Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Mega Hertz

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:23 am

"Yeah, we're gonna build that wall, and then it'll take Congress seven years to figure out which color to fuckin' paint it"

-Lewis Black

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:40 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 am
Democrat opposition to the wall has NOTHING to do with the cost, and you're being disingenuous if you say it does. Democrats NEVER, EVER oppose ANY form of government spending, no matter how useless, if it advances a leftist cause.
Their absolute loathing of the POTUS aside, I think their biggest reason for not funding a wall, along with other border security measures, is primarily because it's in their best interest to have as many undocumented Democrats coming into this country as possible.

If 80 percent of the offspring of illegal immigrants were shown to be future Republican voters, you can rest assured there would be a wall 40 foot tall, 30 feet thick with mine fields on both sides funded immediately.

Remember too, once a wall is built, it's there and does it's job automatically. Electronic measures and physical enforcement can change depending on the directives given by those in charge.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 am

The party of fiscal responsibility strikes again.

Since we're using strawman arguments, let me get one in really quick.

Okay, 5.7 billion for a useless wall. Great. Really wanna protect Americans? Make it so they can afford to go to the hospital and be treated. I'm more afraid of getting jammed up with hospital bills than Raul selling oranges by the freeway.

Also, Republicans area against "wasteful spending", like they accuse the boogeyman "left" of doing. Wouldn't something like this be described as wasteful? Well, if something like health insurance is wasteful, I can't see how a supposed wall is any better.

Here's a more fun one...okay, you wanna spend 5.7 billion on a wall? Okay, great. Bully for you!

But, we need a fence in the backyard because a cat was in our yard. Not like they can't over the fence or under it, but...okay, we NEED a fence.

I seem to remember some of our right wing friends doing something like this a few years ago.

Our monthly household income is, say...$4,000.

Okay, house payment is $1,000.

All utilities are, about...$400.

Phone bills are roughly $100 each.

Oh! Car notes and insurance...$500 between both of our vehicles.

Damn...we gotta eat, and feed the two kids...$200 a week or so at the store.

Oh, forgot daycare...$3-400 a week.

Now, the kids need new clothes. The car is acting up. May need a new roof. We need gas in the car.

No vacations, no fast food, no new TV's or stereo's.

The fence (because a cat got in the yard and killed a mouse) costs $1,000.

Now, if ALL the other needed items are taken care of...okay, let's look into a fence.

But if the kids are hungry, the house is cold, and there's a hole in the roof...perhaps we should be taking care of things that are a little more important, like...insurance, starvation, homelessness, poverty and jobs/wages...THEN we can worry about a fucking WALL.

-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:52 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 am

Okay, 5.7 billion for a useless wall.
Mega Hertz wrote:
But if the kids are hungry, the house is cold, and there's a hole in the roof...perhaps we should be taking care of things that are a little more important, like...insurance, starvation, homelessness, poverty and jobs/wages...THEN we can worry about a fucking WALL.
Maybe, just maybe, fewer undocumented Democrats using resources will lead to improvements for US citizens with the things you list?

Currently the education costs for the children of illegal immigrants is roughly 45 billion a year. That's just the cost of schooling.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:52 am
Mega Hertz wrote:

Okay, 5.7 billion for a useless wall.
Mega Hertz wrote:
Maybe, just maybe, fewer undocumented Democrats using resources will lead to improvements for US citizens with the things you list?

Currently the education costs for the children of illegal immigrants is roughly 45 billion a year. That's just the cost of schooling.
Pretty sure nobody feels like getting shot at, either.

-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:05 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:01 pm
This has to be one of the most idiotic statements I've read on here in some time. Are you suggesting that the mere threat of being shot at would keep prisoners in their place if there were otherwise no jail cells or walls?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:06 pm

Democrats this, Democrats that.

We're you behind the Democrats when they supposedly wanted to spend 5.7 billion on a wall like all those videos on those right wing sites? Because I remember a lot of huffing and puffing over Obama's budget. So, if he and the Democrats wanted in then, why didn't it get passed? Sounds to me like plenty of Republican support now...

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:06 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:05 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:01 pm
This has to be one of the most idiotic statements I've read on here in some time. Are you suggesting that the mere threat of being shot at would keep prisoners in their place if there were otherwise no jail cells or walls?
Typical leftist, resorts to calling names...

I'll just let TC Talks keep taking out the trash. Go back to worrying about the win and only the win.
Last edited by Mega Hertz on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:40 am

Their absolute loathing of the POTUS aside, I think their biggest reason for not funding a wall, along with other border security measures, is primarily because it's in their best interest to have as many undocumented Democrats coming into this country as possible...
You can't really set aside their absolute loathing though, as I believe it is the primary driving force behind everything the left does today. Remember when Trump last year offered up amnesty for 1.8 million illegals? Where did that go with democrats?

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:06 pm
Typical leftist, resorts to calling names...
I didn't engage in name-calling. I said your STATEMENT was IDIOTIC. Look up the definition of idiotic.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:19 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm
Bryce wrote:

Their absolute loathing of the POTUS aside, I think their biggest reason for not funding a wall, along with other border security measures, is primarily because it's in their best interest to have as many undocumented Democrats coming into this country as possible...
You can't really set aside their absolute loathing though, as I believe it is the primary driving force behind everything the left does today. Remember when Trump last year offered up amnesty for 1.8 million illegals? Where did that go with democrats?
Simple... He pulled out of his own deal... Chuck and Nancy were ready to sign...

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 pm

I voted for Trump, but I feel there's a good chance he doesn't finish his term in part due to his wall fight. I feel enough GOP representatives/senators will eventually support the Dem plan to reopen the government for a potential Trump veto to be overridden

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:50 pm

He could have had his wall in exchange for amnesty for the dreamers... it was his idea... then he backed out..

Why don’t we just do amnesty for those that are here COUPLED with two or three legal points of entry and registration ala Ellis Island? This problem could be dramatically curtailed with an overhaul of the methods of legal entry... you wouldn’t need a wall.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 pm

Bryce wrote:
bmw wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 am
Democrat opposition to the wall has NOTHING to do with the cost, and you're being disingenuous if you say it does. Democrats NEVER, EVER oppose ANY form of government spending, no matter how useless, if it advances a leftist cause.
Their absolute loathing of the POTUS aside, I think their biggest reason for not funding a wall, along with other border security measures, is primarily because it's in their best interest to have as many undocumented Democrats coming into this country as possible.

If 80 percent of the offspring of illegal immigrants were shown to be future Republican voters, you can rest assured there would be a wall 40 foot tall, 30 feet thick with mine fields on both sides funded immediately.

Remember too, once a wall is built, it's there and does it's job automatically. Electronic measures and physical enforcement can change depending on the directives given by those in charge.
Honest to shit, do you really believe that? Hate to break it to you but things are going blue in states like Arizona without Trump's made up hoard of illegals. Do you think this is all about jacking around with the vote as opposed to folks not being keen on the idea of flushing $5B in the shitter to keep Individual-1's base at bay? Are you really of a mind that this revolves around the possible horror of "offspring of illegal immigrants were shown to be future Republican voters"?

Sorry... if the Republican party goes up in a sad, insignificant puff of ashen smoke like some geriatric fart, don't blame anyone but yourselves. (Although that would take the skill to do a little self examination of one's own moral foundation, which as evidenced so far, Republicans seem unable to do unless there's somethin' in it for their piggy bank or just the funzies of stepping on people's necks)

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:54 am

I'm not sure I buy Bryce's theory , hyperbole aside on size of said wall, but I don't think it's as far fetched as Lester thinks. From a long term strategic sense it's a good plan. Most American children of those immigrants likely would vote democratic.
As a theory it makes more sense than one that thinks republicans are going to disappear.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic