Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another Snyder failure...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Another Snyder failure...

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:29 pm

A computer system Snyder wanted the Unemployment Insurance Agency to implement at a cost of $47 million has resulted in tens of thousands of false fraud determinations, has financially devastated families' lives, has even caused some affected victims to commit suicide, and the only lip serve the Governor could give is..."it's not a good situation."

Snyder is a heartless piece of shit.

He ignored the situation for months...and months...and months. Or maybe his Chief of Staff simply didn't tell him about it. (After all, Snyder apparently talks to his department heads and mid-level department officials next to never.)

The Snyder Administration's record:
-Crumbling roads
-Top 3 highest auto insurance rates in the country
-Dozens dying from legionella and pneumonia in Genesee County thanks to poisonous water whose existence the DEQ denied for many months ("relax...the water is safe")
-A political crony (a former Snyder campaign manager) running the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans into the ground, resulting in abhorrent treatment for our military heroes
-Decrepit, rat infested, unsafe public schools in the city of Detroit
-And now...tens of thousands falsely accused of unemployment insurance fraud, and as a result, facing garnished wages and granished tax refund checks. Many, many months later, some refunds have *finally* been given.

http://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/crimi ... id=2353533
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /96411400/
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /96205168/

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 8570

Re: Another Snyder failure...

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:46 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:A computer system Snyder wanted the Unemployment Insurance Agency to implement at a cost of $47 million has resulted in tens of thousands of false fraud determinations, has financially devastated families' lives, has even caused some affected victims to commit suicide, and the only lip serve the Governor could give is..."it's not a good situation."

Snyder is a heartless piece of shit.

He ignored the situation for months...and months...and months. Or maybe his Chief of Staff simply didn't tell him about it. (After all, Snyder apparently talks to his department heads and mid-level department officials next to never.)

The Snyder Administration's record:
-Crumbling roads
-Top 3 highest auto insurance rates in the country
-Dozens dying from legionella and pneumonia in Genesee County thanks to poisonous water whose existence the DEQ denied for many months ("relax...the water is safe")
-A political crony (a former Snyder campaign manager) running the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans into the ground, resulting in abhorrent treatment for our military heroes
-Decrepit, rat infested, unsafe public schools in the city of Detroit
-And now...tens of thousands falsely accused of unemployment insurance fraud, and as a result, facing garnished wages and granished tax refund checks. Many, many months later, some refunds have *finally* been given.

http://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/crimi ... id=2353533
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /96411400/
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /96205168/
Deroits schools were bad long before Snyder and even then I'm not sure what he could really do about it...

Not sure auto insurance rates are his fault either... that no fault law has existed since 1973... it's the real culprit of high rates and has been for a long time...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:09 pm

He hasn't done jack shit to address the outrageous auto insurance rates. That was the point I was trying to make. You are right; he inherited the problem. He still has an obligation to try to fix it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:15 pm

Our auto insurance might be less if we didn't crash with 1.5" of snow.

Michiganders often have very poor tires for winter driving.

Admittedly the $135/yr charge per vehicle, per year for uninsured motorist is outrageous.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:13 pm

The state's unlawful confiscation of monies from those falsely accused of unemployment insurance fraud is going to become Snyder's next Flint.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:43 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:He hasn't done jack shit to address the outrageous auto insurance rates. That was the point I was trying to make. You are right; he inherited the problem. He still has an obligation to try to fix it.
No he hasn't... certainly the old Tort "everybody sue each other for damages" system wouldn't work either... I'm not sure what you do to fix it...

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:18 am

Part of my reason for living in Ohio is Auto insurance, A policy for my 2008 Kia for 6 months is about 400$ with a high deductible. The Same policy(or equivalent to it) in MI is over 1000$, this is with a clean driving record. Monroe county where I got the quote for. Sometime ago, I considered buying a home in Bedford twp. In The Toledo area you kind of have an option of living over the state line as Bedford twp is a suburb of Toledo. Going down 23, when you cross over the state line the difference of road quality stark.

I believe MT,MI, and LA are the highest state for auto insurance. I know of a few Companies that wont even write an Auto Policy for MI.

The only thing I'll say good Synder did was right to work, other then that it doesn't seem like a lot of progress has been made.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:39 pm

MWmetalhead wrote: ... A computer system Snyder wanted the Unemployment Insurance Agency to implement at a cost of $47 million has resulted in tens of thousands of false fraud determinations, has financially devastated families' lives, has even caused some affected victims to commit suicide .../
Is this the same computer system that in October, leaked 1.87 million social security numbers, names, and wages of those on unemployment?
So on top of all the problems you listed, now identify theft.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:03 am

1027BrianFM wrote:The only thing I'll say good Synder did was right to work, other then that it doesn't seem like a lot of progress has been made.
The problem with Right to Work is that it didn't include a pay-to-play provision. As a union member, I support anyone's right not to join a bargaining unit. It is, however, unfair that those who choose not to pay union dues get to enjoy the same representation benefits as members who do pay their admission price. Requiring a union to represent non-members makes no sense. It puts an undue financial burden on the union and is a slap in the face to those of us who actually pay for representation. If someone doesn't want to join a union, fine, but why should they get something for nothing?
Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:08 am

Is this the same computer system that in October, leaked 1.87 million social security numbers, names, and wages of those on unemployment?
So on top of all the problems you listed, now identify theft.
Indeed it is! The system is known as MiDAS.

My understanding (if we are to believe the dishonest scumbags in state government) is that only HR personnel from employers and UIA officials were able to see the leaked info. How that assessment was made, I don't know.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:30 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
1027BrianFM wrote:The only thing I'll say good Synder did was right to work, other then that it doesn't seem like a lot of progress has been made.
The problem with Right to Work is that it didn't include a pay-to-play provision. As a union member, I support anyone's right not to join a bargaining unit. It is, however, unfair that those who choose not to pay union dues get to enjoy the same representation benefits as members who do pay their admission price. Requiring a union to represent non-members makes no sense. It puts an undue financial burden on the union and is a slap in the face to those of us who actually pay for representation. If someone doesn't want to join a union, fine, but why should they get something for nothing?
Because the idea was to seriously weaken and ultimately collapse the unions not be fair to all sides... that they were able to do it here is nothing short of remarkable...

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:09 am

NS8401 wrote: Because the idea was to seriously weaken and ultimately collapse the unions not be fair to all sides... that they were able to do it here is nothing short of remarkable...
I have no doubt that the requirement to represent non-members was a union-busting tactic. They knew that it would be a financial burden for unions to cover workers who didn't pony up the dues. Fortunately, the impact on my particular bargaining unit was minimal with only a small percentage of opt-outs. I have no problem investing one hour of my wages every two weeks for the benefits I get in return.

I'm pragmatic when it comes to labor unions. I realize that unions aren't perfect, and are susceptible to the same issues as the companies they deal with. There are good unions, bad unions, and everything in-between. Laws like Right to Work, however, aim to paint all unions and their members with one broad brush instead of approaching reform of poor practices on a case-by-case basis. Any kind of broad-brush legislation doesn't sit well with a pragmatic like me.

The way I see it, the fair and logical approach in Right to Work would have been to give workers the right to refuse dues and forfeit representation. You don't pay for your ticket....you don't get into the ball park. Right to Work was pushed as a way for employees to evaluate the pluses and minuses of belonging to a union, but how can you expect any employee to reasonably determine the value of the cow when they already get the milk for free?
Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic