Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hatred Of The Elderly

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Shuts Up

Hatred Of The Elderly

Post by TC Shuts Up » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:33 pm

This is so horrible that the people responsible should be charged with a prima facie hate crime for horrible treatment of the elderly, along with the return of his property.

https://reason.com/2019/11/06/a-michiga ... e-profits/

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

TC Shuts Up

Re: Hatred Of The Elderly

Post by TC Shuts Up » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:21 pm

I don't expect much sympathy from radio people here, especially younger radio people, who seem to have nothing but contempt for the older demographic listener. This explains the lack of formats in the Detroit Area serving older demographics. They claim it's difficult to sell. Probably because they have a bad attitude toward older listeners and don't try very hard to sell advertising on those stations.
Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:43 pm

WRCJ, WOMC, WCSX, WDZH, WJR, WWJ and others all feature some programming that should be appealing to "older demographic listeners."

How old should they go? 75? 85?

Your angst is probably more properly directed toward the advertising community, not toward commercial radio.

I will say the Urban AC stations in town have abandoned older listeners more aggressively. For African Americans over the age of 60, the pickings on the AM/FM dial are extremely slim. (The fact Detroit lacks a Classic Soul station is rather sad.)

As for the man whose property was absurdly foreclosed upon for $8.41 in unpaid property taxes, I completely agree with you, TC Shuts Up. Nolan Finley of the Detroit News alluded to this same case some time ago. The article you shared is highly informative and I encourage everyone to read it. Thank you for sharing it.

Foreclosure law in Michigan needs to be reformed...bad. Frankly, I think the current statute is unconstitutional and ought to be overturned by the feds. Would be nice if an accomplished attorney would represent this man and bring suit against the State of Michigan and Oakland County in federal court.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:14 pm

I think it's a mistake for the radio industry to ignore mature listeners. Our generation grew up with radio. We enjoy radio when there's something worth listening to. The younger people are turning off radio in droves. Getting their music from various online platforms.

We are a generation that should be targeted by advertisers. Unlike the youthful audience they all chase after, we have money to spend. Most of us are debt free and have a steady income. We have time to for leisure.

Why aren't they reaching out to us, telling us what they have to sell us?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:23 pm

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:21 pm
I don't expect much sympathy from radio people here, especially younger radio people, who seem to have nothing but contempt for the older demographic listener. This explains the lack of formats in the Detroit Area serving older demographics. They claim it's difficult to sell. Probably because they have a bad attitude toward older listeners and don't try very hard to sell advertising on those stations.
I had a call today from a person wanting to reach an older demographic through commercial radio. I told him I would get back to him, because I didn't have a good answer.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic