Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bias chart: Do you agree?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Y M Ionhere

Bias chart: Do you agree?

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:43 am

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/blog/2016/12/ ... ive-chart/

I couldnt upload the chart by itself so you'll have to settle for the smaller version here. Ive noticed no Daily Kos, Newsmax or Townhall on there.

TC Shuts Up

Re: Bias chart: Do you agree?

Post by TC Shuts Up » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:51 am

Based on her Facebook Page, she's a rabid Liberal, so no, I don't agree. She seems to be trying to appear "fair", but she really isn't.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:05 am

I don't see anything out of place there...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:40 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:Based on her Facebook Page, she's a rabid Liberal, so no, I don't agree. She seems to be trying to appear "fair", but she really isn't.
so what is out of place? Don't just blast the author blast the content.
I have seen other similar charts that sort of look like that.
I have recently begun to listen to NPR through WUOM 91.7 regularly as I give up on 97.1 till late August/ early September. I think they do a decent job of maintaining some balance but I would nudge them a little more left of center than the chart has.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:51 am

I was surprised to see CNN dead center, as lately there has been some criticism directed at them about "fake news" or inaccurate stories giving Democrats a boost. Fox News was placed farther right but I think lately, public opinion would place CNN equally left.I also read a few issues of the New York Times and felt a very strong Left-wing bias-not just the editorials, but the stories and the way they were reported came off as very specifically selected based on ideology. Wall street Journal also strikes me as a little more right of center judging by the majority of editorials.
Where would you place Daily Kos in relation to Huffpo and Occupy Democrats? Where would Newsmax and Townhall fall in comparison to National Review, which is basically a semi-moderate Conservative op-ed forum?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:45 am

I have a simple test meter. If they say anti-choice they are left wing.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:02 pm

audiophile wrote:I have a simple test meter. If they say anti-choice they are left wing.
For the umpteenth time for the grammatically challenged: pro-choice and anti-choice are equivalent... pro-life and pro-choice are not.

Not very many people say anti-choice anyways... but if you don't want abortions to happen then you are inherently against (anti) the choice to do that... it's kind of hard to dispute that credibly...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:01 pm

Sorry, that is your opinion...

Pro-life & Pro-choice means no bias to me.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Your assertion that pro-choice is correct term is scientifically incorrect. The fetus has no choice even though they are in living state and struggling to survive.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:12 pm

audiophile wrote:Your assertion that pro-choice is correct term is scientifically incorrect. The fetus has no choice even they are in living state.
We are talking what adults do... they are in control here... a fetus cannot possibly make a choice... I'd hate to have somebody force me to carry anything around in my body I didn't want... it's not a very conservative position really to strive for that to be the case.... it's rather dictatorial in fact...

Nobody is talking about the fetus having a "choice" in the matter anyways... I think you know that...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:18 pm

So with your tacit admission that it isn't really pro-choice because only one party has a choice, then right term would be pro-abortion...

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 pm

audiophile wrote:So with your tacit admission that it isn't really pro-choice because only one party has a choice, then right term would be pro-abortion...
Huh?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:27 pm

I don't have a problem with "pro choice" and "pro life" since everybody knows what we are talking about and each side likes the term to describe what they represent.
I believe the "pro choice" crowd doesn't like the term "pro life" because it isn't negative sounding.
Since "choice" is a generic term maybe we should settle on "pro abortion" and "anti abortion".

I no longer directly engage trolls

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:30 pm

EDIT: Good explanation Craig.

My point NS: is that Pro-choice is an obvious misnomer but it is what they want to be called...

In the same way Pro-life is what the other side wants to be called.
Last edited by audiophile on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:31 pm

I know this is off-topic, and I generally avoid abortion arguments at all costs, but I just have to respond to this....
NS8401 wrote:We are talking what adults do... they are in control here... a fetus cannot possibly make a choice... I'd hate to have somebody force me to carry anything around in my body I didn't want... it's not a very conservative position really to strive for that to be the case.... it's rather dictatorial in fact...
Can a baby that has just been born make a choice? Would you hate to have somebody force you as a parent of a newborn to care for a child that you didn't want? Is it dictatorial to force a parent of a newborn to not kill their newborn?

My point being, the pro-life, pro-choice, anti-choice, anti-life, or whatever other phrase you want to use to describe this debate boils down to one question and one question only - is an unborn fetus a life? If it is, then the same rules which apply to living people should apply. If it is not a life, then the "choice" portion of the argument becomes irrelevant because the only relevant point is that it is not illegal to destroy and discard a non-living human. To lay out the argument in terms of a woman's choice is a red herring to the real issue here....the life of an unborn child, and whether that unborn child should have rights.

Also, I would add, if you didn't want the baby, you shouldn't have engaged in sexual intercourse. Or are you going to tell me that THAT behavior was NOT a choice? The libertarian in you should agree that caring for the child that results from your actions of choice is a matter of personal responsibility. I always thought libertarians were big on personal responsibility for one's own actions.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic