Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

American Gun Culture

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Mega Hertz

Re: American Gun Culture

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:20 pm

This is one of those things that it seems whatever letter is next to your name, you have to be THIS or THAT. You either have to be FOR 3 uzis and 4 flamethrowers and 9 hand guns at all times, or you want every single gun in the world confiscated and destroyed.

I've said since I moved in with my now wife that I would love to have a small piece to protect us with. Not to go to Subway with, not to brag how bad ass I am, but I just want to protect our home, the children and the dogs.

Now, my wife is a left wing Farmington Hills Jew. She's even further left than me. And she will NOT even hear of a gun in this house. And even if she did, she told me it would have to be double-safed, double hidden and the bullets have to be hidden elsewhere. Then what's the point? If someone breaks into our house, they already have the jump on me. And if he has a piece, I have to sneak and open the double locked safe, tiptoe over and find the bullets, get it loa--boom. I'm dead. What are we gonna do, talk about the intruder's childhood and traumas? It's either him or me. I don't think he broke in to ask for a cup of sugar. Not to mention, everyone else in this house is female. I can't discount horrible things happening to them sexually. I want to be prepared. And please don't think it would be the most fun thing in the world to potentially maim or kill someone. I know it wouldn't be.

I really don't see an issue with home protection. However, we really don't NEED to hunt. And I don't feel any safer because Bob has 3 machine guns at Chili's. People are making their entire identity out of a firearm.

I believe a major part of the problem is many Americans have seen Red Dawn, Dirty Harry and Fast and the Furious too many times. We live in a society where everybody has to be the most extreme. The biggest bad ass. Fastest guy on the road. Loudest truck at the intersection. We are a people that seem to be angry at all times, ready for a confrontation. The OTHER guy is gonna get one over on me and I ain't about to let that happen.

Look, I've been cut off in traffic or had my ass ridden by both lifted Chevys in Howell and Audis in Ann Arbor. Nobody's perfect. But we really need to bring the anger and hostility down a couple notches. And it's even easier on websites like this to come in and just be a total fucking prick, like that time Matt called me an asshole and compared me to Liberace 😉

My father had my late grandfather's hunting rifles right under their bed when I was a teen. But I just knew never to touch those, and God knows I didn't have the best home life in my late teens. I could just never bring myself to fuck with them. I knew what I could do and what potential consequences could come. Now where would I have learned something like that?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:39 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:08 pm
My thoughts? Either more people today are literally nuts than used to be, or more people who are literally nuts are not locked up in insane asylums than used to be. Because every one of these stories pertains to perps who are not rational-thinking individuals.
Or, as is the case with sexual assault, your access to these crimes via body cams and youtube is making you more aware that these crimes are happening.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Taco

Post by Taco » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:26 am

If it wasn't for the bullet, nobody would fear the gun. Seems people will find any reason to shoot somebody as mentioned in the examples in the OG post.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -- While this is a right, in my opinion is was more meant for the times it was written in. Who would have thought things would have turned out how they have in the future (today)? Seems things are turning back to the old west mentality of shoot first, ask questions later. Just because we can bear arms doesn't mean those arms cannot be regulated as in laws governing them. The far right think their guns will be taken away just because of stronger background check policies and stupid shit like that.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:48 am

Taco wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:26 am
If it wasn't for the bullet, nobody would fear the gun. Seems people will find any reason to shoot somebody as mentioned in the examples in the OG post.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -- While this is a right, in my opinion is was more meant for the times it was written in. Who would have thought things would have turned out how they have in the future (today)? Seems things are turning back to the old west mentality of shoot first, ask questions later. Just because we can bear arms doesn't mean those arms cannot be regulated as in laws governing them. The far right think their guns will be taken away just because of stronger background check policies and stupid shit like that.
The second part is also contingent on the first. They were clearly talking about having a militia and not unfettered access to guns for whatever reason you desire. Folks who are really into guns totally ignore the militia part to the point it might as well either be a different amendment or just not there. But you don’t include it there for fun.

Taco

Post by Taco » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:46 am

Sometimes I feel the constitution should be modernized for today's world while keeping its core values. Today's times are vastly different than the times when the constitution was drafted. Things have vastly changed here in the 2020's versus the 1700's. It only seems logical to keep up with the times.
Rate This wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:48 am
Taco wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:26 am

The second part is also contingent on the first. They were clearly talking about having a militia and not unfettered access to guns for whatever reason you desire. Folks who are really into guns totally ignore the militia part to the point it might as well either be a different amendment or just not there. But you don’t include it there for fun.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:44 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:20 pm
This is one of those things that it seems whatever letter is next to your name, you have to be THIS or THAT. You either have to be FOR 3 uzis and 4 flamethrowers and 9 hand guns at all times, or you want every single gun in the world confiscated and destroyed.

I've said since I moved in with my now wife that I would love to have a small piece to protect us with. Not to go to Subway with, not to brag how bad ass I am, but I just want to protect our home, the children and the dogs.

Now, my wife is a left wing Farmington Hills Jew. She's even further left than me. And she will NOT even hear of a gun in this house. And even if she did, she told me it would have to be double-safed, double hidden and the bullets have to be hidden elsewhere. Then what's the point? If someone breaks into our house, they already have the jump on me. And if he has a piece, I have to sneak and open the double locked safe, tiptoe over and find the bullets, get it loa--boom. I'm dead. What are we gonna do, talk about the intruder's childhood and traumas? It's either him or me. I don't think he broke in to ask for a cup of sugar. Not to mention, everyone else in this house is female. I can't discount horrible things happening to them sexually. I want to be prepared. And please don't think it would be the most fun thing in the world to potentially maim or kill someone. I know it wouldn't be.

I really don't see an issue with home protection. However, we really don't NEED to hunt. And I don't feel any safer because Bob has 3 machine guns at Chili's. People are making their entire identity out of a firearm.

I believe a major part of the problem is many Americans have seen Red Dawn, Dirty Harry and Fast and the Furious too many times. We live in a society where everybody has to be the most extreme. The biggest bad ass. Fastest guy on the road. Loudest truck at the intersection. We are a people that seem to be angry at all times, ready for a confrontation. The OTHER guy is gonna get one over on me and I ain't about to let that happen.

Look, I've been cut off in traffic or had my ass ridden by both lifted Chevys in Howell and Audis in Ann Arbor. Nobody's perfect. But we really need to bring the anger and hostility down a couple notches. And it's even easier on websites like this to come in and just be a total fucking prick, like that time Matt called me an asshole and compared me to Liberace 😉

My father had my late grandfather's hunting rifles right under their bed when I was a teen. But I just knew never to touch those, and God knows I didn't have the best home life in my late teens. I could just never bring myself to fuck with them. I knew what I could do and what potential consequences could come. Now where would I have learned something like that?
So you were just checking the mail, get it, checking the male?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:03 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:44 am
Mega Hertz wrote:

So you were just checking the mail, get it, checking the male?
That's fucked up. I just had that album on a little while ago lol

Wait. It's Versace.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:15 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
And you SHOULD have that right, uninfringed, to defend yourself or your family. "Help is only minutes away, when seconds count."
Mega Hertz wrote:
However, we really don't NEED to hunt.
YOU might not need to hunt, and YOU might not know anyone who needs to. However there are MILLIONS of folks who DO "need" to hunt to provide for themselves and their families, especially with higher cost of groceries these days. No different than growing your own vegetables in the back yard, is going to get some proteins to supplement them.
Mega Hertz wrote:
Curious where YOU think you learned something like that?

Rate This wrote:
This has been debated thousands of times before, and you're just plain wrong. If you don't believe the actual words in the amendment, then read up on what the framers were thinking when they wrote that section.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:43 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:15 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
And you SHOULD have that right, uninfringed, to defend yourself or your family. "Help is only minutes away, when seconds count."
Mega Hertz wrote:
However, we really don't NEED to hunt.
YOU might not need to hunt, and YOU might not know anyone who needs to. However there are MILLIONS of folks who DO "need" to hunt to provide for themselves and their families, especially with higher cost of groceries these days. No different than growing your own vegetables in the back yard, is going to get some proteins to supplement them.
Mega Hertz wrote:
Curious where YOU think you learned something like that?

Rate This wrote:
This has been debated thousands of times before, and you're just plain wrong. If you don't believe the actual words in the amendment, then read up on what the framers were thinking when they wrote that section.
Evidently English is lost on you… the comma directly connects the first part to the second part. So a well regulated militia is necessary for freedom therefore the government can’t take the guns away. It doesn’t say anything about defending individuals, or your family or the local liquor store or a hoedown. The courts “found” that later on.

The reality is the amendment is poorly written. But I’ll take the writing at face value. If we are interpreting it in historical context which is the courts new thing… only guns available on or before the date it was ratified in 1791 are to be legal. Nobody could have intended high capacity weapons to be a part of it since they didn’t exist. There problem solved. Primitive guns are legal. Anything after 1791 isn’t.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:55 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:43 pm
Nobody could have intended high capacity weapons to be a part of it since they didn’t exist. There problem solved. Primitive guns are legal. Anything after 1791 isn’t.
Would you similarly suggest that speech spoken over radio waves or typed/posted on the internet aren't protected by the First Amendment?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:58 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:55 pm
Rate This wrote:
Nobody could have intended high capacity weapons to be a part of it since they didn’t exist. There problem solved. Primitive guns are legal. Anything after 1791 isn’t.
Would you similarly suggest that speech spoken over radio waves or typed/posted on the internet aren't protected by the First Amendment?
You could make that argument… this is why literal or originalist ideas don’t work.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:43 pm

bmw wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Although this thread isn't about the Second Amendment or the Constitution, you make an interesting argument that might actually have some validity... as well as the validity of Section 231 or whatever law deems to protect phone companies and Internet providers.

But here is what this thread is about.. chain saws, baseball bats and butcher knives are all legal and there Is certainly no risk of the government mandating "chain saw control" or "confiscating your baseball bat." Why did all the upright stand your ground citizens not choose one of these when they felt threatened? Why guns?
km1125 wrote: And you SHOULD have that right, uninfringed, to defend yourself or your family.
Curious, does that right extend to shooting them in your front yard at 11pm? Brandishing it to keep the kids and their basketballs out of your flower garden?

At some point, this discussion turns to fear - the fear that (in my uneducated guess) with be used as a defense for all those mentioned in the OP. Where did that fear come from? I've never been afraid of a few kids trying to retrieve a ball that went over my fence. I've never called 911 because someone was turning around in my driveway. Why are we all so afraid?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:49 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:43 pm
bmw wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Although this thread isn't about the Second Amendment or the Constitution, you make an interesting argument that might actually have some validity... as well as the validity of Section 231 or whatever law deems to protect phone companies and Internet providers.

But here is what this thread is about.. chain saws, baseball bats and butcher knives are all legal and there Is certainly no risk of the government mandating "chain saw control" or "confiscating your baseball bat." Why did all the upright stand your ground citizens not choose one of these when they felt threatened? Why guns?
km1125 wrote: And you SHOULD have that right, uninfringed, to defend yourself or your family.
Curious, does that right extend to shooting them in your front yard at 11pm? Brandishing it to keep the kids and their basketballs out of your flower garden?

At some point, this discussion turns to fear - the fear that (in my uneducated guess) with be used as a defense for all those mentioned in the OP. Where did that fear come from? I've never been afraid of a few kids trying to retrieve a ball that went over my fence. I've never called 911 because someone was turning around in my driveway. Why are we all so afraid?
Because humans cannot comprehend numbers above about 250… so 30 people affected by crime a day equals “CRIME IS EVERYWHERE AND WE MUST PROTECT OURSELVES!”. Just to reinforce the idea we have the media and politicians promising us this is the case.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:56 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:

Why do you make that leap that "the discussion turns to fear"?? The incidents you cited in the OP certainly don't sound like "fear" to me, it sounds more like what Mega Hertz was describing - folks being "fed up" and "not going to take it anymore". That's anger, not fear. And as some have noted, that anger led to (what appears to be) unreasonable actions.

The only "fear" might be those who cower at the mention of a gun or fear being around one.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:02 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:56 pm
FakeAndyStuart wrote:

Why do you make that leap that "the discussion turns to fear"?? The incidents you cited in the OP certainly don't sound like "fear" to me, it sounds more like what Mega Hertz was describing - folks being "fed up" and "not going to take it anymore". That's anger, not fear. And as some have noted, that anger led to (what appears to be) unreasonable actions.

The only "fear" might be those who cower at the mention of a gun or fear being around one.
So you are trying to tell me the guy was fed up with cars turning around in his driveway and took a stand? Or someone knocked on someone’s door and had the wrong house and the guy took a stand? It’s fear. It isn’t being fed up. If it were then these people are completely unhinged from the get go even in a vacuum.

Being afraid of being around an object that can kill you instantly without objection isn’t irrational in the slightest by the way. Neither is being fearful of someone openly carrying that you don’t know. A gun is a tool with a singular purpose… killing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic