All accepted registrations through September 8 at 11:45a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Being pro-police

The classic Political Potpourri forum is back by popular demand! ~SEPARATE REGISTRATION IS NO LONGER NEEDED; ALL REGISTERED BUZZBOARD USERS ARE WELCOME TO POST!~ Be forwarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
NoozDude

Re: Being pro-police

Post by NoozDude » Sun May 24, 2015 9:05 am

[quote="lovinlife101"]When he's acting as a public information officer for the police department, as he has in the past, he is speaking on behalf of a police department./quote]

Let's clear up some misconceptions, misinformation and/or assumptions.
(1) As the bio states, he was PIO for the Back To Bricks Law Enforcement Task Force. He, however, did not represent any police agency but, rather, one of several BTTB committee members who were involved with the task force. The Task Force commander and/or The chairman of BTTB were the official spokespersons.
(2) The "last August" reference in the bio refers to the time of year after he was let go by ABC12 and before he was hired by NBC25.
(3) it was a volunteer, non-paid position.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun May 24, 2015 2:19 pm

What is wrong with being pro-police occasionally?

News is mostly pro-moron, so what's wrong with some balance :blink

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

DAC

Post by DAC » Sun May 24, 2015 6:53 pm

audiophile wrote:What is wrong with being pro-police occasionally?

News is mostly pro-moron, so what's wrong with some balance :blink
Amen! <Hillbilly accent> Somthin' happened da me dat I dint like, so Ah called tv5, an dey got R done!" <end hillbilly accent>

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:42 pm

This is to answer audiophile's question.

The problem with being "pro-police," even occasionally, for a journalist is that it is tipping the story in favor of the police and being biased rather than being balanced.

Simply reporting what police say, without scrutiny, is journalism malpractice.

See this link: http://wcrz.com/flints-bill-harris-talk ... -12-audio/

At 4:10 there's talk about training new police chiefs in media relations. There's also a comment about a state police lieutenant being a best friend. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with having a best friend that just so happens to be a state police lieutenant. But when that results in only positive stories for police, no scrutiny, training police how to handle the media, serving as a police public affairs official, etc., that's where it crosses the journalistic line.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:06 am

And then there's this: http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index ... _svsu.html

A Detroit student studying in a masters program at SVSU gets pulled over for no reason, gets cuffed and charged with felony fleeing and alluding simply because he pulled into a lit parking lot. His cousin had been robbed by fake police before and he was simply taking precautions.

Then, police and the prosecutor have the audacity to offer a plea deal so that he would still have a misdemeanor, lose his job and forfeit his financial aid.

THESE FOLKS DO NOT WORK FOR YOU!

The police and prosecutor targeted this Detroit student who is trying to make a better life for himself and the police want to ruin his life.

Absolutely disgusting.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:30 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:This is to answer audiophile's question.

The problem with being "pro-police," even occasionally, for a journalist is that it is tipping the story in favor of the police and being biased rather than being balanced.

Simply reporting what police say, without scrutiny, is journalism malpractice.

See this link: http://wcrz.com/flints-bill-harris-talk ... -12-audio/

At 4:10 there's talk about training new police chiefs in media relations. There's also a comment about a state police lieutenant being a best friend. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with having a best friend that just so happens to be a state police lieutenant. But when that results in only positive stories for police, no scrutiny, training police how to handle the media, serving as a police public affairs official, etc., that's where it crosses the journalistic line.
Where is your proof there was no scrutiny?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

WhatIsNews

Post by WhatIsNews » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:52 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:And then there's this: http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index ... _svsu.html

A Detroit student studying in a masters program at SVSU gets pulled over for no reason, gets cuffed and charged with felony fleeing and alluding simply because he pulled into a lit parking lot. His cousin had been robbed by fake police before and he was simply taking precautions.

Then, police and the prosecutor have the audacity to offer a plea deal so that he would still have a misdemeanor, lose his job and forfeit his financial aid.

THESE FOLKS DO NOT WORK FOR YOU!

The police and prosecutor targeted this Detroit student who is trying to make a better life for himself and the police want to ruin his life.

Absolutely disgusting.

You're not alone in your distrust of police, either from a systemic or personal level... but most people either take issue with "bad cops" or with biased policing (or racial targeting). You seem opposed to the whole concept of enforcing laws.

You pick a lot of anecdotal evidence (videos/stories) to show how horrible police are, but that's all it is. You can just as easily find examples of people doing bad things in every single profession in the world.

It's also odd that you picked this year (when there has been more negative police attention than any other time I can remember) to say media is pro-police. You see a lot more people complaining these days about the LACK of "good police" stories.

I DO think you've brought up a good point about media assuming police always tell the truth. All media work under the assumption that police statements are true unless proven false. Reporter will be careful to explain "police say" this, or "police say" that -- so as not to claim they know something themselves -- but police are still one of the most reliable sources we have. I've often wished there was a better alternative, but I don't really have one.

You can try to get random neighbors to tell you what happened in any given case... but usually (best case scenario) they're speculating, (most likely scenario) they won't talk, or (worst case scenario) they lie. If several people contradict a police story, then you check on it. I think St. Louis and Baltimore prove that media are more than willing to hold police responsible, but it's not like reporters have access to forensics. We don't do nearly as much "detective" work as most people think. Police have access to the most information.

However, I'm surprised anyone would be so mad about the police basketball event (and media coverage of it). Especially in areas like Flint and Saginaw, even the most jaded person acknowledges that there needs to be better communication between police and regular people. Police aren't magic. They rely on witnesses to do their job and keep people safe. If witnesses get to know police officers better (even if there's only 1 or 2 they trust), that has to be a good thing for catching real criminals (murderers, drug dealers). The story you just posted if proof of that. Police assume a person in a car is trying to get away... and the person in the car doesn't trust the police are actually police. Wouldn't it be better if the lines of communication were open so police and citizens both didn't always fear the worst?

Is it smart to be cautious of police? Careful around police? Yes. But against the whole concept of police ("THESE FOLKS DO NOT WORK FOR YOU")? Yikes! What a depressing way to look at life (ironic, given your user name).

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:56 pm

To answer the first question, the proof I have that Bill Harris does not scrutinize anything police do is the same proof that I have that pigs can't fly. There's no evidence of either.

When Bill does a police story, it's only to promote a department, the way they do things, highlight one of the officers, etc. He's a cheerleader for them, an extension of public relations.

On to the other assumption that I don't want police enforcing laws or that I got "mad" at a basketball event with kids and fully armed cops. These are both false. Police enforcing laws means they are respecting peoples' rights. Unfortunately, that's not happening. Police assume the worst, violate peoples' rights and then act surprised when citizens call them out on it. Police pulled over a minority student from Detroit who is trying to honestly improve his life through hard work. This kid did absolutely nothing wrong. The cop thought the color of the kid's car may have matched the color of a car that was driving on a sidewalk. That's not suspicion. People are allowed to travel at night unmolested. That's what this kid was doing. When the kid tried to protect himself, he gets put in cuffs and is charged with a felony. He's threatened that he could lose his job and lose his financial aid. Do you call that police working for you? The prosecutor is in on it too. He tries to cut a deal with the kid so that pd can try to save face and make it look like the cops weren't totally in the wrong (which they were). Luckily, popular opinion was on this kid's side and the charges were dropped.

This "open communication" leading to improvement is a farce. People have the right to remain silent. It's the Fifth Amendment. What you don't say can't be used against you in a court of law. Cops try to force things out of people by saying "If you have nothing to hide, then you'll talk to us." Pure bs. No one has to talk to cops and I recommend they don't.

DAC

Post by DAC » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:29 pm

I've heard that MY 5 is hurting for advertising revenue. Maybe you could buy some time and we could all enjoy "Lovin' Life's Pro Criminal News at 10:58" every night.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:07 am

DAC, why would you call the minority, unarmed, innocent SVSU student from Detroit and everyone else that I have described having a bad experience with cops a criminal? The police and prosecutor tried to make the SVSU student a criminal, but he stood up for his rights and won.

If you want to take the police's side on this, be my guest. But it's wrong.

DAC

Post by DAC » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:16 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:DAC, why would you call the minority, unarmed, innocent SVSU student from Detroit and everyone else that I have described having a bad experience with cops a criminal? The police and prosecutor tried to make the SVSU student a criminal, but he stood up for his rights and won.

If you want to take the police's side on this, be my guest. But it's wrong.
I wasn't talking about that case in particular, just your nearly comical way of pointing out every kind of story like this you can get your hands on and pass it off as the norm. It's NOT the norm. As someone pointed out, you can pick whatever group you want and you will find misdeeds and other problems. Why don't you pick accountants next? Perhaps because that kind of news doesn't make the tongues wag like these "hot topic" kinds of stories do. If you were able to ride along with a police officer, you'd see what the actual norm is, and it's not pretty.

As for the instance you mentioned in your quote: Since you brought it up, when the cop attempted to pull him over, he didn't know if it was an unarmed minority or not. The trouble didn't start until the guy did NOT pull over, which is the law that he broke. Is it a bad law? Possibly. Is driving to a well lit place a safer option? Probably. But until the law is changed, not stopping when an officer pulls you over is breaking the law. Police are supposed to uphold the law, weather it's common sense or not. That's their job. Changing the laws so that they are safer and make more sense is the job of lawmakers. The prosecutor (again, not police) obviously misfired on this one, but last I checked this has resolved.

Have you considered putting your passion about this topic into lobbying for a change in the law, rather than bellyaching about the news coverage being pro-police (and pointing out errors on tv news websites)? The energy is going to waste.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:45 pm

You tell em DAC...

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:16 pm

DAC, thanks once again for proving my point. You say the norm isn't pretty. Neither is the "non-norm" that you describe as police behaving badly.

If you weren't speaking about the specific case, which one or ones were you talking about? I just want to make sure I note who you are calling a criminal.

Did you see this one? http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Just a few guys standing with their hands up until police decide to shoot them.

Feel free to continue to support these kinds of actions by police. I on the other hand want to keep public officials accountable to the people who pay their salaries.

This innocent, unarmed minority student from Detroit used his common sense and street smarts to protect himself. He's probably alive today because of it. He drove a safe speed to a well-lit area. If he sped away, well, you know what often happens in high speed chases. He did not know it was a legitimate police officer trying to pull him over. His relatives found that out the hard way when they were robbed by fake police. Do you support people not protecting themselves? You think everyone should pull over even if the person with a siren and flashers is a fake cop?

He did not know it was a real police officer. And as you said, he was not liable of a crime, so why did you say he broke the law? Police officers have what's called "discretion." They don't have to write you up for everything you allegedly did. So your point is moot.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:25 pm

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:40 pm

I could say "The cow jumped over the moon" and you'd say "Thanks for proving my point". You aren't accomplishing anything. This topic is going on "ignore".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic