Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Put A Fork In It...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: Put A Fork In It...

Post by bmw » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:07 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:50 pm
Let me repeat that again. And again, this is a direct quote from Joe Biden himself:
"if the prosecutor is not fired, you're not getting the money."
Biden was stating the position of the U.S. government.
As stated by whom exactly?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Joe Biden played a role in pushing out Ukraine’s prosecutor general

The part of the story that involves Joe Biden directly centers on the ouster of Ukraine’s prosecutor general, Viktor Shokin.

In February 2015, Shokin became Ukraine’s prosecutor general, and promised critics of his country’s anti-corruption efforts at home, in the US, and at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) that a clean-up was on the way. And he claimed Burisma was in his sights.

But Shokin’s deputy, Vitaly Kasko, told Bloomberg that the promise was empty rhetoric. According to Kasko, their office did nothing to pursue its investigation into Zlochevsky throughout 2015, and the office was ineffective at reining in corruption generally, leading him to resign in frustration.

Shokin has disputed Kasko’s narrative, but the manner in which he was running his office also concerned the US ambassador to Ukraine, who said publicly in September 2015 that the office was “subverting” the UK’s investigation.

Concern at the embassy mounted, and by 2016, officials there began suggesting the Obama administration push for the prosecutor general’s ouster. In particular, the embassy suggested that $1 billion in loan guarantees the country hoped to receive from the US in order to stay solvent should be tied to a tougher anti-corruption strategy that involved removing officials seen as blocking progress, namely Shokin.

It wasn’t just the US that wanted Shokin gone, either — many other Western European officials, including the IMF’s then-managing director Christine Lagarde, also insisted Ukraine was doing far too little about corruption.

So in March 2016, Biden says he told the Ukrainian government that their loan guarantees would be cut off unless they removed Shokin. He told the story at a session at the Council on Foreign Relations in 2018.

“I said, ‘You’re not getting the billion.’ I’m going to be leaving here in, I think it was about six hours,” Biden told his audience. “I looked at them and said: ‘I’m leaving in six hours. If the prosecutor is not fired, you’re not getting the money.’”

The former vice president said after the threat, “Well, son of a bitch, he got fired. And they put in place someone who was solid at the time.”

But though Biden may have taken credit for it, this was hardly his unique idea. “Everyone in the Western community wanted Shokin sacked,” Anders Aslund, a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council, told the Wall Street Journal. “The whole G-7, the IMF, the EBRD, everybody was united that Shokin must go, and the spokesman for this was Joe Biden.”

The people of Ukraine wanted Shokin gone as well, and demonstrated for his removal around the time of Biden’s threat. Shortly after that demonstration, Shokin was dismissed.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... -complaint

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:52 pm

Turkeytop wrote:

And, who pray tell sets foreign policy that becomes the "position of the US government?"

Can give a hint or two if ya like.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:30 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:52 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

And, who pray tell sets foreign policy that becomes the "position of the US government?"

I can't claim any expertise as to how the U.S. is governed. But I don't expect the Vice President gets to determine foreign policy all on his own. My understanding is that you government has three co-equal branches.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:26 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:30 pm
Bryce wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:52 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

I can't claim any expertise as to how the U.S. is governed. But I don't expect the Vice President gets to determine foreign policy all on his own. My understanding is that you government has three co-equal branches.
The Executive Branch has by far the most power when setting foreign policy. The President is the head and some will say IS the Executive Branch.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:34 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:26 pm

The Executive Branch has by far the most power when setting foreign policy. The President is the head and some will say IS the Executive Branch.

So, how does that make Biden guilty of anything?

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:36 pm

Forget it, Turkeytop.

You’re arguing with folks who think it just fine that the current US president lies maniacally more than once a day - every day!
Thousands and thousands of lies! Which is why the thinking majority correctly does not trust anything about him.

That fact alone is enough to convince most normal people that it’s absurd to have Trump in any position of power. But the brainwashed of The Trump Cult are slaves to the propaganda power of Putin’s sophisticated persuasion operation, parroted by Trump on Twitter/TV, and neatly packaged by Fox News barkers: Sean, Laura, Janine, et al.

You will NEVER be able to convince them Trump endangers their country and the free world at large. They are as locked and cemented in their blind allegiance to the draft dodging/conman/mental patient as the followers were of Hitler, Jim Jones, and Father Coughlin.

As Trump stated during his campaign - he could shoot strangers on 5th avenue and nobody caught up in his charisma or salesmanship would object - or even care.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:38 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:34 pm
Bryce wrote:

The point being, if Biden isn't guilty, then neither is Trump.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:41 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:38 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:34 pm
Bryce wrote:

The point being, if Biden isn't guilty, then neither is Trump.
Except that Biden was going through normal diplomatic channels. Trump fired the diplomats and used his own personal attorney.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:14 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:41 am

Except that Biden was going through normal diplomatic channels. Trump fired the diplomats and used his own personal attorney.
As I tried to explain before, The President sets foreign policy, NOT diplomats. Based on our Constitution, the dissenting diplomats, i.e. "normal channels" are the ones who are at odds with official foreign policy,

Presidents all the way back to George Washington up and through Barrack Obama have used individuals not in the State Department to carry on back channel diplomacy. Bill Clinton used Jessie Jackson for God's sake.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:25 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:14 am
Turkeytop wrote:

As I tried to explain before, The President sets foreign policy, NOT diplomats. Based on our Constitution, the dissenting diplomats, i.e. "normal channels" are the ones who are at odds with official foreign policy,

Presidents all the way back to George Washington up and through Barrack Obama have used individuals not in the State Department to carry on back channel diplomacy. Bill Clinton used Jessie Jackson for God's sake.
So your nation's official foreign policy is to withhold funds that have been appropriated by congress in order to force an ally to open an investigation into a debunked conspiracy theory and to gin up a phony investigation of a domestic political rival.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:38 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:25 pm
Bryce wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:14 am
Turkeytop wrote:

So your nation's official foreign policy is to withhold funds that have been appropriated by congress in order to force an ally to open an investigation into a debunked conspiracy theory and to gin up a phony investigation of a domestic political rival.
That didn't happen. As much as the media would like you to believe it. It just didn't happen.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:32 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:38 pm

That didn't happen. As much as the media would like you to believe it. It just didn't happen.
All those witnesses last week were lying under oath?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:48 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:32 pm
Bryce wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:38 pm

All those witnesses last week were lying under oath?
I heard nary a witness say
withhold funds that have been appropriated by congress in order to force an ally to open an investigation into a debunked conspiracy theory and to gin up a phony investigation of a domestic political rival.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:35 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:48 am

I heard nary a witness say
withhold funds that have been appropriated by congress in order to force an ally to open an investigation into a debunked conspiracy theory and to gin up a phony investigation of a domestic political rival.
When I posted those words, I didn't purport it to be a quotation from any one witness. But, after hearing the totality of all their evidence, it's the only logical conclusion one could arrive at.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic