINANCIAL health at stake! Haven't checked my 401K, but my IRA and general brokerage account balances are now down about 11 percent from their all time highs, which were reached the middle of last week.

For anyone with a big home mortgage balance - now is definitely the time to refinance. 30 year fixed rates for people with good credit are around 3.5% right now.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:06 pm

This is probably the most informative piece Ive read with no bias: https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-we-kn ... mgj_1R8mD4

The censorship king from out of state.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Don't worry about it. Your President says it will be all over in a few days.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:29 pm

The word seems to be that it affects older folks much worse than the young.
Here's a Q'non type of thinking... It can cull the aging Medicare hurd to save money!

Just a theory after moderate to heavy drinking......

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:27 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:29 pm
The word seems to be that it affects older folks much worse than the young.
Here's a Q'non type of thinking... It can cull the aging Medicare hurd to save money!

Just a theory after moderate to heavy drinking......
Sure, why not? It's at least as valid as claiming it's all the media's fault...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic