Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Need Some Help Understanding

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 12047

Need Some Help Understanding

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 am

Recently, the President made a pretty big deal about... water pressure, faucets and toilets.
In reporting something the President said, a news source wrote:"But sinks, toilets and showers. You don't get any water... But how about the shower? You go into a shower, and I have this beautiful head of hair. I need a lot of water. You go into the shower, right? You turn on the water. Drip, drip, drip. I call the guy, something wrong with this? No, sir. It's just the restrictor. ... there's zero pressure behind it, no water. You go like that the thing flips on and whoa. And then dunk, dunk. These people are crazy."
Can someone explain this to me? I live in a fairly new condo and have no problems with water pressure anywhere. Is this a thing? Is this something to campaign on? I don't know, which is why I am asking.

Honeyman

Re: Need Some Help Understanding

Post by Honeyman » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:06 am

Our "President" is fucking insane.

The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:55 am

While he didn't reference it by name, Trump is referring to the Energy Policy Act of 1992 (re: toilet water restrictions) and multiple regulations passed by the federal government passed between 1992 and 2013 (re: dishwashers).

Regarding toilets, the Energy Policy Act of 1992 limited toilet flushes to 1.6 gallons per flush, down from the average of 3 to 5 gallons prior. I guess I haven't paid much attention to how well various toilets I have used throughout my life actually work, so I can't speak to whether older toilets actually flush better. My toilet was made in 1980 and works fine to this day and I'm sure uses well over 1.6 gallons of water. From a purely libertarian point of view, I don't think it is any of the government's business how much water a specific household appliance uses.

As to dishwashers, I found this neat little graphic:

I've never owned a dishwasher, so again, I can't personally comment. But there does appear to be evidence that less water at a bare minimum at least means significantly longer washing times. And btw - this is something the Trump administration has been proposing to change going back to mid-summer. Again, shouldn't be any of the government's damn business how much water a household appliance actually uses.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:32 am

Explanatory note:

Donald JOHN Trump is crazy. Toilet kind o’ guy. Flush focused.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:55 am
While he didn't reference it by name, Trump is referring to the Energy Policy Act of 1992 (re: toilet water restrictions) and multiple regulations passed by the federal government passed between 1992 and 2013 (re: dishwashers).

Regarding toilets, the Energy Policy Act of 1992 limited toilet flushes to 1.6 gallons per flush, down from the average of 3 to 5 gallons prior. I guess I haven't paid much attention to how well various toilets I have used throughout my life actually work, so I can't speak to whether older toilets actually flush better. My toilet was made in 1980 and works fine to this day and I'm sure uses well over 1.6 gallons of water. From a purely libertarian point of view, I don't think it is any of the government's business how much water a specific household appliance uses.

As to dishwashers, I found this neat little graphic:

I've never owned a dishwasher, so again, I can't personally comment. But there does appear to be evidence that less water at a bare minimum at least means significantly longer washing times. And btw - this is something the Trump administration has been proposing to change going back to mid-summer. Again, shouldn't be any of the government's damn business how much water a household appliance actually uses.
Why are we trying to undo standards that SAVE money? The same goes with the more efficient light bulbs as standard. He wants to bring incandescents back. LED lighting is superior in every way and it’s cheaper. Why go back?

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:40 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm
Why are we trying to undo standards that SAVE money? The same goes with the more efficient light bulbs as standard. He wants to bring incandescents back. LED lighting is superior in every way and it’s cheaper. Why go back?
You're totally missing the point. If LED lighting is superior in every way including price, then why is a government mandate banning the allegedly inferior product necessary? Moreover, it absolutely is not the role of the federal government to save people money by force.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:26 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:40 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm
You're totally missing the point. If LED lighting is superior in every way including price, then why is a government mandate banning the allegedly inferior product necessary? Moreover, it absolutely is not the role of the federal government to save people money by force.
My point would be that getting rid of the mandate after everybody is used to the superior product which was honed and developed further as a result and now works better than what was banned is pointless. Industry and the public don’t want incandescent bulbs now that they have savings from the LED’s... the pragmatic thing is to leave it alone if it’s working... this is actually an example of a successful government initiative.

As for the toilets.. the old ones are easier to clog than the new ones it seems...

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:01 pm

Didn't Ask this old house cover the toilet thing some time back? I think I remember them talking about the 1st gen. low flow had problems but better engineering has smoothed out the flow so to say.
Maybe the problem is that some folks are more full of shit than others.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:53 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:01 pm
Didn't Ask this old house cover the toilet thing some time back? I think I remember them talking about the 1st gen. low flow had problems but better engineering has smoothed out the flow so to say.
Maybe the problem is that some folks are more full of shit than others.
Ouch... ouch...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:36 am

I have a new toilet and an old toilet in my house. My 3-9 year old grankids can clog either of them with relative ease.

I no longer directly engage trolls

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:38 am

This conversation has went to the toilet. LOL

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:12 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:26 pm
Industry and the public don’t want incandescent bulbs now that they have savings from the LED’s... the pragmatic thing is to leave it alone if it’s working... this is actually an example of a successful government initiative.
Ok - so the initiative worked, in your view. What is the point of having it NOW if what you say is true? You say getting rid of the initiative is pointless. However, based on your own logic, keeping it in place is also pointless. In that case, I err on the side of less government regulation.

Moreover, all I am saying is that if a small niche percentage of population wants a power-hungry incandescent bulb or a water-guzzling dish washer or toilet, let the free market decide. If there's enough demand, someone will produce these things. And since the group of people who want these things will always remain small, it's not like the sale of a small number of these items will destroy the environment via higher energy consumption.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Did the dishwasher standards cause a loss of American jobs? Probably a boon to foreign makes.

Maytag made a screamingly good dishwasher. ABC warehouse had one in plastic box and that sold me. It looked like a friggin' hurricane inside it. Of course it's no longer made.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic