Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Prince Phillip and All Advanced Age Drivers: Dangerous!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
stopnswop2

Re: Prince Phillip and All Advanced Age Drivers: Dangerous!

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:26 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:03 pm
stopnswop2 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:56 pm
audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:42 pm
audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:44 pm
I have close relatives that are over 85 and have a perfect driving record over their lifetime (no tickets, no accidents). The drive daily and operate a farm, lifting heavy objects, and are fit as a horse. They have perfect vision (thanks to cataract surgery).

I recently rode with them on I-75 at posted speeds. There is no reason they should be put a battery of tests just because a time stamp.
If you can’t drive safely (which many folks above around 80 can't) then you should be subject to further scrutiny for the safety of others. This is serious life and death stuff. And those healthy as a horse folks you mention are short timers... would you want the end to come while they are moving 70 mph?
I would be more concerned with those on opioids, marijuana and alcohol than someone dying while driving.
Totally agree with you there.
When was the last time you heard "fatal accident caused by elderly death at the wheel" ?? Never for me!
Medical emergency accidents happen all the time...
Well yes I know that, but not only elderly people have medical issues

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:11 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:26 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:03 pm
stopnswop2 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:56 pm
audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:42 pm
audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:44 pm
I have close relatives that are over 85 and have a perfect driving record over their lifetime (no tickets, no accidents). The drive daily and operate a farm, lifting heavy objects, and are fit as a horse. They have perfect vision (thanks to cataract surgery).

I recently rode with them on I-75 at posted speeds. There is no reason they should be put a battery of tests just because a time stamp.
If you can’t drive safely (which many folks above around 80 can't) then you should be subject to further scrutiny for the safety of others. This is serious life and death stuff. And those healthy as a horse folks you mention are short timers... would you want the end to come while they are moving 70 mph?
I would be more concerned with those on opioids, marijuana and alcohol than someone dying while driving.
Totally agree with you there.
When was the last time you heard "fatal accident caused by elderly death at the wheel" ?? Never for me!
Medical emergency accidents happen all the time...
Well yes I know that, but not only elderly people have medical issues
But it is more likely the longer you go..

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:25 pm

Tremendous number of two vehicles, vehicle pedestrian, vehicle motorcycle accidents happen due to medical emergencies behind the wheel. Especially in areas with large retirement populations.

Hearing and sight deficits, slowed reaction times, easily startled, weakened hands, arms, feet, and legs, inability to look over ones shoulder quickly, short term memory loss, etc. are all likely problems in elderly drivers - plus medical emergencies like heart attacks and strokes while driving.

My mother insisted well into her 80’s that she was an “excellent” driver every time we tried desperately to convince her to stop driving. Even explaining that she’d “never forgive herself if she accidently killed a child” did not get her to change her mind. Nor reviewing her three moving violation tickets she got over te last year.

Finally we just confiscated her car keys and gave her car to one of her grand daughters who really needed a car to get to work. Mom kind of acquiesced - but never really stopped lamenting her loss of travel independence.

Now we drive her wherever she wants to go. In three years she’ll be 90. She can’t hear a thing, can’t remember what just happened, and can’t get into a car without help because she’s so weak.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Did the same with my parents when they both reached 85 it was time to take the keys away, Now if I could do that with my older Grandkids I would be a happy camper.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:43 pm

And...don’t look now - but Prince Phillip was seen right back on the roads driving another car today! By himself!! Jolly irresponsible. Wouldn’t you agree? Where’s his bloody family!!!!! I hope the folks in the car he collided with this week file suit or haul him into court or whatever Brits do to obtain civil justice.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:54 pm

Suing the Royal Family... I'm sure that will turn out well. :lol

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Oh apparently today Queen Elizabeth was spotted driving without a seatbelt...
🙄

They're all insane

Music is my life.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:41 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:06 pm
I asked a cop here in Florida if I'm allowed to ride my bike on the sidewalk. He wiped the cottage cheese from his chin and said "You're not supposed to, but with all the drunks and old people on the road here, you should ride on the sidewalk."
Nice. I really do enjoy when people pepper their writing with delightful flourishes that help paint a vivid picture. Well done!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic