Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Congratulations GOP

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: Congratulations GOP

Post by Bryce » Thu May 05, 2016 7:40 am

There is a much easier way than the one you suggest.

Political parties, being private organizations, have the ability to make their own rules. There would be nothing stopping them from changing the rules prior to the first ballot. They could unbind the delegates and allow them to vote in "good faith and conscience" even though T Rump has met the current threshold. The rules committee would have to propose it and It would then take a majority vote of the seated delegates.

T Rump would blow a gasket and most likely sue, but he doesn't stand a chance of winning the suit because national party rules trump (yeah, I said trump) state rules. The Democrats did it back in the 70's and it was upheld by the SCOTUS.

See Cousins v Wigoda

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/419/477/
Last edited by Bryce on Thu May 05, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 05, 2016 7:45 am

I thought that rule changes can only be made at the end of the convention.

“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 05, 2016 7:46 am

Nope. Rules committee meets prior to convention.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu May 05, 2016 8:16 am

I see a lot of chatter about doing whatever it takes to stop Trump...

I'm not sure anything will actually happen other than Trump losing the general.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:48 am

Bryce wrote:Nope. Rules committee meets prior to convention.
So what would preventing Trump from being nominated do exactly? You've already lost 2016 and there is little hope for 2020 at this point. Telling all those Trump voters (of which Trump has the most votes of any Republican primary contender in history) to scree off isn't going to win you anything at all. It'll lose you the senate, the Supreme Court and the presidency. The house will be in play. Conservatism just dropped dead.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu May 05, 2016 8:53 am

If Hillary wins and the economy tanks, then 2020 might be our finest hour. At least we will have vision.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 05, 2016 9:02 am

audiophile wrote:If Hillary wins and the economy tanks, then 2020 might be our finest hour. At least we will have vision.
Lots of IF's never see the light of day. Given the successful economy the last Clinton had plus the way things are today, how do you imagine the Democrats would do worse than the GOP has done (Bush's wars for example)
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:31 am

audiophile wrote:If Hillary wins and the economy tanks, then 2020 might be our finest hour. At least we will have vision.
If you're all hated and negatively viewed then no way Jose...

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 05, 2016 11:22 am

NS8401 wrote:
So what would preventing Trump from being nominated do exactly? You've already lost 2016 and there is little hope for 2020 at this point. Telling all those Trump voters (of which Trump has the most votes of any Republican primary contender in history) to scree off isn't going to win you anything at all. It'll lose you the senate, the Supreme Court and the presidency. The house will be in play. Conservatism just dropped dead.
You don't quite understand math, do you?

NS claim: Clinton won a majority in 1996

Fact: Clinton only won 49.2% of the vote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... tion,_1996

NS claim: Democrats are the majority party

Facts: Republican governors- 31/50 62%, Republican senators- 54/100 54%, 234/435 54%

Pardon me if I take your proclamation that conservatism is dead with a grain of salt.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:27 am

Matt wrote:
NS8401 wrote:

Fact: Clinton only won 49.2% of the vote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... tion,_1996

Facts: Republican governors- 31/50 62%, Republican senators- 54/100 54%, 234/435 54%

Pardon me if I take your proclamation that conservatism is dead with a grain of salt.
The house has been gerrymandered that way. The senate will continue to alternate between the Democrats and Republicans every two years for the foreseeable future because Democrats don't vote in midterms like Republicans do. While the GOP is holding state houses (more gerrymandering) and governorships, the country is rapidly trending leftward. More Americans identify as democrats than republicans... You can spin all you want but the future of your party and movement is bleak.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 05, 2016 3:45 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Matt wrote:
NS8401 wrote:

The house has been gerrymandered that way. The senate will continue to alternate between the Democrats and Republicans every two years for the foreseeable future because Democrats don't vote in midterms like Republicans do. While the GOP is holding state houses (more gerrymandering) and governorships, the country is rapidly trending leftward. More Americans identify as democrats than republicans... You can spin all you want but the future of your party and movement is bleak.
You guys haven't won a majority in the popular without a novelty candidate in 40 years. While I fully expect Hillary to beat the clown, I think the Obama elections are more of an anomaly than you are acknowledging.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:24 pm

Matt wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
Matt wrote:
NS8401 wrote:

You guys haven't won a majority in the popular without a novelty candidate in 40 years. While I fully expect Hillary to beat the clown, I think the Obama elections are more of an anomaly than you are acknowledging.
The US went through a Conservative and religious revival but they are fading away. Obamas wins were NOT anomalies...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 05, 2016 9:16 pm

TC Talks wrote: thanks for this...
Even in my darkest hour, I'm glad I can be a source of entertainment.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 05, 2016 9:19 pm

NS8401 wrote: Obamas wins were NOT anomalies...
:rollin Same guy, same qualifications (or lack thereof), same sordid history, with a lighter pigmentation, would have NEVER been elected.

Anyone that thinks differently is not being honest or delusional.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:25 pm

Bryce wrote:
NS8401 wrote: Obamas wins were NOT anomalies...
:rollin Same guy, same qualifications (or lack thereof), same sordid history, with a lighter pigmentation, would have NEVER been elected.

Anyone that thinks differently is not being honest or delusional.
2008 was a Democrats to lose. 2012 was the same.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic