Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 8570

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:56 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:10 am
Fair enough. Indeed, he's kept some of campaign promises and delivered on those items successfully. BUT - the hurdle for being able to deliver on most of those items was not particularly high.

He kept citing his negotiating prowess during the campaign. I've yet to see substantial evidence that it's a strong asset in terms of policy making through the legislative process. Yes, he got tax reform done - but Republicans controlled both chambers. Not exactly a tough challenge.
It’s also a hugely unpopular accomplishment... so the only major thing he did nobody likes...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:16 pm

He's doing not too bad.

Repeal Obamacare O

Build the wall. O

Trade war. X

Tax cuts for the rich. X

Longest shutdown ever X

Belated State of Union. x

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:06 am

It’s also a hugely unpopular accomplishment... so the only major thing he did nobody likes...
I don't hear too many people complaining about having more money in their pockets.

Most people who disapprove of it do so because they wanted an even larger tax cut.

Last poll I saw showed 39% approving and 46% disapproving. Not exactly "hugely unpopular," but certainly not a political success story, either.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:48 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:06 am
I don't hear too many people complaining about having more money in their pockets.

Most people who disapprove of it do so because they wanted an even larger tax cut.

Last poll I saw showed 39% approving and 46% disapproving. Not exactly "hugely unpopular," but certainly not a political success story, either.
The amount of “more money in my pocket” is negligible... I might get 10-15 more dollars... I’m not sold that it’s worth overheating the economy over... GDP forecasts for later this year are already returning to... wait for it... around 2%... thought the tax cut was supposed to magically cure this supposed ailment?

Now if I made a million a year instead of 47,000 I would probably be saving some real money but as it stands this tax cut (plus the elimination of deductions on property tax above $10,000) doesn’t seem to do much for me in the pocketbook and will hurt those folks in high tax blue states where that $10,000 property tax is a real consideration.

The overarching fact is that a tax cut during an expansion like this rather than as a stimulus out of a recession is a completely inappropriate use of the tool.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic