Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Make no mistake about it - the media is rooting for a recession

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Lester The Nightfly

Re: Make no mistake about it - the media is rooting for a recession

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:15 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 pm
Sorry, but a recession *is* coming. Might take another 12 to 18 months to officially arrive, but one is around the corner. We are due. We typically see a recession within a decade's time from the prior one. In fact, it is rare to go a complete decade without a recession.

A lot of small cap & mid cap companies are seeing their cash flow leverage multiples rise to levels that are making lenders uncomfortable. Tightness in the labor pool isn't helping. The trade war definitely isn't helping.

Capital markets are going to tighten as debt comes up for maturity, and we're going to see an increase in corporate bankruptcy filings.
I would only add that this isn't occurring in a vacuum and that it shouldn't come as a surprise. I attended a dinner meeting with my financial advisers in Palm Springs last January and they called this point by point right down to which financial reporting quarters it was likely to unfold (For the record, it's happening a little sooner than they predicted). Suffice to say it doesn't have a damn thing to do with the media. It's the inverted yield curve and the tariffs largely responsible. Period. MW is also correct about cash flow leverage multiples and the labor pool.

Next thing to watch for is falling corporate earnings. The Trump tax cut has already been played out. In essence it was a one-off shot that is no longer particularly relevant looking forward. It's worth saying again, when earnings start taking a hit that's when it will start getting butt ugly.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:52 pm

FET-500 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:26 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 pm
Wall Street could care less about Trump or his BS. He's single-handedly tanking Obama's economic turnaround with his ill-conceived trade war and promoting the underemployment crisis as a boom.

The truth is that when 2-year notes yield better than 10-year, trouble is coming. Sorry facts are getting in the way of Trump's economic fantasies.
Obama turnaround? Do you mean quantitative easing?
Perhaps you missed it, but Obama inherited a depression from George "let's deregulate the banks and defund the SEC" Bush.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:54 pm

That’s right, Ultra Right Wingers. Blame the press for Donald Trump’s thoughts, words, and ill advised deeds.

Blame the press for his immature stupidity. Blame the press for his erratic childish actions. And for running the white house and its policies like a carnival fun house - of distorted mirrors.

The only persons dumber than The Donald are those conned by the TV show tycoon.

If this country is visited by another destructive recession - the blame rests on his shoulders. Of course he never accepts blame for anything going awry. And neither do his enablers: his family, his voters, his racist rally rats.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:22 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:52 pm
FET-500 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:26 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 pm
Wall Street could care less about Trump or his BS. He's single-handedly tanking Obama's economic turnaround with his ill-conceived trade war and promoting the underemployment crisis as a boom.

The truth is that when 2-year notes yield better than 10-year, trouble is coming. Sorry facts are getting in the way of Trump's economic fantasies.
Obama turnaround? Do you mean quantitative easing?
Perhaps you missed it, but Obama inherited a depression from George "let's deregulate the banks and defund the SEC" Bush.
What does that have to do with the previous post?
Perhaps you missed it but Obama was on 60Minutes telling us about the "new normal"? I know it was a long time ago but he said it...

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:55 pm

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:49 pm
The media hates heterosexual Christian white men. They are discriminated against in education. They don't work much in the media, private industry jobs due to HR, or government jobs anymore, so they tend to be self employed contractors, and have no pensions. Now they want to confiscate what they have struggled to save and invest, to pay for government pensions for others. They do this by taxation, and trying to crash the economy and stock market, to punish them even more.

Then they wonder why they support Trump. What else can they do to get by? Who else even pretends to help them?
When will the downtrodden heterosexual white Christian male ever get his chance to shine in this country?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:35 am

Motown322 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:55 pm
When will the downtrodden heterosexual white Christian male ever get his chance to shine in this country?
No shit.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:21 am

D-H-W-C-M’s UNITE!

Yes! Downtrodden Heterosexual White Christian Males,
we need a reversal in our collective fortune! Seems America doesn’t appreciate our deserved supremacy anymore.

We must endeavor to become more like our great leader, Donald J. Trump, and his faithful co-crusader, Mike Pence.

As Dan Rather used to say when the media liked us, “Courage!”

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:11 am

It's the inverted yield curve and the tariffs largely responsible. Period. MW is also correct about cash flow leverage multiples and the labor pool.

Next thing to watch for is falling corporate earnings. The Trump tax cut has already been played out. In essence it was a one-off shot that is no longer particularly relevant looking forward. It's worth saying again, when earnings start taking a hit that's when it will start getting butt ugly.
The inverted yield curve is a warning sign, not a cause.

You are correct about falling corporate earnings. While lower corporate taxes benefit our economy over the long-term, they by no means cause us to be recession proof. Even if the corporate tax rate were zero, we'd still see ebb and flow in gross domestic product. Labor pool, consumption trends & shifts, and regulatory changes are all factors.

I still think we'd see a recession around the bend even if no trade war with China were ongoing. Again, look at the history. We are due. The good news with the upcoming recession is the economy is in a better "starting place" then what was the case going into the '08/'09 recession, and we shouldn't see a gigantic epidemic of mortgage foreclosures with this one. (Irresponsible mortgage lending practices and irresponsible structuring of mortgage backed securities is what made the last recession so bad.)

I know economic experts from Moody's were predicting a 2020 recession as far back as 2017.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:57 am

The stupidity on this thread demonstrates why I have blocked three of the trolls on this board. Special notice to Jeff Dugan, who needs to take all his personalities back to Dumbfuckistan. A tip of the hat as well to TC Shuts Up, who has forgotten that White, Christian. Heterosexual Males still run pretty much everything in this country. I would be curious as to the factuak evidence he can offer to prove his absolutely fucking ridiculous claim. HA!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:42 am

I don't know specifically about "Christian" white males, but I would point out that suicide rates are higher among white, middle-aged males than any other demographic. https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/ I even remember seeing a story done on this a few years back on one of the night-time news shows (60 Minutes maybe? ) The reason was that they are the group most likely to be stuck in lower-middle-class, labor-intensive, dead-end jobs.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:52 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:42 am
I don't know specifically about "Christian" white males, but I would point out that suicide rates are higher among white, middle-aged males than any other demographic. https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/ I even remember seeing a story done on this a few years back on one of the night-time news shows (60 Minutes maybe? ) The reason was that they are the group most likely to be stuck in lower-middle-class, labor-intensive, dead-end jobs.

First thing they need to do is accept that they're working class, not middle class. Right away they'll feel more contented. They won't have to be all the time trying to live up to middle class ideals that are often unattainable to the working class.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:46 am

bmw wrote:
The reason Michael Savage became a talk show host, for instance, is that after amassing a PhD and several Masters Degrees, as a Conservative Jewish White Male Heterosexual, he was unable to find work as a College Professor, because Colleges and Universities now nearly exclusively employ Females, Minorities, Homosexuals, and Atheists. If you aren't one of those, you're lucky to get in as an Adjunct or Visiting Professor or Lecturer with low pay and little chance for advancement.

It helps Savage, Levin, and others that they are Jewish, because it has thus far warded off accusations by the SPLC and others that they are Anti-Semitic. Several Christian talk show hosts have been run off the airwaves by such false insinuations.
Last edited by TC Shuts Up on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:53 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:52 am
bmw wrote:

First thing they need to do is accept that they're working class, not middle class. Right away they'll feel more contented. They won't have to be all the time trying to live up to middle class ideals that are often unattainable to the working class.
Often, unless they are self employed, they are held down by "THE WOMAN", the new version of "THE MAN", often in HR. They may have education and skills and intelligence in the top 1% to 10% , but are held down by "THE SYSTEM", to menial, non managerial jobs with relatively low pay.

Turkeytop's assertion that men should just accept their new low sociological and socioeconomic position is like telling women to just lie back and enjoy being raped. Because it is like a sociological rape in its oppression and suppression of men.

This is too often seen as something they deserve because of past incidences of real and imagined oppression and suppression by "THE MAN".

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:49 pm

I'm a straight white Christian man and have NEVER been "held down by the system." My pay is terrific. I periodically get calls from other companies trying to recruit me.

Perhaps those being "held back" have poor social skills or simply do not stand out with regard to job performance?

Those who feel slighted or have had to settle for menial work probably fall into one of two camps:
- Below average intelligence (I genuinely feel sorry for such people because they can't help it);
- People who willfully threw educational opportunities down the shitter, assumed they'd have an auto manufacturing job all their lives because their father or mother worked for GM / Ford / Chrysler, and have done little to nothing to make themselves attractive to employers looking for skilled tradesmen.
Universities now nearly exclusively employ Females, Minorities, Homosexuals, and Atheists. If you aren't one of those, you're lucky to get in as an Adjunct or Visiting Professor or Lecturer with low pay and little chance for advancement.
Proof?

During four years of undergraduate education, I had a grand total of 1 (!!!) professor who was African American. I also had exactly 1 professor who was Hispanic. Probably one-fourth were white females. Probably 60 percent were white males. The remainder were Asian - predominantly Asian Indian.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 am

American males much more often than American females act out “fear=anger=gun-violence” escalation. More males than females in our country use a gun to kill others, or themselves. Why?

Both American females and males can feel fear, depression, and anger - yet American males more often progress in those feelings toward gun violence. Why?

Important questions as we collectively examine mass shootings and gun violence in general - across our blood-flooded USA.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic