Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Justin Amash

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: Justin Amash

Post by bmw » Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:56 am
Audio raises a great point about Levin, who in my view, is somewhat of a phony. He only wraps himself in the Constitution when doing so is expedient for himself and rallying support for high profile candidates for office.
What I don't like about Levin is how much of a self-promoter he is. Back in his CRTV days (and now with Blaze) he constantly plugged his gig there while on his radio platform. He also routinely brags about how he was right about things in the past or the first person to saying things that nobody else - even other conservatives, said or were right about. I tune into his radio show once in a while but his ego-driven personality is just too much for me most of the time, even if I often agree with his points of view. I also find him to be a bit of an opportunist disguised as a principled person.

All of that said, he's done a better job at completely dismantling the Mueller Report than anybody else I've heard attempt it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 pm

Amash has too much of a following to be defeated in the primaries. I would also point out that Michigan has an open primary system - it wouldn't surprise me if some democrats come out to vote for him just in the primaries because of his impeach-Trump stance.
Good point.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu May 30, 2019 11:04 pm

Amash has too much of a following to be defeated in the primaries. I would also point out that Michigan has an open primary system - it wouldn't surprise me if some democrats come out to vote for him just in the primaries because of his impeach-Trump stance.
Shit... you're on to my diabolical plan :cry:

Seriously though, I've been doing that for years. Register as GOP for the primaries, vote for the biggest douchebag dunderhead the Republicans had to offer (there was usually a rather extensive field to select from) then switch back to the Democrats for the general election. Depending on where I was living at the time, if that was too much work I'd just stay registered as a Republican and fuck 'em over when it really counted for the final vote.

Also lots of fun stuffing GOP fundraising return envelopes with extra paper so they would have to pick up the tab for insufficient postage only to find :eek No check?????? You'd think they would figure it out after the first ten times but nope, greed always got the best of them.

As for the ethical considerations I would just point out if you ain't doin' what it takes to win, why bother at all...
(Wow, that's almost Trumpian in it's disregard for how the process was intended to work)

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:00 am

Amash is leaving the Republican party.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/0 ... /23763010/

I say, don't let the door hit you on the way out. While I agree with some of what he wrote in the op-ed linked in this article, leaving the party you were a member of - the party on whose ticket you ran to get yourself elected - is a bit of a betrayal of those who voted for you, IMO. He also quit the freedom caucus. He's basically turned himself into a lame duck that nobody in Congress will want to deal with him.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:02 am

Presidential run?

Nothing else makes sense.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:35 am

How can you quit something you were never really a part of?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:01 am

If he runs as a third-party candidate for President, be better be prepared for the wrath he'll take from the right-wing media. If he thought he took some heat over his pro-impeachment stance (a stance which as I said he was unfairly attacked for) then he hasn't seen anything yet.

re: Matt - he's a libertarian, plain and simple. But so was Ron Paul and to a lesser extent Rand Paul, and they made some noise as republicans. I think there's room in the republican party for libertarians. In fact I think some are needed in the party to at least try to keep some of its fiscal policies in-check.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:41 pm

All I know is Bill Ballenger is a moron.

That imbecile thinks Amash has a minimal chance of reelection now. From the Detroit News:
"It appears to me that Justin Amash has little or no chance to return to Congress for the 3rd District of Michigan," Ballenger said, referring to the challenges for independent and third-party candidates.
Hey, Bill. Tell us how Bernie Sanders, Joe Lieberman, Lowell Weicker, Arlen Specter, and Richard Shelby all fared after either changing party affiliations or running for reelection as Independents.

I remember when businessman Brian Ellis was supposed to take down Amash in a GOP congressional primary when Amash was running for his second term. Instead, Amash wiped the floor clean with him in the primary.

Ballenger should spend more time finding a replacement for that hideous rug he calls a toupee than offering short-sighted political campaign commentary.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:29 pm

I happen to agree with Ballenger. Amash now has TWO things working against him - both his hatred for Trump and now his abandonment of the republican party. Who will be his base exactly that puts him back into office? The Democrat in 2018 got 43% to Amash's 54%. If he decides to run for re-election in 2020 as an independent, I expect the Democrat vote to go up slightly to the mid-40s and then you have 55 points left to be split between Amash and whoever the republican ends up being. I'm going to predict right now that Amash doesn't crack 30% in 2020 if he runs.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:51 pm

The fifty cent question is, if Amash decides to mount a windmill tilting run at the presidency as an Independent, can he siphon off enough discontented voters on the right to be a spoiler?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:14 pm

I think Justin Amash will be fine running as an independent for Congress I see those that like Justin and that have voted for him since 2010 will do so in 2020. If I lived in GR I wouldn't vote for Bill Ballenger way too far right for my liking I hope there will be more running in the GOP primary than just Bill Ballenger wouldn't matter as Justin wins again. I don't see Justin doing well if he ran for President just my opinion I'm voting 3RD party in 2020.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:34 pm

Well, bmw, I will agree with you insofar as Justin's move helps the Democrats more than it helps the GOP.

Had this remained a two candidate race, I think there would've been a strong chance of the Third District remaining in Republican hands.

Amash would've had much stronger odds of being reelected had he managed to secure the GOP nomination, but to say his chances of being reelected are now minimal is absurd, IMO.

I won't go so far as to say Amash has a better than even money chance of winning reelection, but his chances are much better than "minimal."

Incumbency helps a lot, and in prior races where Amash was said to be in a tight race, he wound up winning very comfortably.

35 percent might be all it takes to win the Third District in a three person race, and I think Amash stands a decent shot of reaching that number. I bet at least a third of registered GOP voters will still vote for him, and I bet he'll get a majority of the Independent vote. Remember the Town Hall about a month ago? There weren't very many upset GOP voters at that gathering; the Amash supporters far outnumbered the detractors it seemed.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:44 am

Amash. Speaks truth. Rare courage.

Read entire Mueller Report. Understood what it means. Took action.

Spoke truth to power. Cowering GOP cohorts - not read report. Not informed.

Stay strong Amash. History will honor you. Sacred “narrow” path.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:53 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:57 am
screen glare wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:44 am
Amash. Speaks truth. Rare courage.

Read entire Mueller Report. Understood what it means. Took action.

Spoke truth to power. Cowering GOP cohorts - not read report. Not informed.

Stay strong Amash. History will honor you. Sacred “narrow” path.
And he believes life begins at conception, like all intelligent, reasonable, logical people.

http://www.ontheissues.org/MI/Justin_Amash.htm
Yep.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:36 am

Still in a bind over something you can’t ever eliminate - no matter what you say or do? Flail on, dearies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic