Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Trump Inherits Obama Boom

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 8570

Trump Inherits Obama Boom

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:46 pm

An overview from Politico of what Truno is inheriting.... a relatively robust economy.
The president is handing his successor an economy that's now the envy of the world.

NEW YORK — On the campaign trail, Donald Trump repeatedly described the U.S. economy as a hollowed-out disaster of high unemployment and stagnant growth.

But the latest numbers show the president-elect will in fact inherit a fairly robust economy with the lowest jobless rate in nearly a decade, record home and stock prices and a healthy growth rate.

It’s a radically different position from the one President-elect Barack Obama found himself in 2008 with markets crashing, the financial crisis spinning out of control and joblessness headed toward 10 percent.

Trump instead will take office with an economy near full employment and wages and spending rising. The economy is in such strong shape that the Federal Reserve is likely to raise interest rates again later this month to try and cool things off.

“President-elect Trump will inherit a much stronger economy than his predecessor did,” Standard & Poor’s economists said this week. “Largely forgotten in all the rhetoric and fanfare of the campaign is the fact that data show the world's largest economy continuing to expand at a reasonably good pace.”

The recent gains are now allowing outgoing Obama officials to take something of a victory lap as they head out the door.

“I’ve been here eight years and it is really exciting to see that number, 4.6 percent. I didn’t think I’d ever see the unemployment rate that low,” Jason Furman, chairman of Obama’s Council of Economic Advisers, told CNBC on Friday. “It’s fallen more than half. It’s because we’ve just created these steady jobs, month after month, 15.6 million of them in the private sector.”

The latest positive news came Friday, with the government reporting a gain of 178,000 jobs in November and the jobless rate falling to 4.6 percent, the lowest level since August 2007.

Some of the drop came from a decline in the size of the labor force. But the trend in the labor force has been up. Wages ticked down slightly in November after a large gain in October. But take-home pay is now rising at a solid annual rate of 2.5 percent.

And other major economic indicators are rising fast.

U.S. house prices this week hit new record highs, finally erasing the steep declines following the financial crisis. The Dow Jones Industrial Average on Thursday closed at another record high, hitting 19,191. The Nasdaq and Standard & Poor’s 500 also hit records last month. Consumer spending and incomes are both rising at a solid pace.

“Between surging consumer confidence levels, a booming stock market and home prices back above pre-recession levels, a number of boxes indicative of a healthy economy are being checked off,” Bankrate.com senior economist Mark Hamrick said in a note on Friday.

Put together, the picture is radically different than the one painted by Trump on the campaign trail, where he railed repeatedly against the Obama economy. “We have no growth right now," Trump said in August. “The country's a disaster.”

On the campaign trail in February he suggested the government’s numbers were faked.

“Don't believe those phony numbers when you hear 4.9 and 5 percent unemployment,” Trump said in his victory speech after the New Hampshire primary. “The number's probably 28, 29, as high as 35. In fact, I even heard recently 42 percent.”

No figures ever backed up Trump’s claims of soaring joblessness and no growth. The economy grew at a 3.2 percent pace in the third quarter. It could slow down again in the final quarter of the year. But the pace of job growth remains quick enough to keep the jobless rate falling and wages rising as employers compete for a smaller share of available workers.

“The labor market is pretty healthy and it’s clearly growing enough to stabilize the jobless rate,” said Jim O’Sullivan of High Frequency Economics. “In fact it’s booming relative to our underlying demographics right now.”

Despite the strong overall numbers, the economy is far from perfect and Trump and other Republicans continue to focus on pockets of weakness — including in manufacturing states in the Rust Belt that delivered the GOP nominee his stunning Electoral College victory last month despite losing the popular vote by over 2 million.

The November jobs report showed manufacturing employment declining for the fourth month in a row. Workers without at least a high school diploma continue to suffer far higher jobless rates while the unemployment rate for those with a college degree or higher is just 2.3 percent. Productivity gains remain low and the U.S. corporate tax code continues to discourage companies from expanding domestically.

Trump went to Indiana on Thursday to tout a deal with Carrier to keep around 1,000 jobs in the state that were slated to move to Mexico. The deal reportedly offered $7 million in tax breaks to Carrier and the company still plans to move more than 1,000 jobs south of the border.

Still, Republicans say Trump’s plans for lower tax rates and fewer regulations will unleash even faster and more widespread growth and keep more jobs in the U.S. “We need to create more opportunities for all Americans,” House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady said in a statement after the jobs report. “For eight years, the American people have watched Washington focus on everything but jobs — and that’s about to change. I’m very pleased that the incoming Trump administration is already making it clear that job creation and economic growth are their top priorities.”

The question for economists, however, is whether Trump’s recipe is actually what the economy needs. While there is widespread agreement that the U.S. corporate tax code is broken and in need of a fix, there is far less consensus around the kind of massive individual rate cuts Trump is proposing — not to mention his trillion-dollar infrastructure package and calls for a boost in defense spending — that could increase the long-term debt and deficit.

“This is an economy that’s pretty close to full employment. It would have been great to have even more fiscal stimulus eight years ago but I don’t know that’s the case now,” said Luke Bartholomew, Fixed Income Investment Manager at Aberdeen Asset Management. “There’s clearly a case for infrastructure spending and taking advantage of rates that are this low. But big individual rate cuts especially for high earners to unleash this kind of supply side magic that they think works, I don’t think the evidence is very strong for that.”

And Democrats are using the strong economic numbers to argue for keeping Obama’s approach to the economy in place rather than switching to big across-the-board tax cuts. “Today’s jobs numbers show just how far we have come in the past eight years. When President Obama took office in 2009, we were losing 800,000 jobs every month,” Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.), the ranking member of the Joint Economic Committee, said on Friday. “I hope that the Trump administration and congressional Republicans will not undermine the great progress we have made by taking us back to the policies that led to the Great Recession in the first place.”

Bryce

Re: Trump Inherits Obama Boom

Post by Bryce » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:56 pm

Boom?

Everyone is excited about the 3.2% growth in GDP for the third quarter of 2016. "It's the strongest in two years." they trumpet. Um, people, the average GDP growth from 1947 through 2016 is 3.23%. People are claiming a "boom" for a growth rate that is below average? If it were a Bush in the White House the headline would read, " GDP Growth Below Average". With Obama, it's a "boom".

What was the 4.9 percent Reagan brought forth after the recession? A "orgasm"?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:59 pm

Bryce wrote:Boom?

Everyone is excited about the 3.2% growth in GDP for the third quarter of 2016. "It's the strongest in two years." they trumpet. Um, people, the average GDP growth from 1947 through 2016 is 3.23%. People are claiming a "boom" for a growth rate that is below average? If it were a Bush in the White House the headline would read, " GDP Growth Below Average". With Obama, it's a "boom".

What was the 4.9 percent Reagan brought forth after the recession? A "orgasm"?
Also a boom but conditions were different... there wasn't a massive baby boom generation retiring at the same time that jobs you can get with no college (which the middle class thrived on) dry up. You're comparing apples and steaks...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:44 am

This is hardly a boom.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:01 am

“I’ve been here eight years and it is really exciting to see that number, 4.6 percent. I didn’t think I’d ever see the unemployment rate that low,” Jason Furman, chairman of Obama’s Council of Economic Advisers, told CNBC on Friday. “It’s fallen more than half. It’s because we’ve just created these steady jobs, month after month, 15.6 million of them in the private sector.”
You have no role in creating jobs in the private sector, you dope. We are not currently in an economic boom, and the economy has very little to do with the president.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:37 am

Matt wrote:
You have no role in creating jobs in the private sector, you dope. We are not currently in an economic boom, and the economy has very little to do with the president.
We is the USA not him you dope. And relative to the rest of the developed world oh yes we are.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:08 am

NS8401 wrote:
Matt wrote:
We is the USA not him you dope. And relative to the rest of the developed world oh yes we are.
We don't compare ourselves to the rest of the world in terms of economic growth. We compare ourselves to our past periods of economic growth. An administration member saying we is definitely trying to give credit to the administration.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:16 am

Matt wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
Matt wrote:
We don't compare ourselves to the rest of the world in terms of economic growth. We compare ourselves to our past periods of economic growth. An administration member saying we is definitely trying to give credit to the administration.
Not exactly... not even close. Our past economic growth is tough to achieve right now, our aging population with fewer and fewer children to support and spend lots of money on coupled with retiring boomers is not a recipe for 5-7% growth. It's viewed by economists as unsustainable at this point. Even still developing China is only managing 7% and they've had to rig it to prop it up that high. Global growth is slow and relative to the rest of the world we are doing pretty good. You can't compare the situation now with the postwar period before about 2000. This is a very different dynamic. Trump can't make it grow faster, tax cuts can't make it grow faster (see Kansas), deregulation can't make it grow faster either.

jry

Post by jry » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Such BS. It is amazing to me that we're all still surviving with the amount of people that have left the workforce. Something like one- third of the working adults have given up...
False inflation numbers, as well, being kept artificially low so to keep Social Security from going up. Screwing old people- THAT'S Obamas legacy.

jry

Post by jry » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Such BS. It is amazing to me that we're all still surviving with the amount of people that have left the workforce. Something like one- third of the working adults have given up...
False inflation numbers, as well, being kept artificially low so to keep Social Security from going up. Screwing old people- THAT'S Obamas legacy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:23 pm

jry wrote:Such BS. It is amazing to me that we're all still surviving with the amount of people that have left the workforce. Something like one- third of the working adults have given up...
The vast majority of folks who have given up were less than 10 years from retirement... boomers...

Inflation IS actually low... nobody is cooking the books just because you don't like the result of the reality...

jry

Post by jry » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:08 pm

Inflation isn't low, NS. Fuel prices are, but a trip to any grocery store will tell the real story. Real cost of living, items that you cannot live without, have gone way up.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:26 pm

jry wrote:Inflation isn't low, NS. Fuel prices are, but a trip to any grocery store will tell the real story. Real cost of living, items that you cannot live without, have gone way up.
Rents and wages which have been rising have been pushing inflation slightly higher. Reagan could only dream of inflation this low... he never had much below 3.5% for his entire presidency. Bush largely had similar results... don't bother pegging it on oil either because prices fell in the 80's and rose in the 00's.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic