Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 5:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Splain This Rucy!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 8570

Re: Splain This Rucy!

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:07 am

audiophile wrote:100% agree Bryce!

If you have ever owned a business there will be times when you take a big fat zero for a paycheck so your employees get paid in full and on time. There will also be times that the employees make more than you in a year.

A $15 dollar minimum wage doesn't give flexibility a business owner needs. If an inexperienced worker comes in says they will work reduced wage because they want to learn the ropes, why should a small business owner be required to pay $15 if the worker understands they are not worth it?

Or what if someone wants to volunteer in your business? Government tells you that you can't do that?
I don't think there is anything in law against volunteering...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:32 am

If you can't make money paying $15 an hour, maybe you shouldn't be in business. The $5 in productivity example suggests that maybe the problem isn't the wage, but the business concept.

Audio, I am a big fan of the defined multiplier of leader to entry level employee. Especially in public corporations.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:04 am

TC Talks wrote:If you can't make money paying $15 an hour, maybe you shouldn't be in business. The $5 in productivity example suggests that maybe the problem isn't the wage, but the business concept.

Audio, I am a big fan of the defined multiplier of leader to entry level employee. Especially in public corporations.
I don't get why lefties do not understand inflation. $15/hour is a TERRIBLE idea for minimum wage.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:10 am

Matt wrote:
TC Talks wrote:If you can't make money paying $15 an hour, maybe you shouldn't be in business. The $5 in productivity example suggests that maybe the problem isn't the wage, but the business concept.

I don't get why lefties do not understand inflation. $15/hour is a TERRIBLE idea for minimum wage.
Do the math, the lowest wage earners would still come out ahead. Raw materials impact inflation, not wages.

Image. Hourly wage to afford a two bedroom apartment. Many low wage earners have kids.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:17 am

Minimum wage is not intended to be a living wage. Its also basic economics that a rapid input price increase is going to increase inflation.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:09 am

NS8401 wrote:

If you have ever owned a business there will be times when you take a big fat zero for a paycheck so your employees get paid in full and on time. There will also be times that the employees make more than you in a year.

A $15 dollar minimum wage doesn't give flexibility a business owner needs. If an inexperienced worker comes in says they will work reduced wage because they want to learn the ropes, why should a small business owner be required to pay $15 if the worker understands they are not worth it?

Or what if someone wants to volunteer in your business? Government tells you that you can't do that?
I think you are wrong.

Under the FLSA, employees may not volunteer services to for-profit private sector employers.
http://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/flsa/d ... nteers.asp

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:04 am

audiophile wrote:
NS8401 wrote:

I think you are wrong.

Under the FLSA, employees may not volunteer services to for-profit private sector employers.
http://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/flsa/d ... nteers.asp
EMPLOYEES... I was talking about new people saying sure I'll help you and it's at no charge, not employees staying late on Saturday night for no pay...

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:07 pm

audiophile wrote:What if you employ the disabled because you want them to have purpose and dignity?

Do I have to pay them $15 an hour?
Paying someone less than minimum wage does not offer them "purpose and dignity." It is exploitation, pure and simple.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:26 pm

I never suggested less than current minimum waqe.

However if you're suggesting everyone should get paid the same, then we have difference of opinion.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:39 pm

audiophile wrote:I never suggested less than current minimum waqe.

However if you're suggesting everyone should get paid the same, then we have difference of opinion.
What if the person is handicapped but very very good at their job?

From a moral standpoint if you have more physical or mental issues it's almost always more expensive to exist, not paying them more could be immoral...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:24 pm

Then they should get more.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:26 pm

audiophile wrote:Then they should get more.
So you would advocate a 100% merit based system of pay?

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Volunteering is a 'fun' area of tax law. Many concert / sports venues use "volunteers" to staff concessions. The workers/volunteers are not paid, instead the venue "donates" a percentage to the charities that provide the volunteers. Very creative way to get VERY cheap labor - often for way less than minimum wage with zero benefits and workmans comp concerns.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Try selling a 5 dollar pizza being made by people making 15.00 per hour. Not my business model by the way, but the guy who came up with it seems to be doing pretty well.

If you think someone that has never worked before and has difficulty writing and reading can hit the floor in all positions and be worth 15.00 per hour out of the gate, your in some kind of pot induced utopia.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:45 am

They made that similar argument each time the minimum wage was raised. I don't see the good companies going out of business. BTW it's already law in Seattle, besides gripping, the sky has not fallen. Business adjusts or dies.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic