Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Copyright laws

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Copyright laws

Post by bmw » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:43 am

As a preliminary matter, Article I, Section 8, Clause 8 of the US Constitution reads as follows:
[Congress shall have the power] To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries.
I guess I've never read that or paid any attention to that clause before, but one thing strikes me immediately upon reading it - the purpose of copyright laws is not to protect an individual's right to profit from his/her work; rather, the purpose is that of advancing science and art in broader society. Protecting the individual is only a means to this end.

Viewed in that light, do you think that today's copyright laws are over-broad? At what point does giving too many protections to the individual actually hamper the advancement of science and arts? I find the 70 years plus life of the author to be excessive and actually counter-productive to the original intent. Stuff should end up in the public domain in a far shorter time - I think the original 28 years seems far more reasonable.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic