Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Eddie Murphy on "SNL"

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
matt1

Eddie Murphy on "SNL"

Post by matt1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:51 am

For the first time since April 14, 1984, Eddie Murphy made his comeback return on "Saturday Night Live". On the "Weekend Update" sketch, Eddie did "Gumby"!! In the Food Network sketch "baking a cake", I thought I heard Eddie said "SHIT" at the end of the sketch!! The "Jeopardy" sketch was great too!!

matt1

Re: Eddie Murphy on "SNL"

Post by matt1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:18 am

At the 4:21 mark BUT NBC blocked what Eddie said!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tebBj42fC3k

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:39 am

Two Words: Velvet Jones

I have honestly not seen that program to the end since the mid-'90s. That was amazing.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:38 pm

Excellent episode, hands down best of the season thus far. If you're on Netflix be sure and have a look at "Dolemite Is My Name". It's really kinda of a sweet film, albeit crude at times.

I was mighty impressed with that "Million Dollar Quartet" of comedians appearing in the monologue, that was some firepower.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:48 pm

I'm not sure Eddie Murphy can save SNL from the politicin' trainwreck that it is.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm

TheForce wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:48 pm
I'm not sure Eddie Murphy can save SNL from the politicin' trainwreck that it is.
Well, political slant aside, that show desperately needs new writers.
The writing, no matter which way you politically lean, truly sucks.

And you think maybe, just maybe, they could practices some lines. The "oh so obvious" reading the teleprompter is getting downright distracting, and takes away from the jokes being nearly as funny, at least to me.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:13 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm
TheForce wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:48 pm
Well, political slant aside, that show desperately needs new writers.
The writing, no matter which way you politically lean, truly sucks.

And you think maybe, just maybe, they could practices some lines. The "oh so obvious" reading the teleprompter is getting downright distracting, and takes away from the jokes being nearly as funny, at least to me.
You are aware that the script changes right up to the 11:30 Eastern air-time often based on the full dress rehearsal that happens at 8:00. Lines are cut, added and entire bits change based on what happens at dress. That said, I'm sure Lorne Michaels would value your input on how the show he's produced for forty five years could have the writer's room run better as well as how to manage the cast.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:22 am

There isn't anything to save. And if Eddie Murphy had to save anything he did.
The show got big numbers. Almost 10 million viewers (9.921 miliion) and a 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demo. Those are better numbers then a lot of primetime.

That talk that the show isn't funny or needs better writing has been going on for over 30 years. Its almost expected that its not going to be all funny. But, the show is an icon and its not going anywhere soon.

Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood was my fav. Our word of the day, "Squatters Rights."

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:48 am

The political writings and skits have been quite stale for some time. Can't they come up with something a little more new and original? Does politics have to be interjected into every aspect of our lives? Can't one watch such a program to escape reality for a little bit without adding politics to it?
JackAttack FM wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:22 am
There isn't anything to save. And if Eddie Murphy had to save anything he did.
The show got big numbers. Almost 10 million viewers (9.921 miliion) and a 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demo. Those are better numbers then a lot of primetime.

That talk that the show isn't funny or needs better writing has been going on for over 30 years. Its almost expected that its not going to be all funny. But, the show is an icon and its not going anywhere soon.

Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood was my fav. Our word of the day, "Squatters Rights."

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:02 am

TheForce wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:48 am
Can't one watch such a program to escape reality for a little bit
I find that Hannity usually does the trick for this.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:34 am

TheForce wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:48 am
The political writings and skits have been quite stale for some time. Can't they come up with something a little more new and original? Does politics have to be interjected into every aspect of our lives? Can't one watch such a program to escape reality for a little bit without adding politics to it?
They do it because it's lazy writing. Think about it. How easy is it to just put people down?
I don't know about you, but I know I can get a laugh from other people by putting politicians down.
Anyone can do it. It's an easy laugh that you, me and any lazy writer can do.

Anyone that says SNL has gotten stale is correct.
Think back to the great skits and characters that SNL has had thru the years. The ones you remember 20-30 years later.
It's not getting cheap laughs impersonating a political figure.
I think back to Mike Myers and Dana Carvery and the Wayne's World skits, Eddie Murphy as Velvet Jones, the many characters of Belushi, Ackroyd and Chase. Gilda Radner. Laraine Newman. Chris Rock and Chris Farley. All playing great characters, and great writing. They were spending the week working on it. Making it the kind of stuff we remember.

Who's going to remember the swill that SNL kicks out now? "On the fly" scripts like Lester the Nightly talks about, where the staff at SNL is waiting for the 11 o'clock news to tell them what to write. Be honest. Isn't that basically what most of the show is now? Just an extension of the Nightly News? The kind of stuff that's going to be forgotten after the next news cycle.

And the same laziness has extended into Late Night. Colbert. Kimmel. And Fallon more and more lately. Get out front, put someone down all night. Go sit down.
You didn't see that sort of thing with Letterman, Leno, Carson. Their whole monologue wasn't putting people down.
It's lazy writing, Lester. Pure and simple.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:28 am

Glad you brought that up about the late night shows. They are just as bad, if not worse than SNL. First thing out of their mouths..today President Trump this or that. Extremely lazy writing. I stopped watching late shows after Letterman and Leno were gone. After that I'd only tune in if there were a guest I wanted to see.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:16 pm

I'm in the same boat. The current crop of late night hosts pales in comparison to Letterman, Leno, and even Jon Stewart (though I have to admit that I do occasionally tune in to Trevor Noah and sometime's he's funny). Colbert is the absolute worst of the group and Kimmel isn't that far behind (which is a shame because I enjoyed Kimmel back during his days on Win Ben Stein's money and even during his brief stint for Fox doing NFL picks).

I know that Johnny Carson fans feel the say way about Carson vs. Leno/Letterman, but I think it is a little bit different this time around. Much of today's late night comedy isn't even comedy anymore - it is political activism disguised as comedy - and even then, sometimes the hosts don't even pretend to be doing comedy; they just come right out and give their political opinions and that's it.

As to Eddie Murphy - his Sonic the Hedgehog cake and the way he talked about it were hilarious :lol

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:45 pm

As always, threads on SNL & late night television in general never fail to crack me up. The grievances are always the same and can be remedied in two sure-fire ways:

A) Pitch production of a program of your liking to the your network of choice. The names and numbers of network development teams are all in the phone book. Show you have financing, hire the talent required to produced the product, have an audience and demonstrate you can make the broadcaster money from your idea. Do that and you too can an hour of regularly scheduled time to do as you please.

B) Avail yourself of the remote control and simply don't watch something you seemingly find so objectionable that you're willing to vehemently criticize to anyone who might have the notion (or often misfortune) to listen. Unless you're on the payroll, your attendance is not mandatory.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:40 pm

Finally. One SNL that was actually funny. Take away Pete Davidson and it would have been funny every minute.

Eddie Murphy as host and sketch actor did the trick. Thank goodness for Gumby, Mr. Robinson, and Buckwheat.

And Jeanine Pirro of Fox News infamy playing herself was especially a friggin’ treat. What a ditz of bitchin’ bitch.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic