Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gretcholm wants to raise fuel taxes by 45 cents/gallon by 2020

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Shuts Up

Re: Gretcholm wants to raise fuel taxes by 45 cents/gallon by 2020

Post by TC Shuts Up » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:43 am

JOINTLY.
Great minds think alike. TAX JOINTS and COMMUNITY JOINT BONG JOINTS!

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:54 am

For being the auto capital, our roads are an embarrassment! I don't know what form it will take but it's gonna take a lot to fix our crumbling roads. They have been let go for far too long. And the longer we wait the worse they will get. I don't think the Snyder plan has fully kicked in yet but I doubt even that is going to be enough to tackle the problem. There is going to be sticker shock, no way around that. But that is what happens when our elected officials aren't doing their jobs. There is some federal rule that won't allow tolling on roads built with federal money or something like that.
Last edited by Deleted User 4520 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Weed is already taxed heavily, TCSU. :hat

I'm not opposed to taxing it more heavily, though!

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:22 am

Just exactly what happened to all the money that was and still will be collected from You and Me, When Governor Snyder raised our registration fees about 3 or 4 years ago to fix the roads, No one has even mentioned that one. Snyder is just as bad as Whitmer, They will keep taking and we have to keep giving, If “The Devil In The Blue Dress” Keeps going at this rate one of two things will happen we will have higher registration fees or our property tax will increase just “To fix the damn roads”

Y M Ionhere

Re: Gretcholm wants to raise fuel taxes by cr 45 cents/gallon by 2020

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:11 am

I rarely cross the border, but whenever I do go, I notice that Windsor has better roads despite being in the same region and climate. I also notice cars that are older and in better condition than i see on our side of the Detroit river. It has made me question whether Canada uses less salt or at least a less corrosive mix. My parents laid salt down on their walkway and it tore up the concrete after a few winters. Tennessee and Georgia use little salt, if any, and their roads are famously smooth. So I have to wonder if theres a correlation between salt use and road decay. Im also interested in knowing how Colorados roads are. Heavy snow state, but lots of really old vehicles in decent shape because the deicing solution is far less destructive than Michigans beloved rock salt. I wouldnt be surprised if they also had nicer roads.

Deleted User 4520

Re: Gretcholm wants to raise fuel taxes by cr 45 cents/gallon by 2020

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:28 am

I don't think the Snyder plan has fully taken effect yet. And as I said before, I don't think it will be enough. Also have to look at truck weights.
Y M Ionhere wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:11 am
I rarely cross the border, but whenever I do go, I notice that Windsor has better roads despite being in the same region and climate. I also notice cars that are older and in better condition than i see on our side of the Detroit river. It has made me question whether Canada uses less salt or at least a less corrosive mix. My parents laid salt down on their walkway and it tore up the concrete after a few winters. Tennessee and Georgia use little salt, if any, and their roads are famously smooth. So I have to wonder if theres a correlation between salt use and road decay. Im also interested in knowing how Colorados roads are. Heavy snow state, but lots of really old vehicles in decent shape because the deicing solution is far less destructive than Michigans beloved rock salt. I wouldnt be surprised if they also had nicer roads.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:38 am

Promise, promised delivered!

The most hilarious suggestion was that tourism would suffer... Do we really want people so broke they can't afford gas? Let them stay in Ohio.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:47 am

She promised only a 20 cent increase in the debates.

I'm glad I bought a large car that gets 50 MPG+ on the highway with up to a 1000 mile range. I can fill up in Ohio.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:54 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:47 am
She promised only a 20 cent increase in the debates.
I'm glad I bought a large car that gets 50 MPG+ on the highway with up to a 1000 mile range. I can fill up in Ohio.
You have always been an mpg master... I

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:15 am

Interesting. I don't remember Whitmer throwing out an actual figure during the campaign. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just surprised I was unaware.

Tennessee has far fewer snow and ice events where salt use is required. Usually, only major freeways are treated south of the mason-dixon line, and usually the treatment is limited to a deicing liquid that quickly becomes ineffective after snow accumulates.

The freeze-thaw process, which becomes extremely frequent with heavy salt use, plus decades of half-assed road maintenance due to a combination of underfunding and poor governance explains the horrible state of our roads.

The legislation signed into law a few years ago gave very little money to county roads and only filled about half the bucket required to resuscitate state maintained roads.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:26 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:38 am
Promise, promised delivered!

The most hilarious suggestion was that tourism would suffer... Do we really want people so broke they can't afford gas? Let them stay in Ohio.
It's a consideration. There's only so many Rich Tourists. You're speaking with a TC Mindset. Many other areas in Northern Michigan and Outstate do not try to attract just the Top 1%-10%. The average Michigan tourists will suffer, along with the Owners and Renters in the less toney areas. You've been hanging out with entirely too many high profile liberal ex-Flintoids (MM, BH, CC, DP) who are entirely too influenced by MM and the "mainstream" Protestant clergy who have become too liberal and social gospel oriented.
Last edited by TC Shuts Up on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:30 am

It's funny. Everyone agrees our roads are bad, everyone agrees something needs to be done. But yet nobody wants to pay for it. I guess people rather pay hundreds of dollars paying out of pocket for car repairs due to our piss poor roads. Our elected leaders have really failed us on this. Because of that we have to pick up the slack to get this done. Not an optimal choice but when our leaders can't agree on anything what else can be done? The roads will only deteriorate more in the meantime.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:40 am

TheForce wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:30 am
It's funny. Everyone agrees our roads are bad, everyone agrees something needs to be done. But yet nobody wants to pay for it. I guess people rather pay hundreds of dollars paying out of pocket for car repairs due to our piss poor roads. Our elected leaders have really failed us on this. Because of that we have to pick up the slack to get this done. Not an optimal choice but when our leaders can't agree on anything what else can be done? The roads will only deteriorate more in the meantime.
I don't mind a bit of an increase. I drive 70k a year (down from much more) and I have gone through many bearings in the past two years. That's costing me too...

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:09 pm

TheForce wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:30 am
I understand we need to get the money from something to fix the roads, But not from everything, They have to chose one not three ways to achieve the funding, They have a choice #1 A gas tax, #2 Higher registration fees and #3 Higher property tax, They should only be able to pick one but don’t hit us in every way.
That’s all I’m saying.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:21 pm

There are many articles on this and some of them fail to mention that the 45 cent increase would be phased in with three 15 cent increments through 2020.
Last edited by Deleted User 4520 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic