Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Political Violence Hits Home

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
UP906

Re: Political Violence Hits Home

Post by UP906 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:02 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:57 pm
I agree with what you say completely. I was kinda trying to steer him away from getting a pistol for reasons I'm sure you are aware of.

8's and 9's at 20 yards is a bunch easier, with little training, using a Mossberg with buck than a 9mm.
I'll take a seasoned marksman with a POS .22 over a greenhorn with a shotty any day of the week.

But yeah, I totally get where you're coming from.

Thread Killer

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Agree with UP 100%.

Between that cocksucking poacher and this...we're on a little roll here.

Guessing that ends in a few days :lol:
It doesn't have to. Why don't you just be reasonable and see things my way?

Sheesh...

:hat
Thread Killer

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:09 pm

UP906 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Agree with UP 100%.

Between that cocksucking poacher and this...we're on a little roll here.

Guessing that ends in a few days :lol:
It doesn't have to. Why don't you just be reasonable and see things my way?

Sheesh...

:hat
:lol

I am convinced you and I could actually have a few beers and have a decent conversation. .

Then I would eventually say something over the line and you would beat the living shit out of me.
The censorship king from out of state.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Nah... I'm about as non violent a person you will ever meet.

Sticks and stones and all that...
Thread Killer

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:24 pm

This got me to thinking...

Have you ever hit anyone Honeyman? I mean... thrown a haymaker with the intent of knocking their head off their shoulders?

When it lands, it fucking hurts. I'm too old to be busting my hands up on some random melon.

LOL!
Thread Killer

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:32 pm

UP906 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:24 pm

Have you ever hit anyone Honeyman? I mean... thrown a haymaker with the intent of knocking their head off their shoulders?

When it lands, it fucking hurts. I'm too old to be busting my hands up on some random melon.

LOL!
Honestly, I got in 2 fistfights in my life and lost them both.

Looking back, one I deserved to lose because I was wrong. The other was defending a good female friend of mine who was treated like shit. Really got the crap beat of me that time, but it was 3-1.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:35 pm

I've been in many. Won some, lost some.

Don't even remember why most of them started.

Point is... I'm done with that fist fighting stuff.
Thread Killer

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:37 pm

UP906 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:35 pm
I've been in many. Won some, lost some.

Don't even remember why most of them started.

Point is... I'm done with that fist fighting stuff.
Me too!

I'm gonna retire with my perfect record! :rollin

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:39 pm

You better be doing some really dastardly shit if you want to see my bad side, but if you do... I got a heater for your ass. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Not you Honeyman, the general "you".
Thread Killer

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:23 pm

Bryce wrote:
I agree with what you say completely. I was kinda trying to steer him away from getting a pistol for reasons I'm sure you are aware of.

8's and 9's at 20 yards is a bunch easier, with little training, using a Mossberg with buck than a 9mm.
What's wrong with a pistol?
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:10 am

UP and Honeyman and co.:
Fortunately one of my best friends is a gun enthusiast (and not in a TT’s adventures in Niceville sort of way he’s anal about safety). He’s offered to let me come over and do a little shooting and get a feel for it. Try to explain some of the basics about it. I’ve resisted that for a long time but I’m ready to bite the bullet I think pardon the pun. So hopefully the next couple weeks I’ll be able to get over there and get some idea of what it’s all about.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:20 am

It's all about what you put into it RT. Guns are simply tools. You can lay a gun next to a hammer and they will do the same thing... just lay there. The minute they both change personality is when humans become involved.

Don't fear the firearm, but respect it.

Have you ever thrown darts? Shooting at paper is akin to throwing darts at 3000fps. It's a riot... have fun with it.
Thread Killer

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:08 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:23 pm
Bryce wrote:

Nothing. Nothing at all. I have several. Inside my home, they (pistols) are my third level of defense. First are the dogs, second is a 12-guage pump and third is a pistol.

To be really good with a handgun, like anything else in life, it takes a fair amount of training. To hit what your shooting at with a 12-guage with 00 buck, even under the stress of a home invasion, less is required.

Even with lots of range time with a handgun and being proficient at various distances and all the safety protocols in place, that can all go out the window when you throw the stress quotient into the mix. Practicing shooting under stress is something the average handgun owner never does, but really should.

If someone has no desire to ever carry a gun for personal and family safety outside the home, and is only going to purchase one firearm for home protection, the 12-guage pump would be the first one I would try out. The second would be a 20-guage. Plus, there is just something that the sound made by racking a shotgun shell that can stop even the craziest person dead in their tracks.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:14 am

UP906 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:24 pm

LOL!
As you age, you realize that palm, forearm and elbow strikes hurt a LOT less. Breaking your Metacarpals is just not as much fun as it used to be. :)
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:30 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:08 am
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:23 pm
Bryce wrote:

Nothing. Nothing at all. I have several. Inside my home, they (pistols) are my third level of defense. First are the dogs, second is a 12-guage pump and third is a pistol.

To be really good with a handgun, like anything else in life, it takes a fair amount of training. To hit what your shooting at with a 12-guage with 00 buck, even under the stress of a home invasion, less is required.

Even with lots of range time with a handgun and being proficient at various distances and all the safety protocols in place, that can all go out the window when you throw the stress quotient into the mix. Practicing shooting under stress is something the average handgun owner never does, but really should.

If someone has no desire to ever carry a gun for personal and family safety outside the home, and is only going to purchase one firearm for home protection, the 12-guage pump would be the first one I would try out. The second would be a 20-guage. Plus, there is just something that the sound made by racking a shotgun shell that can stop even the craziest person dead in their tracks.
I agree with you Bryce, but let's think about the ranges that one would see in a home invasion scenario. In my opinion you aren't going to see distances beyond the magical seven yards.

So... even with an open choke, are you going to see the shot even leave the wad in that distance? I really don't think so. This means shot placement is just as important with a shotty as it is with a pistol.

Now, assuming the above is true, you are carrying a large and heavy weapon that requires somewhat precise aim to be effective.

Now let's take our novice shooter with his heavy weapon and see if he can clear a room properly. If he can't, I feel that the odds of him having his weapon taken away from him increase dramatically. Now we have a worst case scenario.

What it boils down to in my opinion is training, training, training, no matter what weapon our novice shooter chooses.
Thread Killer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic