Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Obama's War On The Suburbs

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Mega Hertz

Re: Obama's War On The Suburbs

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue May 24, 2016 1:28 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Bryce wrote:Democrat control and programs have fucked up our inner cities almost beyond repair. Now they want to destroy the suburbs too.
Agree. If this is such an issue, why not just dump the money or create legislation to make the inner-city more affordable and better to live in? Ideally, this would allow the finer citizens who want to escape the drugs and gangs and robberies and have a better quality of life. Instead, for every two of those citizens that finally make it to a better area, I see those that like being on the lower rung of society making their way out here to live. And eventually, that will bring those property values down.
Bryce wrote: this "con" also be a way to dilute the Republican voting stronghold in certain areas to influence Congressional races?
I wouldn't be surprised if this had even a LITTLE bit to do with it. While Oakland is generally a red county, and Wayne firmly in the blue election after election, Macomb can be kind of a mixed bag. I don't see it being enough of an impact in Oakland County to throw it to the Democrats, but if it works well enough, it could help the margin wider in favor of the Democrats in Macomb. That's not to say it was teetering red, but with more development the further north here in Macomb, as opposed to years past with Sterling Heights and Warren being the big dogs with the Arabic population and numerous auto plants, there's been a shift. Places like Chesterfield, Algonac, Shelby Twp., etc., are expanding and have generally voted Republican. Add some liberal Detroiters to the mix, and that blows away any ground the Republican party has made north of M-59 and east of Romeo Plank.

Now this isn't all to blame on those pesky, unethical Democrats (because we ALL know how squeaky clean the right is...........). Perhaps instead of hand-wringing and pants shitting, how about the Republicans fight fire with fire. Its scary that no other person on the right in this thread has stood up and said anything about reaching out to the blacks, to the Latinos, etc. You know...worry about how they could potentially reach that voting block. It reeks of defeatism by assuming that just because they're there that they're voting Democrat. Get to them before the Democrats do. Otherwise, you're just plain being lazy and whiny.
Obama won Oakland twice... Just sayin'...
Oh I know. But you'll generally find that Oakland swings Republican. I was shocked when Obama pulled Oakland!
Generally but that tide is slowly shifting...
I suppose so. I guess I can't be too surprised. IIRC, the last time Michigan went Republican was in 1988 for Bush. Since then, it's been straight Democrat. But prior to 1992, we were fairly Republican. I have to wonder why the shift in 1992 and why it's been that way since?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:57 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Bryce wrote:Democrat control and programs have fucked up our inner cities almost beyond repair. Now they want to destroy the suburbs too.
Agree. If this is such an issue, why not just dump the money or create legislation to make the inner-city more affordable and better to live in? Ideally, this would allow the finer citizens who want to escape the drugs and gangs and robberies and have a better quality of life. Instead, for every two of those citizens that finally make it to a better area, I see those that like being on the lower rung of society making their way out here to live. And eventually, that will bring those property values down.
Bryce wrote: this "con" also be a way to dilute the Republican voting stronghold in certain areas to influence Congressional races?
I wouldn't be surprised if this had even a LITTLE bit to do with it. While Oakland is generally a red county, and Wayne firmly in the blue election after election, Macomb can be kind of a mixed bag. I don't see it being enough of an impact in Oakland County to throw it to the Democrats, but if it works well enough, it could help the margin wider in favor of the Democrats in Macomb. That's not to say it was teetering red, but with more development the further north here in Macomb, as opposed to years past with Sterling Heights and Warren being the big dogs with the Arabic population and numerous auto plants, there's been a shift. Places like Chesterfield, Algonac, Shelby Twp., etc., are expanding and have generally voted Republican. Add some liberal Detroiters to the mix, and that blows away any ground the Republican party has made north of M-59 and east of Romeo Plank.

Now this isn't all to blame on those pesky, unethical Democrats (because we ALL know how squeaky clean the right is...........). Perhaps instead of hand-wringing and pants shitting, how about the Republicans fight fire with fire. Its scary that no other person on the right in this thread has stood up and said anything about reaching out to the blacks, to the Latinos, etc. You know...worry about how they could potentially reach that voting block. It reeks of defeatism by assuming that just because they're there that they're voting Democrat. Get to them before the Democrats do. Otherwise, you're just plain being lazy and whiny.
Obama won Oakland twice... Just sayin'...
Oh I know. But you'll generally find that Oakland swings Republican. I was shocked when Obama pulled Oakland!
Generally but that tide is slowly shifting...
I suppose so. I guess I can't be too surprised. IIRC, the last time Michigan went Republican was in 1988 for Bush. Since then, it's been straight Democrat. But prior to 1992, we were fairly Republican. I have to wonder why the shift in 1992 and why it's been that way since?
Probably demographic shifts and the Democrats better message on economic issues that resonates with blue collar voters here. Traditionally Republicans win on defense issues and Democrats on Economic ones...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue May 24, 2016 3:09 pm

NS8401 wrote: Probably demographic shifts.
http://affordablehousingonline.com/hous ... nd-County/

Detroit Housing Commission - Oakland County
Section 8 Waiting List Status: Open Indefinitely

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:48 pm

Bryce wrote:
NS8401 wrote: Probably demographic shifts.
http://affordablehousingonline.com/hous ... nd-County/

Detroit Housing Commission - Oakland County
Section 8 Waiting List Status: Open Indefinitely
So you agree that would bring such shifts?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 24, 2016 6:35 pm

Oakland County has been closed since July of 2015.

Traverse City Housing Commission has been Closed since on October 23rd, 2015 The Traverse City Housing Commission covers locations within a 50-mile radius of the main office, which includes the Counties of Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Leelanau and Wexford, MI. You see why we have a need to get zoning issues addressed? We are 3000 units too low in our region.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:51 pm

TC Talks wrote:Oakland County has been closed since July of 2015.

Traverse City Housing Commission has been Closed since on October 23rd, 2015 The Traverse City Housing Commission covers locations within a 50-mile radius of the main office, which includes the Counties of Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Leelanau and Wexford, MI. You see why we have a need to get zoning issues addressed? We are 3000 units too low in our region.
We should also address getting these people jobs...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed May 25, 2016 11:13 am

Government building housing is a bad idea.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 25, 2016 11:11 pm

audiophile wrote:Government building housing is a bad idea.
I bet we are on the same side of this conversation. I agree with you, and that's not how affordable housing gets built, this is an attack on private developers. Tax Credits and a bit of grant funding is usually motivation for developers. BUT when your zoning consultant advises your ordinances to be just hard enough to make affordable housing projects not profitable, you have an issue. This is the crux of this issue; Suburbs that create zoning that makes development of Affordable Housing too expensive will now lose federal funds. This is developer vs county, and the government is siding with the developers. That is why Bryce is a hack. He thinks this is about poverty.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 25, 2016 11:17 pm

NS8401 wrote:We should also address getting these people jobs...
Ever try to get a job when you are homeless? Tell how that might work. Minimum wage pays about $16,000 a year, rent for a one bedroom in Oakland County is about $9000 a year. Explain to me how this math works out...

There are developers ready to build more cost affordable housing. http://www.wodagroup.com/affordable-housing-services

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:08 am

TC Talks wrote:
Ever try to get a job when you are homeless? Tell how that might work. Minimum wage pays about $16,000 a year, rent for a one bedroom in Oakland County is about $9000 a year. Explain to me how this math works out...

There are developers ready to build more cost affordable housing. http://www.wodagroup.com/affordable-housing-services
Improve your skills, stop making excuses guy... The services are out there to get the ability to make minimum wage. The homeless aren't moving into these things or there would be far fewer homeless people. Try again.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 26, 2016 9:22 am

TC Talks wrote: That is why Bryce is a hack. He thinks this is about poverty.
No, it's not about poverty, I don't believe I said it was. This is about forced racial and economic diversity into areas that don't have the utopian makeup they think those areas should. It's the forced busing of the sixties and seventies.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 26, 2016 9:34 am

TC Talks wrote:

Two people share an apartment? They do make roll out and sofa beds.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:49 am

Bryce wrote:
TC Talks wrote: That is why Bryce is a hack. He thinks this is about poverty.
No, it's not about poverty, I don't believe I said it was. This is about forced racial and economic diversity into areas that don't have the utopian makeup they think those areas should. It's the forced busing of the sixties and seventies.
As I recall that just made things worse.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu May 26, 2016 10:07 am

The problem with roommates is that even if you think you know them, you don't know them. I talk to college age kids every week, and about 90% of them have very negative experiences with roommates. If they are in college, they (90% anyway) can't wait to get out of dormitories. They want apartments and houses with locking bedroom doors if they share them. Differing views on drugs, relationships, and sharing possessions are big problems with roommates. A large proportion try to drive roommates out.

Very small individual houses are becoming more common. But developers don't want to build them because there is not enough money in selling them. Really small houses increase construction costs per square foot greatly, reducing margins. And resale prices aren't that good either. Mobile homes usually don't appreciate, and except in small towns, attract unsavory characters.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 27, 2016 2:49 am

NS8401 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:Oakland County has been closed since July of 2015.

We should also address getting these people jobs...
Agreed. I'm sure there are some benefits/tax credits/loopholes that would allow those that live in section 8 to find meaningful employment. And not just some McJob where we would find ourselves arguing the minimum wage needs to be $24.00 per hour. Career building. Getting you off the dole and becoming a productive member of society. I'm sure there's some, but not everyone that is on the dole and living gubmint check to gubmint check in Section 8 actively enjoys it and wants to be there forever.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic